Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shaikoten

32in24-14: How the Hamburglar Stole Christmas!

Cold Coffee - another great level. Revenants and an AV in a false exit room again? I should have expected it, but I didn't. Kept dying until I figured out to back out of the room, jump off the bridge, and hide around the corner so I could pick off the AVs at my leisure. Two minor points.

1) All the monsters behind the Yellow and Blue Key bars can be killed through the bars before you open them. They're no threat. Maybe they should pop in when you open the bars. Or invisible doors (one unit off the ground) just behind the bars which open when you open the bars, so you can't shoot them until then.

2) False exit switch - again, maybe it should be an S1 RedKeySomething so it looks like the real exit switch on the automap.

I'm really liking your maps. They're intense, yet fun; a good size, so you don't get lost; and flow really nicely. And there's plenty of room to run away from things.

Alright, I see stew decided to keep the teleporter-frenetic revenant pair. And cacowad decided to keep his troll exit, haha. Psychology indeed. Alrighty then! jmickle's and Marcaek's maps should be ready too. Dusk's map has a small HOM, but it's finished otherwise. TMD finally fixed his issue with textures, so those are ready too. Jimmy's pair of maps as well. On to nubhat...

Yes, your doors work now and everything, haha. nubhat's maps 2 and 3 are almost ready. There's a nasty slime trail on the second one and the third one could use the same Xses to mark cube targets of the IoS. I really don't have any more willpower to check his map1 again, haha.

I spoke with Shaik a bit, and long story short, I'll be doing the Shaik-approved Official YEDS Compilation (TM) this time 'round, with assistance from our resident experts "dew" and "dew". We've drafted a probably-final official maplist, and here's a first compilation of the latest-most maps in the new order:

http://static.angryscience.net/doom/32in24-14b1.zip

No hard feelings to anyone whose maps ended up in 33+ -- there's just a lot of good stuff to work with so a few had to get pushed back (and not necessarily the "worst-of" either; relative map difficulty and overall progression had a bit to do with it). On a related note, MAPINFOs are included for Eternity and ZDoom variants (hopefully including ZDaemon, though this is untested ATM), so MAP33 to MAP42 all flow together on these ports.

As a note, if all authors could check their maps and ensure they have the appropriate skies (and update 'em using MBF sky transfers if at all possible), that would be appreciated. I noticed my own map blatantly assumed it would use SKY1 so I neglected to set it explicitly (though it's fixed in the comp), and I suspect I'm not the only one.

Finally, we're not final just yet, so anyone who hasn't edited their maps post-dew-feedback, the floor's still open. Get to it! :P

The first crate in my map has a misaligned texture.

*Headdesk*

Ah well, at least it'll irritate Tarnsman. Would you be able to realign that please?

As a public heads-up, please post any map updates in this thread or it will be missed. For the folks in IRC, if you link it in #32in24 and nowhere else, I will probably not see it unless we get really lucky. D:

[I have to itali-bold this because of prior incidents. D: ]

I swapped the Take That midi to MAP34 since there was an empty slot and I don't get at how it's supposed to fit Plumbing at all. The dragonforce mid was too damn hilarious to pass up and makes way more sense there. D:

I'm not keen on having a secret exit in MAP30. For ports that would enable such behavior (ZD, EE, maybe Doomsday?), a better option IMO would be to include MAP33-MAP42 as a selectable episode.

[EDIT] To all authors: If you're credited by the wrong name in the intermission, lemme know. I know that there exit some folks that prefer using a real name or a different nick, though I don't know exactly whom. D:

Flerp! Sorry 'bout that -- got it now. Thanks for the linkage.

I'll probably post an update here in a bit; I know a couple of folks are playing through it though, so it's a bit unfortunate, but... heh.

It's out, no worries.

At any rate, here's an update:

http://static.angryscience.net/doom/32in24-14b2.zip

It's got the latest update to Rottking's map, Tango's maps, and Tib's 2nd map (egyptian addiction -- you're lucky I managed to see this in IRC you farg D: D: D:). Also made the quick Obsidian map crate-alignment fix and added the missing HUD faces... ;)

Haven't addressed MAP33's access just yet. Pending discussion, I s'pose.

Hey, MAP23. Better than my MAP29 ranking last year. Movin' up in the world, but still plenty of room for improvement.

Anyway, looks like I have a zero-length linedef to remove, so I might do a v5 soon. Might just live-and-let-live. Not sure, since it's not really hurting anything apparently?

As for handling MAP30... I dunno, a MAPINFO that just goes MAP30 -> MAP31 -> MAP32 -> MAP33 -> [...] should suffice for ZDoom ports, at least (unless there actually is a secret exit in MAP15 or something). Maybe have the episode definition in addition in case people are migrating from Boom or something?

Shadow Hog said:

Hey, MAP23. Better than my MAP29 ranking last year. Movin' up in the world, but still plenty of room for improvement

The ordering of the main 32 is in no way based on map quality. We sorted 'em to work well in terms of difficulty/theme/etc. so continuous play would make some sort of sense.

Er, yes, I knew that. I shouldn't have implied otherwise, sorry.

By the by, some suggestions for D_DM2TTL/DM2INT/READ_M: this provides a much better version of "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch", although the MIDI requests private/non-commercial use and that it not be altered (at least, not without asking the sequencer, whose site still seems to be up). Alternatively, "Welcome Christmas" could make a decent intermission tune.

I'd sequence something like I did last year, although I don't think I have the time this time around (sorry!).

Crimson Dusk said:

as a note to whoever dumbass put the wrong sky to the map, it's supposed to use sky2, not sky3!

That'd be yourself. There's nothing in the map explicitly specifying SKY2, either in slot number, MAPINFO, or sky transfers. Given that the map number (and therefore, choice of sky) in the final wad is unknown upon submission, I don't know what you were expecting.

Since my last note was buried in a longer post:
All map authors, please check your maps in the beta to see if they have the correct sky, and if not, fix it via MBF sky transfers (line actions 271 or 272). That's the only clean way to resolve any issues.

I'd recommend to Shaik to drop a note in any future single-player 32in24s for folks to use MBF sky transfers to explicitly set skies. Though all the big multiplayer ports support MAPINFO to some extent, there's a bunch of ports in the singleplayer world (PrBoom+ in particular) that don't support MAPINFO but would otherwise play the maps just fine; the only common way of assigning skies is MBF sky transfers, for better or worse. Lesson learned, I suppose? D: