Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sheridan

Barony

Hello fellow doomers.

I've lurked this forum for ages, but yesterday I finally decided to make an account to participate in some technical discussion on this board and now that I'm here, I thought I'd introduce myself properly with a thread about my current project, which is a game called Barony.

This is its website:
http://www.baronygame.com/

In a nutshell: Barony is a first-person multiplayer action RPG featuring numerous roguelike elements, like the ever popular random dungeons, dubious items, high difficulty, perma-death, and so on. You might think of it as a cross between Nethack, Daggerfall, System Shock 2, Spelunky, and Ultima (especially Ultima Underworld).

The game is cross platform like all good indie titles are and currently supports Windows and Linux straight out of the box. No Mac builds yet because nobody on the team has one, unfortunately (though we're confident one could be setup easily).

The game looks like Minecraft. We know it looks like Minecraft. Emulating Minecraft's style wasn't really our intention; it just expedited the process of creating all the hundreds of little creatures and doodads we needed for the game to... go. Hopefully when this game is finished I'll get the opportunity to make something with a bit more pizzazz.

Anyway, as it stands the game is in alpha right now and you can download it FOR FREE from the website listed above because we were in the middle of a public testing phase from April until November, when we decided to stop and concentrate on finishing the game for (hopefully) a Steam release. So all we ask in return for our generous giveaway here is that you post any and all feedback you have about the game here. Do you like it? Do you not like it? Do you think it's the best game ever or do you think it's mildly interesting at best? Do you think it's downright awful?

Let us know.

Thanks. :)

Guest Unregistered account

This should go in Everything Else... I think...?

It is a creative work, so it makes sense that it would be posted here, but I would definitely recommend posting stuff like this in Everything Else if you want more exposure. Many DW users never check this section (I didn't even know it was here until a few months ago..)

sheridan said:

Barony is a first-person multiplayer action RPG featuring numerous roguelike elements, like the ever popular random dungeons, dubious items, high difficulty, perma-death, and so on. You might think of it as a cross between Nethack, Daggerfall, System Shock 2, Spelunky, and Ultima (especially Ultima Underworld).

From the description, it sounds awesome. As you pointed out, the resemblance to Minecraft is striking to say the least, and I hope the game isn't overshadowed by this.. However I am predicting it will. I love Minecraft, but it's a damn shame that it's pretty much got a monopoly on the 3D-pixelated look..

I don't mean to discourage you - As I said, the description sounds very appealing.

This game is so good. I can't believe I haven't heard of it before. Any communities or people out there that like to do co-op on the regular?

The thing about Minecraft is that edges of object tended to be darker than the rest, sort of sprite outlines in 3D. It tended to add a nice contrast to the assets. This kind of doesn't have that, but whatever.

Also, how much are you going to step outside the norm with themes? Are there going to be crazy dungeon themes like ice, greenhouse, or underwater? Also, that video on the website didn't really show off the combat too well. I'm hoping it's relatively elegant.