Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

How do I edit a .exe to make it use certain WADS?

Sometimes I like to play Zdoom WADS but I don't like having to manually drag and drop them into the exe every time I start up the game. Is there anyway to edit the zdoom.exe somehow so that the game automatically uses certain wads or pk3.files in the same folder?

You have an even better option: Set up the .wad file suffix to be opened in program "ZDoom.exe", then it will load up ZDoom upon double clicking any wad. I thought mostly everyone used that instead of drag and dropping. You won't be limited to the ZDoom's folder, too, it will work from anywhere on your computer.

You can even set up pathnames for multiple sourceports to run wads, and then launch various wads by right-clicking them and selecting "Open in Program:" and choosing an sourceport you wanted to use at that moment.

scifista42 said:

You have an even better option: Set up the .wad file suffix to be opened in program "ZDoom.exe", then it will load up ZDoom upon double clicking any wad. I thought mostly everyone used that instead of drag and dropping. You won't be limited to the ZDoom's folder, too, it will work from anywhere on your computer.

Doesn't this work only with one file though? What if I have many different wads I want to use at once?

No, once you set it up, it will always work for all files with .wad extension. Also see the edit of my post above. ;)

EDIT: WAIT, I get it now, you want to run multiple wads at the same time! Yay...

hardcore_gamer said:

Sometimes I like to play Zdoom WADS but I don't like having to manually drag and drop them into the exe every time I start up the game. Is there anyway to edit the zdoom.exe somehow so that the game automatically uses certain wads or pk3.files in the same folder?

http://zdoom.org/wiki/How_to_autoload_files

Well, editing an entire .exe just to run a selected group of wads would be overkill. On the other hand, sometimes you don't want to autoload the same wads/mods always when playing any wad, as Gez's suggestion implies. You can, however, create a batch file (=text file with .bat extension) in your ZDoom's folder and put a text like this into the file:

zdoom -iwad doom2.wad -file btsx_e2a.wad btsx_e2b.wad
And run BTSX E2 by launching the batch file. Similarly you can create multiple batch files for multiple wads and combinations of wads you might want to play. This time though, you're limited to the ZDoom's folder unless you specify absolute paths to everything.

EDIT: May it be that I've misunderstood the problem (autoloading) again? I'm not so sure now.

I have an entire folder dedicated to WAD shortcuts: simply Windows shortcuts (which I prefer using to batch files for a number of reasons) pointing to GZDoom (or whatever .exe is required) along with the command line to load the WAD. When I download a new WAD, I set up a new shortcut at the same time. (I also made a set of custom icons to assign to my shortcuts that indicate Doom/Doom2/Heretic/Hexen/etc., but that's next-level nerdery.)

So, for example, if I want to play BTSXE1, I have a Windows shortcut set up whose target is:

C:\Games\Doom\Engines\GZDoom\gzdoom.exe -iwad C:\Games\Doom\IWADs\DOOM2.WAD -file C:\Games\Doom\WADs\Doom2\BackToSaturnXEp1.zip
If I want to set up a new Doom2 WAD shortcut, I just copy and paste an existing Doom2 WAD shortcut, rename it, and tweak the target file name.