Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cannonball

Ultimate Doom “In Name Only” - [Limit Removing] - Artist for titlepic/M-Doom etc needed

As a heads up, I'd really like to get this project wrapped up and finished. We only have 5 unfinished maps to go (E1M2 & E4M6 by @Steve D, E1M7 by @SilverHawaiin, E2M3 by @NecrumWarrior, and E3M7 by @Scotty), although I'd also suggest replacing joe's map (E3M6) and MossHopper's map (E4M7). I am totally down to personally add whatever edits are required to the maps that need tweaking (like those made by Pedro VC), assuming @cannonball is cool with that.

I never forgot about E3M7 and indeed have a bunch of half baked ideas lying around, but i find myself so snowed under with other projects these days so rather than half-ass a map i hope someone else may make effective use of the slot, please consider it to be free now.

I've had an idea for E3M7 I've been batting about for awhile and I think I finally have some free time to get it done, so I'll throw my hat in for that one.

Also given it's a Dobu map I should've expected something on that E4M8 like

a baron right behind the start door

Edited by Magnusblitz

On 2/4/2019 at 2:23 AM, dobu gabu maru said:

As a heads up, I'd really like to get this project wrapped up and finished. We only have 5 unfinished maps to go (E1M2 & E4M6 by @Steve D, E1M7 by @SilverHawaiin, E2M3 by @NecrumWarrior, and E3M7 by @Scotty), although I'd also suggest replacing joe's map (E3M6) and MossHopper's map (E4M7). I am totally down to personally add whatever edits are required to the maps that need tweaking (like those made by Pedro VC), assuming @cannonball is cool with that.

That’s fine, to be honest I might also be starting to think about tweaking some maps once we get reasonable entries in for all of the maps.

E1M7, E2M3 are pretty much at the open the slot again stage. I also agree definitely at e4m7 possibly reaching the same point (e3m6 could be salvageable perhaps???). 

I think I will give it a couple more days before making a definite decision as frankly I  not the most prevelant person on here these days.

oh and I will play E4M8 at some point this week.

1 hour ago, cannonball said:

I think I will give it a couple more days before making a definite decision as frankly I  not the most prevelant person on here these days.

Yeah I'd say if SilverHawaiin/NecrumWarrior to reply in a week or so, we should open it up to fresh blood. I messaged SteveD recently and he seems keen on finishing his two maps, so I think they're safe with him. I also saw @AD_79 mentioned working on E4M7 toward the beginning of the thread (which was like four years ago ahaha), and would like to prod him one more time because his maps are very good and having one would be swell. Regarding E3M6, I think even if the gameplay could be streamlined somewhat, the map is just so ugly and has such dull layout that it absolutely fails to do Mt. Erebus justice in every way possible. Not only has Joe made better maps than that, but I'd prefer to have a more creative visionary tackle that concept from the ground up.

On 2/4/2019 at 11:45 PM, cannonball said:

E1M7, E2M3 are pretty much at the open the slot again stage.

If you'd allow it, I might like to try my hand at Computer Station. I can't promise a completion date, but I'd try to have it ready by May.

14 minutes ago, dobu gabu maru said:

No, there was a submission a few pages back; the OP is a touch outdated.

I think I left the OP for that slot blank until there were some serious improvements. The concept was good but with poor execution. 

I will leave any OP changes until the weekend though I suspect that the maps will be reopened.

25 minutes ago, cannonball said:

I think I left the OP for that slot blank until there were some serious improvements. The concept was good but with poor execution. 

I actually think E3M8 is one of the coolest maps in the set—it just suffers from being directionless and feeling cramped at times, like you said. I'm sure some edits could go a long way to making it a more fun sandbox-style map where the player needs to gather ammunition in order to assassinate the SMM at the top. @Quantum Drangercould polish it up a little, but if not, I'd gladly make some gameplay alterations to make it shine.

Here is a Dobu-ized version of E2M1. Pedro's atmosphere and detailing is spot on, but the map needed a teensy bit more spiciness to it. I'll probably tackle E2M6 next, although I don't know what exactly to do there since it's so congested; hopefully I'll think of something.

A map from me is not happening, I can tell you that now. It's a mix of "I have zero time to actually make this", "I don't know what I would want to do for it now", and "I don't really want to map for Doom 1", heh.

So played through the revised E2M1 and it does feel a lot better in terms of gameplay which considering the visuals were pretty good to start of with then I think it will be fun.

I am starting to think that E4 of this wad might need to come with a warning. To be honest I quite like that :P

Right adding to this.

Slots now reopened

E1M7

E2M3

E3M6

At this moment I think E4M3 would probably be going on this list very soon as I really don't like the layout and it doesn't really follow the map title that well.

From this there are quite a few maps which need tweaking, if Dobu is tackling Pedro's two maps then I guess we need some other maps which need some editing in the future. Hopefully I should be able to help out a bit.

Edited by cannonball

3 hours ago, cannonball said:

At this moment I think E4M3 would probably be going on this list very soon [...]

Agreed on that front; I played it recently and while it wasn't a bad map, it was sloggy and had little to do with the name, I feel. I definitely liked the earlier mentions that the map should be chainsaw related—some fun could be had with that. Also CB, I totally neglected to include the updated E3M5 "Unholy Cathedral" into the last alpha. I've fixed that for whenever we need a new alpha for playtesting.

Also, I'd say E4M7 is definitely a weak link as well. I actually have somewhat of an idea for what that map could be (it involves a cacoswarm), but will leave it open for now while I'm on editing duty.

1 hour ago, DJVCardMaster said:

Well, I'm not sure if I want to really compromise myself with this, but I was experimenting with an idea for E3M6

mterebus.png.1875ac3309c1ab36489e5341dae7b61f.png

Looks really cool and atmospheric, but unfortunately, I was talking to Nine Inch Heels and I've given her the go-ahead to try and make a Mt. Erebus. With that said, E2M3 "Refinery" has no one that's taken it, and it'd be neat if someone wanted to fill that slot :)

Heh forgot about E4M7 for some reason, so that goes in the same position as E4M3.

@Mosshopper @sincity2100 These will need some serious tuneup to get them into an acceptable position. If there isn’t any acknowledgement in the next week or so I will probably reopen the map positions again.

9 hours ago, dobu gabu maru said:

Looks really cool and atmospheric, but unfortunately, I was talking to Nine Inch Heels and I've given her the go-ahead to try and make a Mt. Erebus. With that said, E2M3 "Refinery" has no one that's taken it, and it'd be neat if someone wanted to fill that slot :)

In that case I could try and test with E2M3, still not sure.
And by the way if Nine Inch Hells feels stuck on the start she can feel free to ask for the starting rooms that I did as a base of course!

udino.png.24dcc90db758ce78eabb53968247a5ec.png

Edited by DJVCardMaster

1 hour ago, DJVCardMaster said:

In that case I could try and test with E2M3, still not sure.
And by the way if Nine Inch Hells feels stuck on the start she can feel free to ask for the starting rooms that I did as a base of course!

udino.png.24dcc90db758ce78eabb53968247a5ec.png

Heh. Almost the same nukage container with pipes I've made previously in CONTAINment area. Just check out other maps.

Though I like Mt. Erebus concept above.

6 minutes ago, riderr3 said:

Heh. Almost the same nukage container with pipes I've made previously in CONTAINment area. Just check out other maps.

Though I like Mt. Erebus concept above.

Yes I saw it, to be fair, it's one of the first things that come in mind while thinking about a refinery. "Hey, just add some nukage silos and stuff that goes somewhere"
It actually makes sense in progression, you have the refinery plant and then the containment silos, both go hand in hand.

I made this other silos aswell

12.png.783f0a883be812871b30b0be54ff2294.png

Well, this two maps in this case will be like continuation of each other.

Refinery can focus on multiple pipes, and devices that control this process. IRL refinery inside, just for inspiration:
1.jpg

3 minutes ago, riderr3 said:

Well, this two maps in this case will be like continuation of each other.

Refinery can focus on multiple pipes, and devices that control this process. IRL refinery inside, just for inspiration:
1.jpg

Indeed, I was thinking about some sort of central room with steel pipes of some sort just as in this photo.

3 hours ago, DJVCardMaster said:

Nice of you, but I think I'm good for the moment:

Spoiler

E3M6a.jpg.e26db80735db63fc6d46e24a642c9664.jpgE3M6b.jpg.f4047c12ff138c3972d1eaf2488c9bad.jpgE3M6c.jpg.1e3cedb26c01328c79a96653f307b130.jpgE3M6d.jpg.af530689aed8b2d7e054a1db3419ff85.jpgE3M6e.jpg.a08718bc5a6c6f89b9c24e5ba43274a8.jpgE3M6f.jpg.649dede2566ea9111db382cf89e4651e.jpgE3M6g.jpg.2b610dcb6299d28283df39c673f0eccc.jpgE3M6h.jpg.5892630dbafc1fe1f8dd7ed00be90228.jpg

14 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

<Pictures>

Looking good, but I notice a conspicuous lack of hordes of monsters. Maybe you just haven't put them in yet...

Finished my edits to E2M6. Despite the enemy count remaining mostly the same, hopefully I sped up the gameplay with the inclusion of a bazillion rockets and switching most enemies out to be lost souls (they fit in with the "Damned" theme). Was a fun map to tinker around with.

Over the next week I'll probably play through a couple maps and provide feedback to supplement what cannonball's already written. Hopefully a lot of the old authors are still around to provide fixes. If no one else signs up to work on an E4 map by the end of the month, I'll probably end up taking either E4M3 or E4M7, and will aim for a map more similar to E3M9 than the other two behemoths I have in the set.

Hey cannonball, I'd like to edit Unholy Cathedral (E3M5), seeing as @CorSair has disappeared since late 2016. I really like the style and look of the map, but it's boring as all get-out in its current state.

10 hours ago, dobu gabu maru said:

Hey cannonball, I'd like to edit Unholy Cathedral (E3M5), seeing as @CorSair has disappeared since late 2016. I really like the style and look of the map, but it's boring as all get-out in its current state.

Go for it, I have wondered about stepping in myself but it is probably too much of an ask for me to do at the moment.