Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Looper

Doom 2 in 21:55

Month ago my 23:25 time was beaten. It's time for a payback! :-)
Big thanks to Zero-Master and everyone who helped me.

I'm not sure if I'm going to improve the time a bit more because it's missing couple tiny tricks.

Youtube video.

30uv2155.zip

Though it's an impressive movie i still dreaming about something that involves tool-assisting. Yes, i'm a broken record.

There's also a built run by xepop that's a minute ahead of the 14:02 one after map20... alas, he never finished it.

Finally sat down and watched the run. It looks so effortless it's kind of ridiculous. Various notes:

* Is the silent BFG on Map17 kind of a tradition? I've noticed it in a lot of speedruns, even though I know it doesn't actually do anything.

* I LOLed at the blue key jump attempt on Map19, trying to be a baller huh.

* No blue key glide skip on Map22, but it seems like it doesn't even really matter timewise.

* Stupid mancubus screwing up the barrel wallrun jump on Map23 :( That makes me sad, it's probably my favorite speedrunning trick in the whole game.

* Is the Map24 wallrun at the end just too dangerous to ever attempt in a movie run?

* Is the strategy to one-cycle the Icon of Sin a recent invention of yours? Seems to work well...

So how many people have succeeded in creating a full uv-speed run of doom 2? I kinda suck at most speed running tricks, glides for example blow my mind. But i think i can go a long way without taking much damage. I'm considering trying a few times anyway to see if I can do it at all. I'd be surprised with myself if I can do it in under an hour :P

4 years ago, I always did the silent BFG @ map17 lift, I thought it was funny to copy it from Radek Pecka, this time I forgot to do it, but it seems it worked partial by accident.

Map19 (not map22! edited) blue key jump costs like 2-3 seconds and 2 BFG shots. I had plenty of cells, so I took the risk.

Map24 wallrun is quite dangerous yes, it saves only 3 seconds at best if you don't setup it all. Lost souls could block your wallrun, the setup is very sensitive (xdre confirmed :D), so I don't think it is worth the risk.

Yes, map30 strategy is my invention. I checked in xdre, how many frames before or after activating the elevator should I press fire button. I think it was exactly at the same time or 1-3 frames later, so I got the two first rockets in most of the time. The 3rd rocket is a quite recent spice, just stand on the edge of lift and activate the lift as soon as possible, and never stop shooting rockets :-P

Akse, I think HR2 TAS (built) would be cool, but I can't find the time for it D:

Looper said:

Yes, map30 strategy is my invention.

Pretty clever.

Looper said:

Akse, I think HR2 TAS (built) would be cool, but I can't find the time for it D:

Hope and patience are my old friends.

Hm, I noticed Zero-Master uploaded his run with 60FPS @ youtube. That actually looks really good. I wonder how you/he did it? I used glboom+ with -timedemo/viddump but that gives you only 35FPS :-P

Looper said:

Hm, I noticed Zero-Master uploaded his run with 60FPS @ youtube. That actually looks really good. I wonder how you/he did it? I used glboom+ with -timedemo/viddump but that gives you only 35FPS :-P

Fraps. I use it all the time for my youtube videos. But if you gonna record via fraps you also need VirualDub for video compression. 3 min movie at 60 fps will cost you at least 2 GB of free space, so be aware.

GrumpyCat said:

glboom-plus:
Options > General > Video > Uncapped Framerate

That was simple...

I do have the uncapped framerate from the options, the output was 35 fps.

Is it possible to have any FPS with the viddump parameter? Or only 35fps.

I record my youtube videos with OBS (which I will assume you used to stream) by changing the settings to file output, and you can set 60FPS from there. Also, file size is really low compared to fraps.

Looper said:

I do have the uncapped framerate from the options, the output was 35 fps.

I don't know specifically because the last time i uploaded to youtube you still couldn't exceed 30fps, but take a look at the cap_videocommand in the prboom config. There's a "--fps" option there and setting to 60 might be what you are looking for.

Looper said:

Not in prboom-plus, no. There's no normal way to make it output at 60fps or what have you. I've made a hack of the source to have a version that lets me output at higher frame rates.

I zipped up a replacement EXE that includes a new option, it's pretty raw though:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cfl9m3t18so68dj/glboom-plus-hacked-exe.zip?dl=0

If you run it (in a new directory, preferably) you will find a new option in the cfg file:

# -smoothdemo setting
cap_smoothdemo_framemult      1
This sets the FPS multiplier to be used with the new -smoothdemo command line option, which works like -playdemo except it utilizes this line in the config file.

I never really coded this specifically to be used for arbitrary framerates (it's mostly for experimenting with adding motion blur in postprocessing) so as it is currently, making a 60 FPS video requires you to set cap_smoothdemo_framemult to 12 and then take the 420fps (!) output video and decimate it to use only every 7th frame. This would be a pretty big pain in the ass to render, but it's an option at least.

edit: oh yeah and the sound doesn't output correctly using this so you would have to edit in an audio track from a normally recorded version. So it's probably way more effort than it's worth altogether.

e: oh hey 60 fps!! so smooth!!

That's interesting, sadly syncing audio with video isn't easy (as far as I know as it usually desyncs a bit over time).
Maybe good old fraps with lower resolution does it. Sadly with fraps tiny lagspikes could ruin the video. And of course 60fps @ 1440p isn't possible to get lag-free with my computer.

Hi there.

I know I rarely post here, but I wanted to ask, what's the "optimal" time for a Doom II speedrun? I mean, in a run like this, with practically no mistakes, what's the minimum time that could be achieved? Please note that I'm not talking about TAS, I mean something within "human capabilities".

Oh, and congrats Looper, that was awesome.

40oz said:

So how many people have succeeded in creating a full uv-speed run of doom 2? I kinda suck at most speed running tricks, glides for example blow my mind. But i think i can go a long way without taking much damage. I'm considering trying a few times anyway to see if I can do it at all. I'd be surprised with myself if I can do it in under an hour :P

I know of no-one besides Demonlord (Daniel Lindgren), Adam H, Henning, Radek, stx-Vile and Looper (check here or here). Surely >50 players all around - there are quite a few more who did NM! run after all. These oldest ones are interesting as they contain less insane tricks, and still they were damn good compared to casual runs.

Zed said:

I know I rarely post here, but I wanted to ask, what's the "optimal" time for a Doom II speedrun? I mean, in a run like this, with practically no mistakes, what's the minimum time that could be achieved? Please note that I'm not talking about TAS, I mean something within "human capabilities".

If you add up all the single-level records on COMPET-N, you get around 18:30. And that's with pistol starts on each level. So presumably that, or slightly better, would be the bleeding edge of human possibility.

Realistically, though, I don't believe we'll ever see a sub-21 time.

Incidentally, Map09 and Map17 in Looper's latest record are actually FASTER than the single-level COMPET-N records, which I find pretty amazing.