Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cannonball

Ultimate Doom “In Name Only” - [Limit Removing] - Artist for titlepic/M-Doom etc needed

FDAs for everyone..

cannonball: http://www.mediafire.com/download/af4j5c4xf6zvapo/e1m9cb-mouldy.lmp

Great map, love the sandboxy style and how it feels like a proper place. Good fun.

steveD: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ddy1tgoh6xfm31w/udino4xb-mouldy.lmp

Has a very E4 look to it. Gave me quite the slap in the face with all the bloody hitscan pummelling you have to endure, and health and ammo are hard to come by. I didn't manage to finish, dunno how far I got but the trap that killed me looked pretty nasty.

scifista42: http://www.mediafire.com/download/j965dcsd5u2cda7/deimolab-mouldy.lmp

Thats quite the gimmick alright, took me a few goes to figure out how to survive it. Its pretty much one big fight this map, which feels a bit short for a general map, could maybe benefit from having a bit more build up to the big fight, feels like it should be a finale. I can see it annoying some people, that wait for the doors to open does drag on a bit for me. Just feels like there could be more to it than a massive lump of beef to dance around while you wait. The laboratory idea could be tied in with it a bit more perhaps.

Fit this map into any slot you want.
Yes it's the same one in my thread, but everyone want to see my "Hangar from Hell" instead.

tourniquet said:

@Steve: Totally overlooked the link in your post, just thought you were posting screenshots.

No problem, tourniquet, and thanks for the FDA! I thought you were gonna make it on the first try. You came really close to getting over the hump.

I see now what you and cannoball mean about the Imps at the top of the lift. I was using GZDoom as my internal test port. I've since switched to PRBoom. A Block Monster line will take care of that.

My big disappointment in this map is the ending. I even doubled the number of Barons at the yellow key trap just before uploading. but when I playtested, it was almost as easy as the original 3 Barons, and I couldn't think of anything that wouldn't just make the clean-up take longer, so this is a front-loaded map. That's a common problem for me.

And it's definitely a typical E4 map in style. I'm addicted to that theme. Marble, metal and orange sky forever! :)

mouldy said:

steveD: http://www.mediafire.com/download/ddy1tgoh6xfm31w/udino4xb-mouldy.lmp

Has a very E4 look to it. Gave me quite the slap in the face with all the bloody hitscan pummelling you have to endure, and health and ammo are hard to come by. I didn't manage to finish, dunno how far I got but the trap that killed me looked pretty nasty.

Thanks for the FDA! You were almost there, too. The yellow key trap is the last one, although once you get out of the cage, you'll find a whole new population of critters waiting for you. I'm happy that so far, no one has managed to survive on their first try, unless cannonball made it.

I designed this map specifically to troll myself, with its cramped spaces and high monster density. I hope to induce panic or at least nervousness in the player. The design is inspired by Hell Beneath and its structure is what I call a "modified sandbox," basically a sandbox with walls. This allows roamers to follow you everywhere, but also prevents you from simply shooting them all in the open. This means that if I can catch your attention with immediate threats in front of you, roamers can sneak up from behind and attack. I also like how American McGee put the nukage only 64 units down, which allows the monsters below to get at the player.

Well, this goes back to being M2 of my E4 project. The next map I'm working on for UDINO is our E1M2 collab. I hope to have it done before Christmas.

SteveD said:

I designed this map specifically to troll myself

ha. I found the most trollish monsters were the shotgun guys lurking down in the nukage that I could hardly see while they filled me with bullets.

I have two working maps for Pandemonium, and I'm not sure I like either one. I'll let you folks decide if either is worth including.

They're both first drafts, so I'll tweak them as required if I can.

Impie said:

I have two working maps for Pandemonium

I like the fleshy one a lot more than the other (the other feels like typical E3 hell stuff), but I have to address that I'm also working on a concept for Pandemonium as well. I only have the starting room and general concept pinned down, but is it alright if I take that slot? If you're dead-set on doing a map I can bow out.

Also I played Steve's map. The start with those sergeants down in the nukage? Really Steve? Those guys gave me the most hassle and I died running through that hub room to them the most. The rest of the map is fine--I'm of mixed opinions on withholding a weapon from the player so long (it makes the map more frantic but is a pain in the ass when there's so many hitscanners about)--and the yellow key trap is a lot of fun since you get to move around the rest of the level freely. Two other things: the RL trap needs a medikit or something before it because it's impossible at like <50% health, and you do know there are other flats than FLOOR4_8, right? I think there needs to be a bit more floor diversity because the map feels a tad lifeless without each area having a different kind of flavor. Other than that, I think it's a solid addition to the set.

And I died about 6 times or so--you can thank your stupid sergeants in the nukage for that.

mouldy said:

ha. I found the most trollish monsters were the shotgun guys lurking down in the nukage that I could hardly see while they filled me with bullets.

I plead guilty to being a total jagoff here. :D

dobu gabu maru said:

Also I played Steve's map. The start with those sergeants down in the nukage? Really Steve? Those guys gave me the most hassle and I died running through that hub room to them the most.

And I died about 6 times or so--you can thank your stupid sergeants in the nukage for that.

Thanks for the play, Dobu, and you're right, there are more floor textures than 4_8. :D I'll attend to that issue on the next revision.

I usually don't die that much to the Sergeants, but they chop me down and then I get killed by Imps. There's way too many fireballs flying until the Imps are thinned out for me to deal with, and because I try to avoid the Sergeants I keep running into the fire.

You're right, surviving the RL trap at <50% is incredibly difficult. On the latest test I went down there at 43% and died like a dog again and again until I gave up. It's one of those maps where you can say it requires foreknowledge, because once you learn where the secret Soulsphere is, you just run for the Chaingun, kill some Imps and soften-up the Cacos, take a few hits and grab the SS. If you're at 140% or so after that, you're almost guaranteed to win, because you can get the RL and save the Zerk until you need it, take out the elevated Sergeants and then start destroying the opposition sequentially, especially those nukage Sergeants.

It's really an arms race issue. I make every map nowadays with the goal of getting a DotW pelt. We all know how hard it is to get one of those. You should see the shit he survived in the Realm of Intensified Chaos maps. My jaw dropped. And let's face it, he FDAed Heat Miser. The man's a bloody ninja. :D

Now that I have my DotW pelts, maybe I can ease off a bit. Then again, I still need a Ribbiks pelt. ;)

dobu gabu maru said:

I like the fleshy one a lot more than the other (the other feels like typical E3 hell stuff), but I have to address that I'm also working on a concept for Pandemonium as well. I only have the starting room and general concept pinned down, but is it alright if I take that slot? If you're dead-set on doing a map I can bow out.

Seems they gave you the slot regardless, so go for it. It'd be fun to see more than one interpretation of the same map.

Impie said:

Seems they gave you the slot regardless, so go for it. It'd be fun to see more than one interpretation of the same map.

Whoops my bad, you have been added to the slot on the OP.
I will have a look at your concept ideas in a bit. Then we shall go from there.

Do you guys think my original plan of making "central processing" pretty much a rocket launcher-only map, with barely any other ammo (probably just from zombie drops), can work? I intended the challenge to be about not blowing yourself up, but I didn't intend to put the player in situations where that would be all that hard without foreknowledge. It'd be pretty mild.

I made a start of it waaaaaay back before scrapping it, and the gameplay seemed rather fun to me. Stacks of weaker guy snipers to be blown up with a single rocket, pinkies to rush the player, single monsters to be deemed not worth a whole rocket and subsequently be left alone until a few more can group up, etc.

Also, I wanna make the "processing" not about waste and sludge but rather the computer kind. Just wanna make sure it's all fine before committing to something potentially unfit.

cannonball said:

I will have a look at your concept ideas in a bit. Then we shall go from there.

Well, I struggled to think of something interesting, and decided to go with the definition of "pandemonium" I found that boiled down to, "the home of all the demons." The one labeled #2 is a straightforward Doom 1 demonic residence, and #3 is a big hell mansion.

I ended up starting five maps, and only finished these two. Challenge was tougher than I expected. Wish I'da signed up sooner so I coulda taken something easier, like Slough of Despair.

Found some time to play through a few of these and leave feedback.

@Dreadopp - Really cool layout that feels like old school Doom. Getting through it is a bit tricky given the "fortress of mystery" theme, but it works pretty well, and it's a lot more interesting than the original map.

@dobu gabu maru - The opening room of this map is awesome. The layout is an absolute nightmare (in a good way) and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't sputtering terror-fueled obscenities the entire time.

@sincity2100 - Quick, brutal map. Loads of fun, and uses the "lab" motif pretty nicely. Some well-thought-out traps, too.

E4M9 "Fear" is about 70% finished. It consists of a hub that leads to 8 separate areas that represent common fears in people. I have 3 fear areas left to make.

Public Speaking

Falling

I've been much too preoccupied with my job and some other activities to find inspiration for this, maybe I'll come up with some proof of concept or something over the winter holidays.

TimeOfDeath said:

"Fear"

8 separate areas that represent common fears in people.

Public Speaking

Hahaha. Hopefully the player gets locked/frozen in place on top of the spokesman's pedestal and nibbled by Zombieman shots and Imp fireballs while (almost) unable to move.

Swooping in to say things are wrapping up with my Ty tribute map, so E3M3 is next on the list for me. Shouldn't take tooooo long, but I'm just in the drafting phase so far so fingers crossed.

Just checking in to say I have not done anything yet with E1M2 or E4M6. I have not done anything in Doom really for over a month owing to just crazy time crunches in my IRL schedule. I'm always "just about to get some free time" when I get blindsided by something else. At least I'm close to done on some projects, so I should be back at Doom work within the next 4 weeks. More updates to come.

I'm willing to give up my slot. Turns out I don't like mapping for Doom 1 that much! That and I've got too much else to focus on currently.

SteveD said:

Just checking in to say I have not done anything yet with E1M2 or E4M6. I have not done anything in Doom really for over a month owing to just crazy time crunches in my IRL schedule. I'm always "just about to get some free time" when I get blindsided by something else. At least I'm close to done on some projects, so I should be back at Doom work within the next 4 weeks. More updates to come.

If you eventually give up on E1M2, I'm interested in taking this slot.

AD_79 said:

I'm willing to give up my slot. Turns out I don't like mapping for Doom 1 that much! That and I've got too much else to focus on currently.

Can I take it?

Antroid said:

Do you guys think my original plan of making "central processing" pretty much a rocket launcher-only map, with barely any other ammo (probably just from zombie drops), can work? I intended the challenge to be about not blowing yourself up, but I didn't intend to put the player in situations where that would be all that hard without foreknowledge. It'd be pretty mild.

I made a start of it waaaaaay back before scrapping it, and the gameplay seemed rather fun to me. Stacks of weaker guy snipers to be blown up with a single rocket, pinkies to rush the player, single monsters to be deemed not worth a whole rocket and subsequently be left alone until a few more can group up, etc.

Also, I wanna make the "processing" not about waste and sludge but rather the computer kind. Just wanna make sure it's all fine before committing to something potentially unfit.

I know this is an old post, but I would very much love to see a map like this.

Piper Maru said:

I know this is an old post, but I would very much love to see a map like this.

's not THAT old. Anyway, that's what I was attempting before I had to scrap the map again and that's what I'll be attempting once more when I can get around to it, so with any luck this'll happen. Although it's not gonna be a big map since it's episode one.

SteveD said:

You are not the only one, This is pretty much my first visit to this site for over a week. The fun of the Christmas holidays plus an increasing workload to do.
The OP has been updated with Walter's second version of E3M4 and Noiser has been given the E4M7 slot.