Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cannonball

Ultimate Doom “In Name Only” - [Limit Removing] - Artist for titlepic/M-Doom etc needed

17 minutes ago, Walter confetti said:

E3M6 - Non-damaging floor here:

It's no wonder that slipped through the cracks, nobody ever seems to go there...

I'll put it on my list of fixes that need to be done prior to a beta, and make one batch of edits in case anything more needs to be done. @dobu gabu maru is there an ETA for a beta yet, anyway?

Are new midis compulsory now? I designed E2M8 to fit the standard midi. If a new midi really must be used, i'll find one myself and update the map as appropriate, i am picky about music...

10 hours ago, tourniquet said:

Was the music for E1M5 sincity's pick or your's? It's a bit unfortunate that it's shares the same midi with E4M4 and imo it doesn't fit very well. I might try finding something that works well for both.

My pick, I tried to go with something a bit mysterious. Feel free to replace it if you find something you think is more fitting.

5 hours ago, Scotty said:

Are new midis compulsory now? I designed E2M8 to fit the standard midi. If a new midi really must be used, i'll find one myself and update the map as appropriate, i am picky about music...

I think there's no reason to use D1/D2 midis anymore, so please do find one.

5 hours ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

@dobu gabu maru is there an ETA for a beta yet, anyway?

No, because we're still waiting on the last two maps, and who knows when that'll be. I also don't want to release the beta until the E3M8 is fixed as well.

Well this update gave me the chance to do some tweaking to E1M6 and E1M9, nothing major but some visual cleanup and adjusting some parts of the maps to make them run more smoothly. I also added midis for both maps (E1M9 might need revision as I am unsure whether this would work for E4M9 as well).

Obviously a balance is needed for the E4 maps in terms of music as it is dictated by certain maps in the other three episodes. 

Anyway it is great to see the finish line potentially becoming closer to reality.

e1m6+9cb.zip

8 minutes ago, cannonball said:

Obviously a balance is needed for the E4 maps in terms of music as it is dictated by certain maps in the other three episodes. 

That's why I've tried to find stuff appropriate for both maps (E3M4/E4M1, E2M5/E4M8, etc). I'm sure there's a way that we can have E4 with its own music tracks with some Zdoom thing, but since we're aiming for limit-removing I think we're going to have to compromise and find midis that gel with both slots.

30 minutes ago, dobu gabu maru said:

That's why I've tried to find stuff appropriate for both maps (E3M4/E4M1, E2M5/E4M8, etc). I'm sure there's a way that we can have E4 with its own music tracks with some Zdoom thing, but since we're aiming for limit-removing I think we're going to have to compromise and find midis that gel with both slots.

Yeah I think zdoom mapinfo can be used, obviously in traditional ports you are stuck with the earlier map slot tracks. I think this was done in 2002ado at least.

cheers for compiling the latest maps together by the way. 

On 2/25/2020 at 7:55 PM, dobu gabu maru said:

Also I agree with cannonball that E2M9 needs a bit more mystery to it, and I have a few simple ideas in mind for that, but don't know if @Dreadopp wanted to try and "mystery-up" E2M9 or allow me to work my magic. I apologize for my over-controlling nature, but we're fairly close to the playtesting stage, and I'd rather not go into it with any "subpar" maps.

My apologies if my map didn't quite meet the standards/expectations. I honestly haven't seen this map in years, haha. If you want to try and adjust some things, go ahead. But would it be possible to get a copy of the modified wad file afterwards? Just so I have an updated version of it on hand.

I've been excited for this project for a while now and have just finished E1 and the first map of E2. All of this is really good stuff, guys. Gotta say, though. E2M1 by @Pedro VC is one of the better maps I've played in a while. Holy shit was that tense! Really looking forward to the rest of the wad. Just wanted to let you guys know how great it is so far.

Edited by kknot5889

E2M2 was done by riderr3, not Pedro VC (who did the first map). Glad you're enjoying it.

Currently adding some dobu-isms to E2M9, which has been fun. Only once I was in the editor did I realize it kinda had a "inverse world" theme going on throughout the map, which was clever. Been adding touches of it here and there.

qUevnGR.jpg

Planning on a puzzle exit and a really somewhat evil secret puzzle.

I personally think a couple of other maps could do with a little sprucing up in terms of visuals and mapflow;

E1M3 and E1M4 by @stewboy

E2M7 by @General Rainbow Bacon

Nothing drastic, but given how early these maps were entered during the project, they could do with a touch up given the strict vanilla limits were lifted to allow more complex visuals.

Yeah... That was a pretty long time ago. I don't think I have the time to work on them at the moment, so if anyone else wants to either have a go at them, or remove them completely, that's fine by me.

1 hour ago, stewboy said:

Yeah... That was a pretty long time ago. I don't think I have the time to work on them at the moment, so if anyone else wants to either have a go at them, or remove them completely, that's fine by me.

I'm pretty bored and idle at the moment so I'll give it a try with some details

1 hour ago, stewboy said:

I have some time, I could spruce up E1M3 for you.

Sure, @Jaws In Space can take E1M3 and @DJVCardMaster could take E1M4. For E1M3, make sure that "broken door" at the start is openable from the other side (raise the ceiling of the dummy sector it's attached to), and add liteamp goggles into one of the secrets near the end. For E1M4, place a chaingun into the big outdoor area to the left, and change the chaingun currently on the map to a rocket launcher—you'll have to turn a bunch of the shells into rockets to accommodate for that change (also add a second rocket launcher in the yellow key area). Both maps have a decent amount of monsters IMO, so only add monsters if you feel like they're necessary. Both maps could definitely use some more barrels laying around here and there.

Since I've already edited E2M7, I could give it some visual tweaks, though I won't be doing an overhaul like with E3M5. I'll just be trying to make the floor look not so monotonous, and see if I can expedite parts of the layout—its weirdness is kind of its draw, so I want to keep that intact.

1 hour ago, dobu gabu maru said:

Sure, @Jaws In Space can take E1M3 and @DJVCardMaster could take E1M4. For E1M3, make sure that "broken door" at the start is openable from the other side (raise the ceiling of the dummy sector it's attached to), and add liteamp goggles into one of the secrets near the end. For E1M4, place a chaingun into the big outdoor area to the left, and change the chaingun currently on the map to a rocket launcher—you'll have to turn a bunch of the shells into rockets to accommodate for that change (also add a second rocket launcher in the yellow key area). Both maps have a decent amount of monsters IMO, so only add monsters if you feel like they're necessary. Both maps could definitely use some more barrels laying around here and there.

Oh, I was already taking care on some E1M3 edits, but no problem, let's see what I can do.

Glad to see interest in the sprucing up of those maps, I look forward to seeing the finished results. 

So;

E1M3 - Edits being done by Jaws In Space

E1M4 - Edits being done by DJVCardMaster

E2M7 - Continuation of previous edits by Dobu

I am glad this has happened as I didn't want to see these maps replaced and having some thematic and ideological differences within the wad is certainly a good thing.

213213.png.802b9e2c414fefaf97617688054073c5.png

Biggest change so far, I'm feeling quite inspired on this, I was scared its quirky design wouldn't let me do anything, I think I'll have something for later this day.

Please use this midi for e2m8, cheers.

3 hours ago, DJVCardMaster said:

Here I have a first update on E1M4: UDINOE1M4FIX.zip

Couple of nice additions here. I like the arch over the courtyard to the west and really like the curved BROWNPIPs you added to the hallways—it adds a nice shape to what were really indistinct hallways.

Playing through the map again got my ideas flowing and I added a few more things. I added another RL & chaingun, and there's a RL secret that's made redundant by all the rockets on the map, so I changed it to a plasma gun. I "strengthened" the arch in the courtyard (I made it 24 units tall and turned it into a SUPPORT beam), added lights to the YK gates (as they were easy to miss), and made a secret entrance into the base.

Regarding the face of the complex:

5s8rdkZ.jpg

The black trim is really nice, but it's still a relatively demure change. One of the most simple but effective additions you can make to a building (besides trim) is to break it up with pillars, like this:

pVgMTc5.jpg

The other thing I'd caution is color use: you made the carpet inside of the complex solid red, which clashes with the blue. Two strong primary colors together tend to look a little ridiculous, unless the entire map is themed like that (and even then, it might still look like a clown's playpen). Alternating bright colors with muted tones (whites, grays, browns, blacks) will always be more pleasing to the eye, especially in a game as gaudy as Doom. Besides that, I think the map is "done", insofar as I can tell. Both stewboy maps were good to start with IMO, so they don't really need that much added to them.

Here are my edits to the map:

UDINOE1M4FIX_DGM.zip

Edited by dobu gabu maru

^That outdoor areas look really neat with those blue lights embedded into those pillars.

Speaking of suggestions, I suspect a lot of doors in that map could be removed to improve the flow of the map without the need to alter much else in terms of map layout and geometry.

^ I'll cut out a couple of the doors in E1M4

So far I've made a liiiittle tiny, iiiiity bity change to E2M7:

Spoiler

lhsZjSd.jpg

Spoiler

cblf1sS.jpg

Spoiler

The last half of E2 is bloated with both winding hallways and chunky enemies, so I tried to cut down on the meandering in the last third of E2M7. I swapped out an aimless baron nest with a big nukage rocket melee that'll hopefully get the blood pumping. The map will have more monsters because of this, but literally 250 of them will be dead within 1.5 minutes. Just gotta wrap up E2M9 now.

1 hour ago, dobu gabu maru said:

So far I've made a liiiittle tiny, iiiiity bity change to E2M7:

Snarfle! :D :D :D

Looks great, though! :)

I've attached the two updates I've made for E2M7 and E2M9 (both maps use the FALL & ALLBLACK textures). I'd like my name added as co-author to both maps as I've made changes comparable to that of E3M5 (new areas, restructured progression, difficulty tuning, visual improvements, etc)

Heels has contacted me and I've given her the go-ahead to design a new E3M8, and she's already made a bit of progress on that front (her idea is clever). Magnusblitz handed over his incomplete scraps of E3M7, and rather than shop around for someone to finish that map/make a new version, I'd like to take it upon myself to work on that map myself. As vain as it sounds, I'm confident I can produce something up to par with the quality of the project, in a... relatively timely manner too.

I have the E4 music working MAPINFO working, so if anyone has any E4 tracks they'd like to be changed, lemme know (don't worry Steve, I've already included your stuff). I'm also updating skies for E3 & E4: the former is getting some cloudiness in its sky, and the latter needs to be vertically repeating for E4M8's sake. E2's sky doesn't repeat which is a problem for E2M9, but I think that visual hiccup adds to the off-color flavor of that map, so I'm not inclined to change it. Plus, mountains are nice :)

What I'm looking for next is someone to create an M_DOOM graphic for us, as well as a new TITLEPIC. After that, we're just waiting on E1M7 and an update to E4M7 and we'll be ready for public beta testing (what is with all the M7s being the last to wrap up???)

DGM_E2maps.zip

Edited by dobu gabu maru

Just wanted to mention that I've decided not to pursue finishing the @mouldy map at this time. I think the map has fun potential and I mined it for ideas for my own E1M2, but as it stands all areas of this map are separated from each other, and no room is accessible without doing some awkward architecture or resorting to lifts and teleports. In other words, there is no flow to the map. This can be changed, of course, but IMO it would require expanding the map with a lot of architecture, including a Reactor Room. Given that I've finished all my assigned maps for UDINO -- apart from yet more revisions to E1M2 and E4M6 -- I'd rather move on to other pressing assignments. I'm still looking at the possibility of finishing this map for another project, but since I have no valid claim to it, if someone wants to develop it, let me know.

23 hours ago, Steve D said:

if someone wants to develop it, let me know.

Send it over my way! I think your E1M2 map is perfect so you don't need to work on a potential substitute; I'm just curious what the map you have looks like.

Anyway, attached is Jaws' edits to E1M3. Repeating again that if any artist wants to make us an M_DOOM and TITLEPIC, that'd be swell :)

Jaws_E1M3a.zip