Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cannonball

Ultimate Doom “In Name Only” - [Limit Removing] - Artist for titlepic/M-Doom etc needed

In the end central processing is rather generic, it could be for any purpose, be it a central waste or nukage processing plant or a large administration building I guess.
For the former then this map could work, though the processor having its own reactor might be a bit of a stretch. Also I must say that I wouldn't want you to change the map that drastically just to fit it into this project which will have a more gentle difficulty curve as opposed to this map and say the episodes I do as a solo effort for example.
In the end it might be for the best to strive for a new map for the E1M2 slot from you and leave E1M6 open for now, unless you feel comfortable making some heavy changes to the map in question to get it to fit into the E1M6 slot more comfortably.

cannonball said:

In the end it might be for the best to strive for a new map for the E1M2 slot from you and leave E1M6 open for now, unless you feel comfortable making some heavy changes to the map in question to get it to fit into the E1M6 slot more comfortably.

Yeah, I'm too happy with the way it turned out to defang it for this project, even though, paradoxically, it was originally made for this project. ;D Just one of those things that got out of hand and became a map I wanted to do as opposed to a map I needed to make for UDINO E1. I agree with tourniquet more than it seems I did in my commentary. I put it up knowing it was a better fit for a late E2 map, but there are no open late E2 slots, so there ya go. It'll be the core of my own E2 in the not-so-distant future . . . I hope!

Meantime, I'll use mouldy's cooling tower map as the core for E1M2. It will be a significantly smaller map with no Cacos or Lost Souls!!!! ;D I'll be aiming for 120 monsters, max, hopefully less.

SteveD said:

Yeah, I'm too happy with the way it turned out to defang it for this project, even though, paradoxically, it was originally made for this project. ;D Just one of those things that got out of hand and became a map I wanted to do as opposed to a map I needed to make for UDINO E1. I agree with tourniquet more than it seems I did in my commentary. I put it up knowing it was a better fit for a late E2 map, but there are no open late E2 slots, so there ya go. It'll be the core of my own E2 in the not-so-distant future . . . I hope!

Meantime, I'll use mouldy's cooling tower map as the core for E1M2. It will be a significantly smaller map with no Cacos or Lost Souls!!!! ;D I'll be aiming for 120 monsters, max, hopefully less.

Cool beans, I look forward to your E1M2 entry.
Right so E1M6, I am tempted to make a map for this with a few ideas in my head, but if someone really wants this slot then speak now (Well within a few days) or forever hold your peace.
E3M8 is open to anyone as well, given it is the final level I would love to see someone make something really memorable for it.

SteveD said:

As a side note, I wish you Boomers would turn off infinite height, at least for casual play. Must we make holy id's most glaring mistake? :) But you're right, given my fetish for Cacoswarms and clouds of Lost Souls, I should always play maps like this in PrBoom.

I don't really enjoy playing without infinite height, it feels unnatural to me. Furthermore this was still a Vanilla project back when you first posted the map so you actually wouldn't even have the option to turn it off ;)

Anyways, started playing some maps.

E1M1: I don't know if this is the best approach to start this mapset. I generally like the concept of climbing up a hill to reach the hangar but it feels a tad to big for an opener. The monster count seems also a bit too high. The hangar fight could use some tweaks. Generally i think the map needs some serious edits, first if all the removal of that weird, huge easteregg room.

E1M3: Solid map, no complaints and bonus points for the 'lights off' trap.

tourniquet said:

I don't really enjoy playing without infinite height, it feels unnatural to me. Furthermore this was still a Vanilla project back when you first posted the map so you actually wouldn't even have the option to turn it off ;)

You're right! Not that it mattered IMO because I thought the Reactor Room and Dynamo Room fights were fine with infinite height. However, I just thought of something -- with 58 Lost Souls, 24 Cacos, and some Pinkies, Imps and Sergeants all onscreen at once, that should exceed the vanilla Thing Limit, which IIRC is 64. Oh, well. :D

I'm pulling out of this project since revising and adding my e3m3 entry to Project Einherjar, and since dobu gabu maru is also slated for the same slot. Shoulda posted this a while ago but it kept slipping my mind.

I forgot about this! good to see that it's still being worked on. I didn't see anything when skimming through but is there any work needed doing on my map E3M1? I seem to remember finishing it up but just in case.

At last, the revisions for E4M2 are -- I think -- finished.

Download here; http://www.mediafire.com/file/f4m17n5x2cy7cea/UDINO42cg.wad

What's been done:
A lot of re-texturing, aligning, adding of detail and, yes, even moar monsters!!!! Oh, dat Plasma Gun warp-in. ;)
Added this huge wood and metal structure in the starting area.
Created a new secret exit and path. The player can actually see where it is now, they just have to figure out how to get there. Of course there's an exit fight, inspired by material from the original. I think I was a bit merciful here, others may disagree. I've played it and I didn't die that much, actually. Let me know if it needs to be beefed-up.

I still have a question about the Backpack secret. I added another Backpack in a secret location so the player has 2 opportunities. I'm thinking it might be a better idea to make it a gimme somewhere.

I haven't kept track of all the midis, so here's hoping this one isn't already taken. I'm using Flatulence Control by Jimmy.

Some screenshots;

Looking good SteveD, I will play this properly after this weekend when I have some spare time and are not worrying about fluffing my lines at the registry office. :P

I did cautiously start a design for E1M6, though I scrapped it almost immediately.

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 10:27 PM, SteveD said:

As a side note, I wish you Boomers would turn off infinite height, at least for casual play. Must we make holy id's most glaring mistake? :) But you're right, given my fetish for Cacoswarms and clouds of Lost Souls, I should always play maps like this in PrBoom.

It's been a while since I've actually looked at the compatibility options instead of just using the -complevel command line argument, but I'm pretty sure that "no infinite height" isn't even an option in PrBoom-plus.

E4M2 - SteveD

Much better in my opinion, the start is much better to negotiate with enough ammo to clear the initial chaos, the rest is tough but fair overall, I like the new approach to the secret exit too, one suggestion would be that the exit teleporter could be initially inaccessible as at the moment you can simply run to the exit as the cyber doesn't block the teleporter effectively, maybe a switch to lower this would be a good idea.

Otherwise Good job.

Edited by cannonball

rUQXsyK.jpg

Phew, after months of work, I finally have Pandemonium finished! Well, mostly finished anyway. Needs playtesting from other people and I need to more thoroughly test the lower difficulties (they're there, but they may not be balanced well). Download here

Real happy with how this one turned out. Wish I could've fleshed out the area at the top of the map a little more, but the map is a handful of sectors away from requiring extended nodes :(

EDIT: stupid doom 2 textures slipped in

Edited by dobu gabu maru

Wow, that is a real beast, I will try to give it a real test when I get back from work today. Anyway I have updated the OP at the very least.

Finally played your map dobu, man that was pretty brutal at times. Interesting that sergeants are used very sparingly and to be honest that was a good choice, the majority of the monsters are imps and zombiemen.

In all honesty the only real complaint is that the map was a little difficult to navigate and the map will be a real pain to max as monsters can wander into random nooks and crannies. In terms of the set pieces on offer here, I must say that they all work really well and are very fun to tackle, the imp switch section can be easily beaten if you avoid going into the middle of the huge section where fireballs will come from all angles, going around the outside takes the majority of these out and I tended to be easily missed at close range. I don't know whether this was intentional or not though. 

The sections by the drop to the blue key are frenetic and fun with a huge plasma span shoot out with a perilous cyber fight following, the second some will not enjoy but I like how the player is warned of the set up prior to this fight.

I know that long maps were scoffed upon in D2INO, but this is the first entry so far with any serious length to it, also given Walter's E3M4 is pretty short then I have no issues with the length of this, plus it only took me around 25 minutes play time to get through this once I got my bearings.

Good job, but I expected nothing less :)

18 hours ago, UAC-Janitor said:

No Open spots? Dang.

Well.... E1M6 is technically open, I have started something but if someone really wants the spot then I will chalk their name up.

E3M8 is free as Antroid is unlikely to return with a map in the distant future.

Other maps I have not had any replies from, I will be working to address this at some point soon. So a choice of E1M6 or E3M8 if you want something now or wait a little and some more slots might open up.

Edit - PMs sent to all authors who have not submitted maps who have not posted updates in a long while so hopefully there will be some clarity on the slots available soonish I hope.

Edited by cannonball

Sick map DGM. I don't necessarily disagree with the "complaints" cannonball voiced but on the other hand I really liked the way that the monsters can pursue the player freely. Works especially well with the Barons since you don't really have the resources to take them out at first so you're better off just ignoring them, which can lead to some interesting situations (e.g. I almost got checkmated by two early in my FDA when I just had the CG). Navigation is a little bit confusing yes, but the automap helps and certainly helped me in locating the entrance to the BSK area. Aesthetically the map is superb of course, like every other DGM map before this.

Set piece fights are indeed really fun and original. The key to succeed seems to be to hold fire and move but that's fine heh. Excellent use of damaging floors in the set pieces of the BSK branch, forcing the player to multitask instead of just spamming plasma. Imp cavern is also really cool, although it looks way more intimidating than it actually is.

FDA in the attachment, played glboom+ -cl3 on UV. No deaths but a few sticky situations and it took me about a half an hour to finish. 

udino_dgm_e3m3_FDA.zip

5 hours ago, cannonball said:

Well.... E1M6 is technically open, I have started something but if someone really wants the spot then I will chalk their name up.

E3M8 is free as Antroid is unlikely to return with a map in the distant future.

Other maps I have not had any replies from, I will be working to address this at some point soon. So a choice of E1M6 or E3M8 if you want something now or wait a little and some more slots might open up.

Edit - PMs sent to all authors who have not submitted maps who have not posted updates in a long while so hopefully there will be some clarity on the slots available soonish I hope.

Lets see, I don't know How I'd do E3M8 with just the name Dis.. Maybe Disrespect the player by throwing enemies at him in hazardous enviorments with unknown traps and free roaming of places he'd think is the way to go, but really he's wasting his time? A big maze, a couple of barons and caco's to. It couldn't hurt, would it?

Dis is a city in Hell in Dante's Divine Comedy. In Roman mythology, Dis was a god of the underworld.

Just now, Eris Falling said:

Dis is a city in Hell in Dante's Divine Comedy. In Roman mythology, Dis was a god of the underworld.

Thank you so much for that clarification, I will search more into the Mythology and take some inspiration from it.

By the way, Does anyone know any Limit-Removing Engines? I see strawberry doom as an option and Chocolate doom to, and which mapping format do I use to?

42 minutes ago, UAC-Janitor said:

By the way, Does anyone know any Limit-Removing Engines? I see strawberry doom as an option and Chocolate doom to, and which mapping format do I use to?

Limit removing is the use of vanilla actions only, but without the limits on visplanes/drawsegs. So you have the option to go to town on detail levels but you have to stick to the usage of actions from vanilla. No boom or zdoom actions.

Just to add, E1M7, E2M3 and E3M2 are now open to anyone who wants to claim a slot.

Edited by cannonball

Chocolate Doom isn't limit removing, I'd recommend testing your map in PrBoom+ (put -complevel 3 in the command line). The map format itself is vanilla, should be called either "Doom" or something like "Doom: Doom (Doom format)"