Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cannonball

Ultimate Doom “In Name Only” - [Limit Removing] - Artist for titlepic/M-Doom etc needed

7 hours ago, scifista42 said:

^ I took E1M7 in the post just above yours, but I'm OK with you taking it instead if that's the one map slot you want the most.

Yeah, I'd really like to make E1M7.

Should have posted earlier, but Quantum Dranger you can have the slot. 

Scifista42, I think the main issue at the moment is the the entire map feels like a E1M8 style shootout, I don't mind the arcade style on offer but I do feel that the rest of the map in terms of monster placement is rather filler in tastes. I think the rest of the map needs to be fleshed out a little more in my opinion.

For open maps, E1M8 is now open.

Some progress on E1M6, layout is near enough done, some of secrets have been added, just need to finish this off and then add the incidental and more staged combat scenarios. 

UDINOE1M6a.png.0d1af817449cfcf0177deac11bafe804.png               UDINOE1M6b.png.706b0b928ad6bf58aff591156d98c7e8.png

UDINOE1M6c.png.2d7dd2f4cd10e82e1b3daf2b09a2f68a.png

Noone has claimed E1M8 yet? Maybe I should muck around and make a smallish map on the side on a break from Hellbrary 2, which is already pretty large.

17 minutes ago, Glaice said:

Noone has claimed E1M8 yet? Maybe I should muck around and make a smallish map on the side on a break from Hellbrary 2, which is already pretty large.

Go for it, consider the slot yours.

On 17. dubna 2017 at 3:17 PM, cannonball said:

Scifista42, I think the main issue at the moment is the the entire map feels like a E1M8 style shootout, I don't mind the arcade style on offer but I do feel that the rest of the map in terms of monster placement is rather filler in tastes. I think the rest of the map needs to be fleshed out a little more in my opinion.

The map was supposed to be primarily about the gimmick, so it seems OK to me that the rest feels like filler. :/

Some feedback on to spruce up in terms of detail for this, I am trying to keep it somewhat basic but enough detail so it doesn't look plain.

The latter two images has less detail because I am going to place monsters there.

Not too shabby, I'd say drop the brightness down a few pegs (and raise the areas such as the wall insets lit by lighting fixtures) and it'll look good.

The lighting is 128 to 144 in most areas, it just looks brighter because "Standard" sector lighting in GZDoom. It'll look better in software or "Doom/Dark" sector lighting modes.

Still Working on E3M8, Ive figured to make the cieling smaller so i can possibly do more in terms of hieghts and doing something better. I havn't been able to really work on my project since ive been hectic busy

Slough of Despair - v3

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sbhbb59h45vx17z/sloughofdespair_v3.wad?dl=1

Lives in the E3M2 slot, and requires udino_liquids.wad from the OP. Includes difficulty settings and coop starts, but no coop monsters---can you not flag things as "not in multiplayer" in Doom format?! I had a plan for the pinky cages that was foiled by that. :P

Old versions for demo playback:

doom09.png

Edited by Benjogami

23 hours ago, scifista42 said:

The map was supposed to be primarily about the gimmick, so it seems OK to me that the rest feels like filler. :/

I think most of the gripe from me is after the encounter, the map doesn't need to be made much bigger to be honest. The imp crowd in the exit room doesn't really need to exist to be honest. 

Mosshopper - That's fine the slot is yours.

Glaice - Looks interesting, I look forward to playing it.

Benjogami - Just given this a quick play, it looks great, I will delve deeper into the gameplay tomorrow hopefully.

There will be Barons but not just two, I intend to have that battle to be harder.

52 minutes ago, Benjogami said:

Slough of Despair - v1

This thing is absurdly well detailed. The little clapboard shacks are great. That plus the attention paid to lighting really gives the map a great feel, aesthetically. The only lapse I noticed was the candelabras on either side of the big exit door only lit up their sector. I could not for the life of me figure out the berserk or the backpack secrets. The plasma seems almost necessary for max kills. The soulsphere... doesn't seem worth it? 

I liked the backtracking progression, but wonder if there is a better way to point the player to the red key. The old rule of 'if there are monsters there, I should go there' worked for me, but might not for everyone. 

I only tried UV, but I thought the difficulty was pretty fair. Not too challenging, but not a cakewalk either. Good amount of stimpacks around to keep the player honest. Can't take too much damage, but there's enough health to limp around with careful play.

I might have missed it, but the lava pit around the rocket launcher island was inescapable. I didn't fall in it in my FDA, but noticed it when I played again trying to find the secrets. 

None of these thoughts are very well articulated or connected, but I hope are of some use. FDA included.

benjogami-udino-fda.zip

1 hour ago, paymentplan said:

[feedback n stuff]

Thanks for the demo and feedback! While I'm still feeling industrious I went ahead and updated my original post with a v2. Good call on the RL side being inescapable; I added some stairs there. The middle pits will remain inescapable, sorry in advance everyone ;) Also did some minor visual upgrades to the pinky cages as suggested, because those were indeed still just quick sketches. That whole building facade is still kinda meh to me, so I might revisit it again. You also gave me an idea for a new secret, so I added that. :)

RE: secrets:

Spoiler

Berserk and backpack are accessed by platforming through the window of the shack by using that rock (and then riding the lift to get to the backpack area). I made the window a bit wider so it's easier to do now. The soul sphere is indeed not worth it, and is a total troll. On less than UV, you can escape it with a little bit of extra health, but on UV, it's there only to make UV Maxers feel despair :P

I've further work on E1M8 so far. It looks darker because I used "Doom" sector light level for a moodier look. Also, what's the word on music used?

Edited by Glaice

Screenshot_Doom_20170421_224054.png.14d7134fee7b0c974aed6c0a99092720.png

Some shots of the of the map so far. Don't know progression wise where to go with this, but I've laid out a foundation that could lead to a number of possibilities. As far as map title as a gimmick goes though, I think I've got some idea of what I'm doing. You start leaving a portal, there's some zombies staring directly into the portal, probably wondering what it is they're looking at. As soon as you leave the building, a small industrial-style building with no known purpose other than to hold the portal, you enter what appears to be a sort of gravel-pit area, but you're soon inundated by the hellish onslaught.

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20170421_224038.png.ac8822f9d5cf73c871b6a5a7921b264b.pngScreenshot_Doom_20170421_224114.png.7f4f107f7a9c14ae457dbadf53ea7e4a.pngScreenshot_Doom_20170421_223338.png.5e42a1b64b9ce25d58fa770e13155053.pngScreenshot_Doom_20170421_224217.png.e0cf34d395b779766b7e644ca2117dcc.pngScreenshot_Doom_20170421_224249.png.f0513d3e341e21701d14f35a3b46e84f.png

@Glaice

https://www.dropbox.com/s/76i0nit3545wehs/UDINO_M8_FDA_Necrum.lmp?dl=0

Here's an FDA for you! On the whole, I think it's a pretty neat map! I assume that the portal to Deimos at the end is your version of the anomaly? I mean it could be the Baron fight but there was nothing that really screamed it being your version of Anomaly. That whole area probably counts though I suppose, since it was made with all those marble textures and looked so different from the rest of the map. The Neo-Romero cracks were a nice touch at the beginning. I think your tech base is really well constructed, I must admit. This came out as the shortest key hunt I think I've ever seen. The Blue key seemed the easiest to grab, and I feel there could be more to it since the others each come with some sort of major resistance, either before or after. There was just a few scrubs protecting the Blue Key. The pentagram looked weird, did you intentionally leave its sides untextured? The Baron fight is well executed, the tight space and rampant Pinkies running around made for an interesting fight. I actually killed myself and had to start the whole thing over because of them. I came back with a smarter approach though and came out victorious my second time around.

Demo is PrBoom+ Complevel 2.

Glad you enjoyed my map, I tend to put effort into tech type levels when it comes to details like consoles, lights, etc.

I playtested through this with and without secrets and it is doable, but obviously easier with because of the plasma gun.

Did you load udino_liquids.wad with the map because I used the BFALL# texture for the pentagram lower texture.

I did make this map DM compatible but in the last two areas, there are switches (look around the flooring on ground area, they're hidden) to make teleports accessible to get back to the demon flooring before the Baron fight so one is not stuck there, same goes with the remote doors and pillars blocking way.

Edited by Glaice

1 hour ago, Glaice said:

Did you load udino_liquids.wad with the map because I used the BFALL# texture for the pentagram lower texture.

I actually completely forgot about the liquids thing, so that explains it.

Two new maps to comment on, sweet.

E1M8 - Visually it is a little crude but nothing too jarring, it kind of evokes a similar feeling to the ultimate doom. Generally the layout is okay.

The baron fight is pretty fun to deal with, it isn't too difficult, I will hold tight on this for now mostly as when we get all the maps to a semi-completed state then I will try to judge a reasonable difficulty curve, then I may say that the combat here needs to be beefed up or not. 

One issue for me was the red key ambush, the teleport set up is very inefficient and slow, this should be addressed to put more pressure on the player as at the moment it seems to be a slow and gentle trickle, the grabbing of the red key could also be linked to the lowering of the bars by the red key door. Another one is that I don't get too much of the anomaly part from this map which is where I agree with necrumwarrior.

Overall a reasonable map but one I feel needs a little more work.

E3M2 - Visually this is pretty great. The map gives off a good eerie vibe at the beginning before launching some more deadly encounters towards the end. The jump to the blue key at the moment is rather irritating, making this a little easier would help, also like others I think the red key needs to be sign posted a little better, though being a fairly short map then I guess this isn't a big issue, one suggestion would be to put the key on a pillar which shows the player where it is and make it only reachable from the current red key location, hence players should be able to figure the route out more quickly.

Otherwise a fine effort, also slough being another name for a swamp I think this ticks the boxes as well as the feeling of despair.

On 20.4.2017 at 9:27 PM, Benjogami said:

Slough of Despair - v2

Very cool map Benjo, great visuals and it does a good job at keeping you on your toes all the time. 

- just as CB i think the RK progression could be a tad more obvious

- the Blueberry secret seems rather pointless tbh due to the high chance of not surviving the nukage run or ending up with less health then before, perhaps make it a unmarked secret

- the lift trigger inside the Beserk secret needs to be set to SR or one might get stuck

I'll see what I can do on making the red key teleport ambush quicker.

17 hours ago, Glaice said:

Here's the first release candidate of E1M8

It's technically a very decent map but besides the points CB mentioned allready i'm missing a real reference to the maps name. The initial parts don't require any changes but it would be cool to have a real anomaly or a rift in the void and not the current more iwad-esque scenario as final battle.

Thanks @cannonball and @tourniquet ! Good ideas. I updated my original post with v3.

Changes:

- Red key is much more visible

- Soul sphere of despair is no longer required for max secrets/kills

- Fixed berserk escape action (also no longer triggerable from outside, at least in accurate ports :P)

- Misc aesthetic tweaks, alignments

- Fixed some monster pathing

On 20. dubna 2017 at 9:55 PM, cannonball said:

I think most of the gripe from me is after the encounter, the map doesn't need to be made much bigger to be honest. The imp crowd in the exit room doesn't really need to exist to be honest.

In the context of a map where you deal with dozens of Barons, 5 Imps in the exit room don't seem that bad to me, in fact it almost seems fitting. True, they probably don't pose much of a threat even to a speedrunner who rushes to the exit while letting the previous monsters alive. Unless you really mind them, in which case please confirm, I'd keep them in. As for other non-Baron monsters, they're there to infight the surviving Barons. The whole part of the map after the Baron encounter was intended to be like an epilogue to a story rather than gameplay oriented. In fact, the Baron encounter was meant to be the only gameplay oriented part of the map.