Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cannonball

Ultimate Doom “In Name Only” - [Limit Removing] - Artist for titlepic/M-Doom etc needed

51 minutes ago, cannonball said:

Limit removing is the use of vanilla actions only, but without the limits on visplanes/drawsegs. So you have the option to go to town on detail levels but you have to stick to the usage of actions from vanilla. No boom or zdoom actions.

Just to add, E1M7, E2M3 and E3M2 are now open to anyone who wants to claim a slot.

I claim E3M8, Can I add some Open world-ness to it? Ive been wanting to make a city type level for awhile, especially a Hell one!

1 minute ago, UAC-Janitor said:

I claim E3M8, Can I add some Open world-ness to it? Ive been wanting to make a city type level for awhile, especially a Hell one!

Cool I will pencil you in.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

7 hours ago, cannonball said:

In all honesty the only real complaint is that the map was a little difficult to navigate and the map will be a real pain to max as monsters can wander into random nooks and crannies.

Yeah, the former isn't something that's easy to fix without some more serious reworking (I do love my confusing cave layouts), and the latter is one I share the concern of. If I end up playing the map a few more times, I might take a look at where monsters get stuck and lay down teleport lines to send them somewhere else, as looking for that last monster in the map is a real pain in the ass.

Kudos on finding the danmaku cave cheese—I actually hadn't thought of that! I'll leave it in since I'm not really perturbed if the player cheeses that section.

I like the option of adding some monster teleport lines as it also adds an extra level of chaos that fits with the map name.

E3M7 is now also an open slot.

Edited by cannonball

20 minutes ago, Benjogami said:

I'll take E3M2. Got some ideas brewing.

Consider yourself hired. 

Mmmmm I really want that E2M3 slot... I even have an idea already... How many maps do I have? I can probably squeeze one more in. Is there any particular time frame I should worry about? 

I have an idea for E1M7 but it'll be a couple months until I get around to it. You can pencil me in but if someone has a better idea they're more than welcome to take the slot.

Just let someone else have the slot lol no reason to hog it to myself when I'm not going to be using it for a while

12 minutes ago, NecrumWarrior said:

Mmmmm I really want that E2M3 slot... I even have an idea already... How many maps do I have? I can probably squeeze one more in. Is there any particular time frame I should worry about? 

Time wise, hmm I would say by the end of the year to try and get a workable Beta out, I won't post anything strict as to be frank that would make me a huge hypocrite. But sure take a stab at E2M3.

As for Dobu I can imagine some fantastic map made entirely made from the computer textures and I must admit I really like the sound of it.

13 minutes ago, cannonball said:

As for Dobu I can imagine some fantastic map made entirely made from the computer textures and I must admit I really like the sound of it.

Yeah that's what was working in my head (with Lost Souls being the main enemy) but I'd rather let someone else take a chance at making it if they also have a good idea. If it's still open when I'm done with all my other mapping commitments I'll take it, but no need to claim it now.

I told SteveD I'd play his new version of E4M2 so took a whirl on it today. Really liking it, especially the new route to the secret exit, looks very nice and it's almost a bit Romeroian in a way, being able to see the outside and then reach it later for secrets. The level as a whole looks very nice as well, good use of the limit removal to look detailed enough without being overboard.

If I had to pick a part that felt a bit underwhelming to me, it'd probably be the BFG secret... though I did finally get to it after completing the rest of the map, so that might be why. But maybe could use some more monsters in it, given that you just got a BFG.

Cannonball's idea of maybe making the secret exit pad higher and need a switch to lower it isn't a bad one - I did try just running past the cyber, and it took me a couple tries, but it is certainly possible. Could put the switch at the end of one of the cliffs where the imps are. Part me of even says you could add in another caco swarm but the one on the plasma gun already filled my quota.

My E3M8 Is looking great so far, its going to be a very open space type of level until you find your way up to the lava enlightened City of Dis! Then you must go keycard hunting through lava pools through Urban looking Hell homes, eventually you'll be able to find all 3 key cards and stomp your way into the hardest spider demon fight there mustve been in the history of mankind.

4 minutes ago, UAC-Janitor said:

My E3M8 Is looking great so far, its going to be a very open space type of level until you find your way up to the lava enlightened City of Dis! Then you must go keycard hunting through lava pools through Urban looking Hell homes, eventually you'll be able to find all 3 key cards and stomp your way into the hardest spider demon fight there mustve been in the history of mankind.

I can picture it so clearly in my mind! Except the spider demon fight. I don't want to imagine that...

Sounds intense. A climax that Doom deserves. 

I was just playing the map I'll be replacing just to see what id did, and my god nothing about this map screams "Refinery". The only thing that remotely indicates such is the slime floors, and maybe we pistons but those are hell formed so idk if they even functioned the same way before. My idea seems far more appropriate. This will be very interesting. 

Edited by NecrumWarrior

6 hours ago, Magnusblitz said:

Cannonball's idea of maybe making the secret exit pad higher and need a switch to lower it isn't a bad one - I did try just running past the cyber, and it took me a couple tries, but it is certainly possible. Could put the switch at the end of one of the cliffs where the imps are. Part me of even says you could add in another caco swarm but the one on the plasma gun already filled my quota.

Thanks, Magnus and cb, for giving it a go. And thanks also to Magnus for pushing me to make the secret exit better.

I'll use cb's idea for a raised exit platform. If I lift it a good 64 units, that also gives Cybie a better firing angle on the player.

I'll put a switch on the north side, because if players use the wide fighting platform I gave them for dealing with Cybie, the northside Imps get blocked from the action. Putting a switch over there gives them something to do.

I agree that the BFG secret is a bit underwhelming if you grab it late, whereas grabbing it early serves as a relief from the hot start. I could add moar monsters there, maybe some Imps.

I tried a Cacoswarm at the secret exit, but it's too easy to get back to the entrance and potshot them with rockets. The Imps gave better bang for the buck.

I'll get the new version up this week. I also want to go and die a bunch on Dobu's new map. ;)

1 hour ago, paymentplan said:

I can picture it so clearly in my mind! Except the spider demon fight. I don't want to imagine that...

3 Spiderdemons, Little to no cover, Acid Pits, You name it.

Looks interesting so far, take your time though, no need to rush the production of your map :)

Anyway, I am starting to churn out some room designs at least and something resembling a layout for E1M6.

e1m6cb.png

I am going to make a large waste processing plant with plenty of moving parts hopefully deep within the base.

Ultimate Doom fanboy here, really liking what I see so far. Good luck with this project.

Also Dobu's take on "Pandemonium" is awesome. The map was indeed a bit hard to navigate and I had to resort to using the automap to find the way to the BSK, but aside from that the combat is solid - I like the pressure put early on by the two Barons that force you to run away into other enemies, and the BSK trap itself is great, somehow reminiscent of the "snake" part in Saturnine Chapel. In comparison, the Imp bullet hell part is intimidating at first, but not too hard if you now what you're doing.
Truly remarkable work here by Dobu, as usual :)
No FDA sadly, as I was playing with ZDoom with saves, sorry.

Edited by WH-Wilou84

Played Dobu's Pandemonium yesterday on HMP, here's some thoughts:

- ignoring the BK Cyber(s?) the hardest part was easily the CG spam fight, at least on HMP and seemingly on HNTR as well. Also, it felt like the lowering floor area with the PG was just a recycle of this fight, although this fight was actually easier on PG cause there is a much lower enemy density considering the power of each weapon. But, i can see the logic of recycling this kind of encounter given the map name, it was still fun enough.

- as there were 2 Cybers with the disappearing floor in the BK fight, i basically thought 'fuck this' and cheesed it, never to return. I see you removed one which is probably good really, but with only one you could maybe put it blocking the BK, removing the cheese factor and making the most of those disappearing floors as a pressure point. With no blockage to the key i would just grab it and go every time.

- lack of rad suits is a fuckin pain cause i wanted to explore this vast map you made (and there is lots of little nooks to seek out), but felt i couldn't cause i had to ration them... IDBEHOLDR ensued.

Also i see E3M7 is open, and god help me for opting in to another CP map but i'd like to have a crack at it, if my idea sounds appropriate for 'Limbo' - basically a siege map, where you are stranded on a very remote vista/structure/archipelago type thing, kinda like a Sunder map05 enviroment but a smaller playing area, and you have to defend yourself until you can escape. Sound any good? (haven't forgotten about E2M8, just stuck on it right now).

The CG spam fight is hard on HMP because it has the same enemy placement as UV currently :P I thought I had balanced each area but apparently not. Also it's not exactly a "recycled" fight—the CG fight is about being mindful of the layout and grabbing the two powerups, while the PG fight is way more suppression/hold a corner oriented. The second cyb was never intended to be in the map, and people are likely to get splattered attempting to ride the lift so there's no need to really "de-cheese" it. Also do you have a specific problem with the number of radsuits? I changed it so the ones at the bottom are no longer unobtainable after you grab the BK, and even if you don't know the layout super well there should be more than enough to max the map.

Well, makes sense re. the CG fight - i just know it was way more intense and pressurised than the latter PR fight, i got one of those thrill of survival moments with it anyway :D  My comment about recycling was basically cause i just used the same tactic in both fights, kept that finger down on the fire button, and it felt easier to me in the PR area cause the terrain isn't a factor and like i said, there were more enemies crowding me rather than just several Barons, but i guess it's not really comparable in some ways given what you say about the UV placement. These are just passing thoughts i had while playing anyway :)  With those Cybers, if you can time the lift it is pretty easy, i had both of em alive and got away unharmed - maybe i was just lucky, maybe i timed it nicely.

With the radsuits, i just think that generally i like to explore EVERYTHING and actually look for secrets first time through, and when you are suit-limited with a lot of terrain to cover it limits that possibility. Probably this is a personal preference though. I guess if i played the map now, knowing that there are spares hidden out in the ocean, then it would be ok, but definitely for a first time playthrough it had an effect.

39 minutes ago, Scotty said:

With those Cybers, if you can time the lift it is pretty easy

I think giving speedrunners a chance to skip the fight is A-OK with me. And the exploration complaint is understandable—I figured the map would kinda piss off nukage haters and obsessive item collectors—but it's acceptable collateral given the type of map I was aiming for. Thanks for mentioning it anyway, figure it's good to get a general sense on how all types feel about this style of play.

I'd like to:

1. Ask about E2M4, if it's OK to keep it in the project or better reject it, as I remember receiving complaints about it from back then, but I don't know how to address them while keeping the gimmick that I've built the map around, so if it had to be heavily redesigned, I'd rather not have the slot anymore.

2. Claim E1M7 and make it a map full of Doom1-specific tech/computer textures such as COMPOHSO.

^ I took E1M7 in the post just above yours, but I'm OK with you taking it instead if that's the one map slot you want the most.