Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cannonball

Ultimate Doom In Name Only - Limit removing project

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, scifista42 said:

In the context of a map where you deal with dozens of Barons, 5 Imps in the exit room don't seem that bad to me, in fact it almost seems fitting. True, they probably don't pose much of a threat even to a speedrunner who rushes to the exit while letting the previous monsters alive. Unless you really mind them, in which case please confirm, I'd keep them in. As for other non-Baron monsters, they're there to infight the surviving Barons. The whole part of the map after the Baron encounter was intended to be like an epilogue to a story rather than gameplay oriented. In fact, the Baron encounter was meant to be the only gameplay oriented part of the map.

Okay that's fine, I would suggest that removing the imps in the exit room would be a good idea as to me they serve no purpose but to be a door of meat. The rest is fine and I want to make clear that the main gimmick is in my mind absolutely fine and well executed. :)

 

Right back to general management, E4M8 is the only map I have had no response for, everything else seems to be ticking along fine for now. I did say I would do a bit more of a review for all the maps submitted so far which I will do slowly but surely over the coming weeks.

Share this post


Link to post

Here's my map as it is now. There's no difficulty options, and it was tested on Ultraviolence, so the way it is now is the Ultraviolence difficulty. Built in about a week and a half. There's only one issue that I know of: the gargoyle switch to raise the bridge doesn't change to the activated version. Tested in GZDoom, ZDoom, Eternity and Doom Retro over WINE. Built with Eureka version 1.11. Feedback and bug reports would be appreciated.

HellFollowed.wad.zip

Share this post


Link to post

Still waiting if any more feedback is necessary, otherwise it's up to Cannonball.

Share this post


Link to post
On 2017-5-1 at 1:50 AM, Quantum Dranger said:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/eo5b7paaq7ga42i/E1M7.wad

 

I'm gonna be gone until Wednesday (camping and stuff) so here is what I have so far of E1M7. I have yet to fix the bugs with the raising steps and random teleports and I still need to add a Deimos themed yellow key area.

Okay

Well one major major issue here is that there are no tags whatsoever with teleports and other actions marked by zero tags which will break horribly. 

Secondly the slot you have chosen is in E1 and I would rather stick to a more techbase style, secondly this map needs as part of the project to fit the name of the map with some justification. 

This map has a lot of problems with it but at this point trying to get to a playable point would be a start.

I get the feeling that this might be your first foray into this type of mapping, I am and i am sure others would be happy to give you some tips on this type of thing and help push this map along. 

 

On 2017-4-23 at 4:40 PM, Mosshopper said:

Here's my map as it is now. There's no difficulty options, and it was tested on Ultraviolence, so the way it is now is the Ultraviolence difficulty. Built in about a week and a half. There's only one issue that I know of: the gargoyle switch to raise the bridge doesn't change to the activated version. Tested in GZDoom, ZDoom, Eternity and Doom Retro over WINE. Built with Eureka version 1.11. Feedback and bug reports would be appreciated.

HellFollowed.wad.zip

Well this does work so I can finish this map. That said I must admit I didn't have much fun with this. The shotgun is a primary weapon for a good part of this map (Was this intentional). I am also not sure whether there is sufficient supplies to take care of most of the monsters, well there is the chainsaw but that isn't much use against the bigger monsters. Visually this is okay I guess, though it could do with a more consistent level of detail, some tiny bits here and there and large sparse areas. 

In the end considering the slots filled in this episode, this lacks a certain visual flair, and also difficulty in some regards. 

Well there are a few points I would consider, oddly enough everything seemed to work fine using pr-boom (complevel 3), including that switch.

 

Lastly Glaice, I still feel the end baron fight reveal needs to feel a bit more epic in a sense, I would consider teleporting the player into the centre of it instead of raising the ceiling to reveal the last area and really getting creative visually with that last room.

Share this post


Link to post

I got that "drop down" changed to a teleport now so you're forced to act immediately. The end area is now on par, if not as hard as the red key ambush.

Edited by Glaice

Share this post


Link to post

Can someone rate my map so far and give me ideas on what I could possible do to make it better? I'm lacking confidence in my E3M8 map and I don't want to ruin one of the most important maps of The Ultimate Doom's legacy. As much as I know that the original e3m8 was pretty anti-climactic, I'm trying my best to put up ideas that could go well with the map without messing around too much and making the map actually good and a Solid ending to the episode. Please give me the best feedback you can, I don't want to be at fault for ruining E3M8. Go hardcore with your criticism and even make me sound like a Heretic while you do so, just as long as its constructive. 

e3m8alpha.zip

Share this post


Link to post

There's a giant HOM on the wall right behind the start spot if you play in a port with software rendering. Looks like you've only tested your map in GZDoom. As this project is limit-removing, you should test it in PrBoom-plus with parameter -complevel 3.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, UAC-Janitor said:

Can someone rate my map so far and give me ideas on what I could possible do to make it better?

Okay first off: your map is so incomplete that it's hard to comment on anything. All I know is that it seems to be big and filled with specters. Speaking of, I really don't think anyone wants to chainsaw 50 specters as the start of E3's finale. I mean, maybe if the level was a lot more interesting they'd be okay with that, but you only give health bonuses to heal the player, and the layout is super confusing, there's damaging water, and barely any cells to fight with... see the problem?

 

IMO, the heart of the E3 map is going to be the Mastermind fight, if you're aiming to include one. Work on getting that properly running first, then build the map around it.

Share this post


Link to post

Here is my (hopefully final) update to Pandemonium, all difficulties fully implemented. Not too different from the final version; most significant change is that I "cool" the big lava cave afterwards so that the player can explore it without taking damage. Tried to add in tele spots to ferry enemies to the top of the map when you come back after grabbing the BK, but a couple dudes may still get lost somewhere. Making the map UVmax-friendly is really hard to fix—I've played this like 6 times over the past few days and really don't want to fiddle with it any more, so I'm putting the kibosh on any other tweaking until beta time.

 

Midi is "Treacle Empire" by Jimmy, BTW.

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/2/2017 at 1:01 PM, cannonball said:

I get the feeling that this might be your first foray into this type of mapping, I am and i am sure others would be happy to give you some tips on this type of thing and help push this map along. 

1

I'm pretty inexperienced in this type of mapping and I'm welcome to criticism and feedback. Thanks for letting me know that the computer station part of the map was not prominent enough, I'm going to fix that.

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, scifista42 said:

There's a giant HOM on the wall right behind the start spot if you play in a port with software rendering. Looks like you've only tested your map in GZDoom. As this project is limit-removing, you should test it in PrBoom-plus with parameter -complevel 3.

 

20 hours ago, dobu gabu maru said:

Okay first off: your map is so incomplete that it's hard to comment on anything. All I know is that it seems to be big and filled with specters. Speaking of, I really don't think anyone wants to chainsaw 50 specters as the start of E3's finale. I mean, maybe if the level was a lot more interesting they'd be okay with that, but you only give health bonuses to heal the player, and the layout is super confusing, there's damaging water, and barely any cells to fight with... see the problem?

 

IMO, the heart of the E3 map is going to be the Mastermind fight, if you're aiming to include one. Work on getting that properly running first, then build the map around it.

Thanks you two, I'll reconstruct my map

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, dobu gabu maru said:

Here is my (hopefully final) update to Pandemonium, all difficulties fully implemented. Not too different from the final version; most significant change is that I "cool" the big lava cave afterwards so that the player can explore it without taking damage. Tried to add in tele spots to ferry enemies to the top of the map when you come back after grabbing the BK, but a couple dudes may still get lost somewhere. Making the map UVmax-friendly is really hard to fix—I've played this like 6 times over the past few days and really don't want to fiddle with it any more, so I'm putting the kibosh on any other tweaking until beta time.

 

Midi is "Treacle Empire" by Jimmy, BTW.

Just played this map for the first time. Really enjoyed it, some real genius moments in here. At first I was like where the hell do i go and gimme some health man, but then after a few deaths and some exploration it all becomes a bit more clear.

 

Favourite bits:

the fireball bullet hell, love that

the crazy floor trap, looks amazing

the disappearing floor cyber fight, really like how you lead up to that too

 

Bit that gave me the most trouble:

the baron/pinky plasma battle, enjoyed it though.

 

Lots of drama and chaos, excellent stuff.

Share this post


Link to post

Right, I have seen a lot of entries which have come quite shortly after people have claimed slots. All I can say is that there is no rush, take your time and think of a concept which is robust enough to accommodate the map you have chosen. Same goes to building the map,take your time and make sure the basics are there at the very least. I am happy to help where I can in regards to some of this, though my time is pretty limited at times.

 

Anyway....

 

e1m6cb.zip

 

First draft of E1M6, playable and maxable though no difficulty or co-op stuff at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post

The latest version of E4M2: http://www.mediafire.com/file/3ckx5bh5oqw4362/UDINO42cq.wad

 

Changes since last version:

 

1. Added some monsters in BFG secret as Magnus suggested.

2. Raised secret exit teleport pad, and added switch to lower it, as cannonball suggested.

3. Got rid of zombie in normal exit, because if someone finds the secret exit first, it's boring to go all the way back there for 1 zombie.

4. Added a little more ammo to deal with the extra monsters.

5. Added a couple more details.

 

With luck, this will be the final version. I still need to play a lot of stuff, too. So far behind. 

Share this post


Link to post

Changed up to RC3 now: http://www.mediafire.com/file/viz6xvisu7ga2sr/UDINO_E1M8_RC3.zip

 

Changes:

  • Final area larger and harder than in RC2.
  • Teleport directly into the arena rather than walls rise (which is for DM access as well)

 

I'm not so sure how much more I can do to the Baron area now considering all the other work I put around it. This might be the final version based on what else I can edit in the boss battle arena.

Share this post


Link to post

So much for final versions. ;D Here's the latest "final version" of E4M2; http://www.mediafire.com/file/ss2e6wvdihwov8w/UDINO42ct.wad

 

I finally played it and was annoyed at the YK fight because the bigger monster closets are a bit dark and I wasn't able to see all the stuff in there. I decided to add some edge lighting with Firewall so all the items are at least silhouetted against the brightness.

 

I also changed the static Tekwal4 inserts into scrolling Firemag as an experiment, with brightness increased from 176 to 192. I'm still not entirely stoked about this detail, but there's plenty of time to work on it.

 

Finally, I added a double-high Marbfac2 detail above the descending wall in the BFG secret area. It telegraphs the trap and adds a little misalignment, but IMO no biggie.

 

In other news, I finally  started upgrading my PC, which includes a Razer Black Widow -- so awesome! -- and a 27-inch ASUS monitor. The monitor is bright enough that I can finally play Doom in daylight hours. My Doom productivity has always been hamstrung by lighting issues, so I should be more active now thanks to flexible scheduling.

Share this post


Link to post
On 20/04/2017 at 8:27 PM, Benjogami said:

Just had a go at this, nice map. I like all the abandoned shacks, and the way it all plays out around the same central area. Things got pretty tricky when the map started filling up with meat.

 

What is a slough anyway? There was plenty of despair.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Jaws In Space said:

Swampy ground.

Hmm. Well i didnt really get a swampy vibe from it, truth be told. Can't say I did from the original either. Shame old doom doesn't have the brown liquid flat..

Share this post


Link to post

I don't know where Benjo is from but Slough (horrible town in the UK) sure is hell, so you could argue that the setting works out in that way. Solid map by the way, had a go at it earlier.

Share this post


Link to post

I was going with this definition mostly, from Wikipedia:

 

"In North America, "slough" may refer to a side-channel from or feeding a river, or an inlet or natural channel only sporadically filled with water.[1] An example of this is Finn Slough on the Fraser River, whose lower reaches have dozens of notable sloughs."

 

And actually the Finn Slough is one that I've hung around, and gave me a lot of inspiration.

 

1.jpg

 

The "sometimes waterway" aspect I tried to realize by having the waterway split the sides until it "dries up" and allows you to cross, after you go into the cave.

Share this post


Link to post

With the mountains and all that moss everywhere, I knew Finn Slough had to be in the Pacific Northwest. Brings back memories of Seattle, though in this case, Finn Slough is in British Columbia. That structure nearest the camera has some serious settling issues. ;)

Share this post


Link to post

Would anyone be interested in taking my place or switching spots for maps? I've grown to dislike Dis and have had trouble making sure I map correctly for it so it doesn't come out a sloppy mess.

Share this post


Link to post
On 2017-5-17 at 11:16 PM, Quantum Dranger said:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/4h74jvxh66v6sk1/E1M7B.wad

 

http://www.mediafire.com/file/eo5b7paaq7ga42i/E1M7.wad

 

The top link is in E1 style. The second link is in varied styles.

I am going to be honest, the maps in both versions still have serious zdoom testing problems where you have sectors being opened on zero tags which break the map horribly, again I ended up stuck in the same spot viewing the red skull key.

The texturing in both I hate to say is very 1994 which isn't really the quality I want to come across, I am not looking for sunder type visuals, whilst I stated the project as limit removing, a clean looking map which fits in vanilla limits will be fine. The episode 1 version still kind of feels more E2 in feeling and the level of darkness in places and again I just can't see the computer station in either version.

I would go into detail about the specific issues regarding where these maps are broken, but fundamentally I feel that the best course of action would be to start again as it will be easier for you to build a new map from scratch and slowly experiment the basics of mapping and with help hopefully deliver something decent. :)

On 2017-5-10 at 8:29 AM, UAC-Janitor said:

Would anyone be interested in taking my place or switching spots for maps? I've grown to dislike Dis and have had trouble making sure I map correctly for it so it doesn't come out a sloppy mess.

I left your post a while just in case someone bit on the offer, I guess the question is whether you want to give your slot up and hope that another opens up in the near future?

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/21/2017 at 1:39 AM, cannonball said:

I am going to be honest, the maps in both versions still have serious zdoom testing problems where you have sectors being opened on zero tags which break the map horribly, again I ended up stuck in the same spot viewing the red skull key.

The texturing in both I hate to say is very 1994 which isn't really the quality I want to come across, I am not looking for sunder type visuals, whilst I stated the project as limit removing, a clean looking map which fits in vanilla limits will be fine. The episode 1 version still kind of feels more E2 in feeling and the level of darkness in places and again I just can't see the computer station in either version.

I would go into detail about the specific issues regarding where these maps are broken, but fundamentally I feel that the best course of action would be to start again as it will be easier for you to build a new map from scratch and slowly experiment the basics of mapping and with help hopefully deliver something decent. :)

I left your post a while just in case someone bit on the offer, I guess the question is whether you want to give your slot up and hope that another opens up in the near future?

Maybe I could switch with UAC Janitor? I'm not enjoying the E1M7 slot.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×