Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cannonball

Ultimate Doom “In Name Only” - [Limit Removing] - Artist for titlepic/M-Doom etc needed

Had a quick look and again it is hopefully another map fully chalked off the list of things to do. I have added the file to the op now.

So, we are still looking for someone in regards to some artwork (Titlepic/M-Doom), it would be great to get something that reflects the personality of this wad.

Updates to E2M3, after a little back an forth;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ay6ojrnafb97kda/UDINOE2M3.2.wad?dl=0

A slight visual overhaul in places and attempts to make the layout flow better whilst trying to retain a lot of the key features of the original map. I have decided to favour a more barrel-heavy approach, firstly because it sort of fits the theme of the map and it also helps to tighten the ammo balance given the early sections of E2M4 rely on the player being under-equiped.

The midi is also different now, this was chosen by DJVCardmaster - Trilema by James Paddock

The op has also been updated.

Edited by cannonball

The improvements to E2M3 are masterful. Gone is the noticeably boxy design and doorway camping potential, replaced with a more lively layout and greater chance for monsters to sneak up behind you. I especially like the central room being flooded with nukage as it forces the player to push on into the big computer zone and carve out a safe place for themselves there. The YK fight is also a tremendous addition, actually threatening the player both with cacos and the chance to blow themselves to smithereens if they don’t time their rockets right.

A couple of things: First is that Sector 699 needs to have its brightness value changed so its adjacent midtex doesn’t clip through the floor in some ports. Second is that Sector 179 needs to not be damaging and should have something on it like ammo or a weapon (it looks too conspicuous). Last is that the blue key is really easy to miss. Even knowing what room it was located in from playing the map prior, I missed it for a good 5 minutes and combed the nukage hallways searching for its new location. There needs to be something in that room to draw your eye to its location…

I had an idea and made added some midtex rails around it, along with fixing the other bits I noted. Download here.

Aaaaaaand not only that, but the edits to E4M9 are done! I threw in some very minor changes, like adding in an audible cyber roar at the initial question (as it’ll indicate you need to hit “NO” to max the map), changed the emergency exit to a damaging+exit sector effect (to punish people leaving early), and moved sections of the map around so that it’s a bit easier to tell which fears are in what doors (via the automap). All things considered, TimeofDeath did a bang-up job on this map; I had previously only played it in bits (almost always stopping at the platforming section), but it’s actually really cool how flexible the map is, both with where you can use the BFG and how you can infight. Definitely an excellent, fitting addition to our set.

Excellent, the op has been updated with these.

So now we have three maps that are still in essence incomplete from my point of view. The first is E1M8 that I suggested I could revamp with a couple of ideas to make the premise less generic. The other two are E2M8 and E3M7, both of these are on request by the authors of the map themselves and are currently well in progress (Scotty for E2M8 and myself for E3M7). All other maps are subject to changes as per play testing and a couple of minor technical things, but are otherwise good to go now.

13 minutes ago, sincity2100 said:

If you need an artist for the titlepic , maybe I can help..

That would be most helpful. I am pretty much open to any ideas regarding this. I don’t know whether anyone else has any thoughts regarding the titlepic though.

New version of E3M7 is here;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pq3ldtw8dumz25y/E3M7.6- CB.wad?dl=0

Changes (loads)

Sections after collecting the yellow key have been completely remade and streamlined a little bit;

There is now a fight in the pentagram section (It should be fairly easy compared to other sections), I have tried to stomp out all of the visual glitches in this section.

The previous big fight has gone, the pentragram fight allows access to a switch in the central hub that opens the exit.

The exit building was rebuilt (Much larger in scale), there is a much bigger fight that should deliver the bloodlust of the previous version, but more condensed and removes the rather dubious fight over the void bridge.

Difficulty settings have been added

A few other minor changes here and there, some just to balance things a little more in the players favour.

Alright! That just leaves the E1M8 edit & Scotty's newer E2M8 to go (which I've already played), and then we're ready for beta! Hopefully we can scrounge together some beta testers to give this thing a thorough scrubbing. It's funny because I know these maps fairly well as standalone experience, but have no idea what it feels like to be playing them back to back. Hopefully it's not too jarring; there might be a bit of a Scythe difficulty curve where E1 is too laid back and E3 is too cruel... but maybe folks like that kind of thing? Dunno.

Are you compiling everything together cb or should I be?

I have a compilation where I have updated with the newest versions of each map, so I can hopefully use that to build the eventual release candidate (I will need to work on the umapinfo to get all the correct midis to play in their correct slots, though of course this is only an issue for Episode 4).

The difficulty does hit a steep incline in the second half of Episode 3, though I don’t think it is too bad, the prior episodes are in general tougher than the IWads to start with so we are not going from E level difficulty to X in a flash so to speak. Personally, even though the project has kind of stumbled along to this near end point, I really like the fact that some of the maps will test people, including Doom veterans, I think this project will show how much you can do, even with primarily Doom 1 resources.