Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

Motion blur?

I was just trying out the new Strife release on steam I discovered that one of the new options is motion blur. I thought it looked pretty sweet honestly. Do any source ports for Doom support motion blur?

scifista42 said:

3DGE and also the BFG Edition do, as far as I've read.

AFAIK, BFG Edition's motion blur only works in the Doom 3 games. It doesn't apply to Doom Classic.

The motion blur in Strife is limited - it only happens when you turn around quickly, not when you are running quickly or when a projectile flies by quickly or anything.

Quasar said:

AFAIK, BFG Edition's motion blur only works in the Doom 3 games. It doesn't apply to Doom Classic.

Oh, sorry. It seemed odd to me, I've played the BFG Edition and didn't notice that much special effects. I took the information from this thread, but I've apparently misunderstood it, I thought the particular posters were talking about the classic Doom part.

hardcore_gamer said:

I was just trying out the new Strife release on steam I discovered that one of the new options is motion blur. I thought it looked pretty sweet honestly. Do any source ports for Doom support motion blur?

Doomsday engine Does ...

So prboom+ had motion blur since 2008 but doesn't have infinitely tall actors compat switch in 2014. Interesting.

*kills self*

That's not built in motion blur. That demo was recorded with a hacked PrBoom-plus that output a very high FPS video and then post processed.

Right, I activated motion blur in GLboom config file, but didn't notice any difference at all. I also randomly changed some of these other settings, with no success:

gl_motionblur 1
gl_motionblur_minspeed "64.1"
gl_motionblur_att_a "55.0"
gl_motionblur_att_b "1.8"
gl_motionblur_att_c "0.9"

Motion blur is always great as an optional flag, but I fucking hate when games have it forced on at all times. Modern releases are almost always guilty of this bullshit. Just like uncapped FPS and unwarranted changes in FOV, this shit makes me lose my lunch, and thus makes many games unplayable for me..

Motion blur as in blurring the whole screen is kinda lame - similar to a slow display panel. But a blur specific to certain objects is pretty cool.

I once added a minimalistic blur option to choco.
When damage was done for a certain amount of time the current frame was blended with the previous. Neat effect that kinda reminded me of the one in Blood's alpha which also has another stunning* one where the screen rotates a few degrees when taking damage from poison.

*relative to its era

Doomkid said:

Motion blur is always great as an optional flag, but I fucking hate when games have it forced on at all times. Modern releases are almost always guilty of this bullshit. Just like uncapped FPS and unwarranted changes in FOV, this shit makes me lose my lunch, and thus makes many games unplayable for me..

Couldn't agree with you more. I'm not sure what it is with modern games but the lack of customizability is just infuriating. 99% of the time there will be no option for motion blur removal, fps cap, customizable controls or anything of that nature. I swear, Doom 95 has more options than some newer games these days. Lame.

VGA said:

So prboom+ had motion blur since 2008 but doesn't have infinitely tall actors compat switch in 2014.

Prboom-plus doesn't need it, it's a traditional port.

Darch said:

Right, I activated motion blur in GLboom config file, but didn't notice any difference at all.

It is activated only when the player strafe-50s.

Vermil said:

Doomsday doesn't have motion blur.

According to a developer,it should have a Motion blur soon in the next version

DMGUYDZ64 said:

According to a developer,it should have a Motion blur soon in the next version

Thats news to me. Personally I detest motion blur in video games but I guess if enough people request it then one of us devs will add it.

That's what the developer said when i asked :

skyjake said:

Motion blur is definitely one of those subtle effects that can improve realism in meaningful ways, however it is not trivial to implement (unlike the current crop of camera lens effects Doomsday has). We might get around to it at some point, however currently it is more important to fully refresh Doomsday's renderer to use shaders and static vertex data and get rid of the old OpenGL 1.x code

Still not sure if it'll really happen ..

In case you are not aware, I am also a Doomsday Engine developer. In the post you quote, skyjake does not state that motion blur will be coming in the "next version".

To clarify, skyjake was seemingly responding to the idea of implementing a rendering effect for localized motion blur rather than a simple uniform screenspace blur (each is implemented quite differently). Hence the comments about static vertex data (etc) for efficiently drawing individual objects many times.

Kappes Buur said:

Any monitor with a Response Time of 8 ms (GTG) or more is perfect for motion blur :)

this. and i thought motion blur is inherent to lcds. i can play only with crt style strobing enabled on my benq xl2411z, since blurred motion literally gives me nausea. and now people come and enable what didn't exist on crts in the first place :p

Motion blur is retarded and effects like this are part of the cancer that is killing modern games.

Why would you ever want it let alone in a game like Doom?

Different strokes, etc.

That said, I recently watched a video of someone playing Doom 3 Whatever Edition with its motion blurring option enabled, and it looked utterly dire.

The only time i'd want to try motion blurring, is when my computer is fast enough for over 150-200 fps at all times (most vanilla maps work fast enough), so that the extra frames can be processed into the normal 60hz or 70hz output (like those Youtube examples), instead of throwing away all the frames. I'm not sure if that's what modern games are doing, but if they are games designed for 24 or 30fps, it's lame of them to not give an option for 60fps with no blurring.

3DGE 1.4A almost has a form of motion blurring through interpolation alone...it's definitely "dizzier" than other ports atm.