Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jmickle66666666

junkcity :: victorian themed texture pack (v02)

Very nice. I love completely new textures that radically alter the appearance of levels. It'd be awesome if a community project eventually ends up forming from this.

Your texture skills have come a long way in a short time. Though some things are still a bit rough around the edges, they make up for it with character, and I can only imagine you'll continue to get better and better at the technical side of it. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with next -- the ornate victorian theme is looking super sweet!

Darch said:

Amazing! No project planned for these babies?

Surely somebody could use these textures to make a map based on Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol and release it in time for Christmas Day?..

Not me though, cos bah humbug and all that.

after several attempts at making this work OK with the doom palette, I'm going to use what I learned and start a new version from scratch, designed to work with the doom palette correctly. I can see a bunch of reasons this current one doesn't work and it's very difficult (beyond my skill currently) to fix.

Obviously this version is gonna stick around, and if anyone uses it, feel free to suggest any new things. I'll definite do upkeep on this one if people are using it :)

Stay tuned for more!

Is it just the purples not working or are some of the greens not working too?

Tbh I see nothing wrong with a Gzdoom only texture pack, because this allows you to use some pretty color combinations that normally you wouldn't see too much in doom.

Keep up the good work though, I could see myself using these textures for a haunted house Halloween project this coming year.

joe-ilya said:

Looks more like london.

Yeah, your Victorian graphics look too much like London. London has nothing to do with Victorian England.

Seriously though, these graphics are great--appropriately dour. I hope somebody does something clever with them.

beautiful. fits "haunted mansion" style maps well.

or steampunk doom. doomguy wearing a monocle and wielding a steam-powered rocket launcher... perhaps someone likes the theme ;)

Steampunk? I dunno, that's kinda too obvious for a Victorian theme type, and was never too great to start with. <_<

I'm more of a cyberpunk man myself anyway >_>

Pirx said:

doomguy wearing a monocle and wielding a steam-powered rocket launcher...

Alright Jmickle, you've heard the voices of the people: Make this happen.

Wow, just another one chiming in to say damn good job, I'd love to see a full set using these!

Unholypimpin said:

Is it just the purples not working or are some of the greens not working too?

Most of the textures are quite dark, and yeah they use a lot of purple hues. Another issue is how desaturated the colors are, and since they were made like that, increasing the brightness/saturation damages the image quality significantly. The other big issue is the use of slight shading on things like the Tudor style wood/painted walls (see the clock building): there is really gentle shading on there that when palettized, even after changing brightness/hue/saturation/contrast, always splits into these huge islands of aliased colour, which looks horrific.

Thank you everyone for the kind words :)

I missed this thread first time around. The textures remind me of @Jonathan's 10 sectors entry!

I also missed this the first time as well, these look great and perhaps see a map set using this textures instead of the same old gothictx or cc-tex for once.