Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cannonball

Ultimate Doom “In Name Only” - [Limit Removing] - Artist for titlepic/M-Doom etc needed

I got a couple of days off coming up and I'll use those to tidy up my stuff.

EDIT: Well, maybe not. Working in a general store with all this going on ends up adding hours sooo.... might be a little longer.

Edited by Peanut

E4M4 with some minor edit's, nothing really noteworthy. Also added a new midi. Title:  'preng' Author: zan zan zawa veia

@sincity2100 let me know in case your not happy with the midi i've picked.

Wassup UDINOsaurs!

I don't like the current E1M1 in this project, so I decided to make my own interpretation of a hangar.

ProcessingControl's map is too long, and there's no Doomcute representing a hangar, and was just a rehash of his MAP01 in D2INO (down to the layout and the colour scheme).

I consider my map to be finished, there's even difficulty settings, co-op and deathmatch compatability.

MIDI is "Nanonucleonic Cyborg Summoning" by Darkhaven (taken from BTSX E1)

Link : https://doomshack.org/uploads/hangarjoe.wad

hYVb9pE.png

Hey joe!

The map was quite enjoyable—I like all the explosive barrels everywhere, and found the pinkies to be pretty dangerous. It was fun climbing the missile and I really like your SHAWN midtex gate.

Unfortunately, I really don't see anything wrong with ProcessingControl's current E1M1. True, it has a similar color scheme to the D2INO opener, but beyond that the map fills all the criteria we need: it's fun, well-made, and has a hangar at the end. There's not a lot of Doomcute going on, but our project doesn't necessitate Doomcute in every map. We're currently at capacity in regards to map, but if anything opens up I can let you know.

I know there's nothing wrong with his map per se, it's just that the map's name potential is wasted on a map that is as abstract in the hangar appearance as the original ID software map (the hangar itself is just a big, gray square box), when much more can be done with the concept. So I took it upon myself to make a more memorable map as an opener for this megawad and maybe take the former's place.

I like both of the hangar maps, but actually ProcessingControl's is more correct as far as a 'hangar' is concerned.  @joe-ilya: Your map has a missile, which is really cool! But, hangars are not used to store missiles.  A hangar is basically a garage for aircraft.  Nice map though.

Why do you think it's a missile? It doesn't make sense to have missiles on mars IMO.

It's intended to be a space rocket, just how Lunatic has them in MAP03 :

maxresdefault.jpg

They would be in an airship hangar for storage and maintenance, but for a launch they'd be at a launch site.

Okay, but how about you make the hangar bigger so that it looks like all manner of aircraft/airships/rockets are stored there.  Most people don't ever see hangars to begin with so making a specialized one for a rocket in a generically named "hangar" map where people are expecting to see aircraft would confuse people.  Much like it did me.   

Processing's map doesn't have any vehicles anywhere. But sure, I can make the rocket area bigger and put a couple more rockets to make it feel more whole.

If you're going to keep the rockets, put them in some kind of separate room closed off from the main room, in a real storage facility they probably wouldn't just be in the middle of everything.  Not that anyone would be able to steal them.  Maybe put some aircraft markings around so that it looks like there were aircraft parked there, but they're just out at the moment.  How about some theoretical vehicles like an F-666 and a Hellbird drone or something.    

The hangar is demolished though; the roof is missing, and there's ash and fire at the seams. That's why it seems like it's just in the open, I'll put more ash and fire to make it more clear that it's demolished.

I agree about the parking markings and the F-666, I'll add those too, the map will look so good, that you won't be able to resist not replacing the current E1M1 with my map.

I think joe's map isn't half bad, but I'm starting to get a little bit confused about the discussion that is happening here at the moment. Having more maps in general is something I think we can all appreciate, but the way this comes across it seems a bit like this is an attempt at somehow "elbowing" an existing map out of the megaWAD while trying to get a new one in as a replacement. If it was my map that was getting the elbow, it would certainly leave a bad taste in my mouth, and I'd like to think it's the same for ProcessingControl, or just about anybody else who put some of their spare time towards making something specifically for this project. I'm sure the idea was to contribute something to the megaWAD, which is fine, but the "tone" of the current situation rubs me the wrong way personally.

Now, I'm not the project lead, so it's not my place to determine whether or not joe's map is getting into the megaWAD, but seeing how the slot joe was building a map for has already been taken, and the map in question also has been accepted as part of the megaWAD already, it's perhaps the better course of action to have joe's map released as a stand-alone, instead of putting 2 maps at odds with one another like it's currently happening.

If you wanna discuss the differences between rockets and missiles, and what is or isn't a "hangar", by all means, discuss that stuff back and forth... Just be aware that none of that changes anything about how there's already a map that is meant to be this megaWAD's e1m1, and so far this entire project has been very much a "first come - first serve" environment.

1 hour ago, joe-ilya said:

The hangar is demolished though; the roof is missing, and there's ash and fire at the seams. That's why it seems like it's just in the open, I'll put more ash and fire to make it more clear that it's demolished.

I agree about the parking markings and the F-666, I'll add those too, the map will look so good, that you won't be able to resist not replacing the current E1M1 with my map.

Are you making us an offer we can't refuse?

I thought it would be fun to have some kind of a competition for the E1M1 slot, a map's a map, not some kind of a morale schmi-thingy, if I could take people making better maps than me in community projects and replacing mine; so can anyone.

Yes, it's rude in your opinion, but what does Processing think? It seems you guys already think my map is better (or at least just as good) anyway, maybe he will be totally cool with it too, you'll never know.

1 minute ago, joe-ilya said:

Yes, it's rude in your opinion, but what does Processing think? It seems you guys already think my map is better (or at least just as good) anyway, maybe he will be totally cool with it too, you'll never know.

It's not rude in our opinion, it's rude period. Nobody who's entered this project has ever agreed to their maps being subjected to any manner of competition, and forcing the idea of a competition onto a project that you have no say over is plain wrong, because it's not your place to do so.

And besides, it's only a fair competition if everyone involved knows about it. Appearing from out of nowhere with a map, and taking a shot at somebody else's spot in the project isn't competition, it's an "ambush".

Thank you for bringing up that nobody, not even "processing", knew about this, because damn it would have been a whole different situation if you had the courtesy to ask if what you're doing is okay with the respective mapper as well as the project lead, and as far as I can see, none of that happened. So, yes, of course it's rude.

Making a map is not rude, regardless of context. If you feel morale is at risk, then you're reading too deep.

3 minutes ago, Eris Falling said:

joe did this exact same thing nearly 7 years ago with the previous INO project.

These maps sucked though; a completely different story with different context.

It's at this point that I have to wonder how it's possible to miss the elephant in the room... Nobody complains about you making a map. The problem is making a map in an attempt to push somebody else's work out of a community project. How is that so hard to understand?

"Making a map" is not the same as "Pushing somebody else out of a community project"

4 minutes ago, joe-ilya said:

Making a map is not rude, regardless of context. If you feel morale is at risk, then you're reading too deep.

On 5/16/2020 at 4:29 AM, joe-ilya said:

I don't like the current E1M1 in this project, so I decided to make my own interpretation of a hangar.

If you say so...

37 minutes ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

"Making a map" is not the same as "Pushing somebody else out of a community project"

I can't force to push someone else's map away, it can be rejected with a simple "no", which I didn't get from cannonball until now. I don't have hostages or blackmail material, stop exaggerating.

36 minutes ago, seed said:

If you say so...

Taking a concept from a map, and executing it differently because I don't think it's memorable enough for its slot; is not rude, I was just trying to make a cooler opening map to make a better first impression for the megawad.

Since cannonball said no, I am going to repurpose it for the Doomer Boards Projects.

Enjoy your likes.

Guest Unregistered account
On 5/16/2020 at 2:29 AM, joe-ilya said:

Wassup UDINOsaurs!

ProcessingControl's map is too long, and there's no Doomcute representing a hangar, and was just a rehash of his MAP01 in D2INO (down to the layout and the colour scheme).

I love everything about this