Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mdmenzel

MAPINFO and omitting information

Let's say I create a MAPINFO for a source port that defines the maps for a PWAD. If I omit information for a specific map, will the defaults from the IWAD be used?

No.

Eternity's EMAPINFO will fill in the blanks with the older values, but MAPINFO and ZMAPINFO won't. So if you omit the sky, the sky will be a missing texture; if you omit the soundtrack there won't be any music playing, if you omit the next level the exit will not work, and so on.

In ZDoom, can I simulate this behavior with includes, or are ZDoom's default MAPINFO lumps added to the lump directory after patches are applied?

mdmenzel said:

In ZDoom, can I simulate this behavior with includes, or are ZDoom's default MAPINFO lumps added to the lump directory after patches are applied?

To prevent a misunderstanding: As soon as you declare a map in your MAPINFO using a command: "map <maplump> <nice name>" or a similar one, then, if <maplump> already existed in the IWAD, ALL previous information about this particular <maplump> will be forgotten. BUT, for <maplumps> that you didn't newly declare, the old information will stay. For example if you only declare MAP01 but omit MAP02, and make MAP01's next map to be MAP02, then MAP02 (and consequent maps) will work properly as in the IWAD.