Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shaikoten

32in24-14: How the Hamburglar Stole Christmas!

Cacowad said:

A quick note from the coop session, all the maps that use voodo dools are broken due the usage of odamex as port; we need to test them in another port (boom? prboom?).

Good thing mine only uses it for a secret.

I must confess that I've already started the tweaking process. Started by reducing the map's Walken Count to 1, because GLBoom+ started lagging on my rig whenever his visage graced a room - only a bit, but since I have a relatively high-end computer, I'm assuming it's a fair bit worse on others' computers, so better to err on the side of caution, there. (Besides, there should only ever be one Walken.)

Also added some additional ammo here and there because my play style tends to exhaust it all way too quickly.

there is a zandronum server up now at 50.116.50.115:10690 thanks to alexmax feel free to check it out

"Egyptian XMas Party (That You're Not Invited To)" seems to have a problem with lifts lowering a ton of sectors. it looks like a 0tag lift problem of some sort, if its this all you have to do is tag the lifts and sectors with numbers other than 0

the slime in "Krampus Academy" is not a hurt floor, maybe this is just a friendly gesture to the player but you can see if you wanna change anything

"One Flew Overy The Reindeer's Nest"(is this the correct name?) has a lot of unmarked lifts, if its intentional feel free to keep it but we would love a different texture or some sort of indication that the wall is a lift

Any reason why one of the co-op starts didn't work on my map? I know I put all of 'em there and there aren't any voodoo dolls.

joe chocolate is correct but feel free to use either as you like

obsidian you did remember to put them but it seems two of the spawns are too close together, one player ended up getting telefragged at spawn so I put it on the list

edit: just in general for everyone be sure to put a lot more ammo for multiplayer, we are be aiming for maps to be playable without respawning ammo

some bugs on "Chrismrace Challangemas", lines 261, 231, 560, 573, 707, 776, 777, 1011 and 1137 appear to be using the back side instead of the front, this straight up crashes some ports

the exit refused to open in coop for some reason not sure what would cause this, no problems in single player

Breezeep said:

Just a reminder: My map's midi is "Pursuit" by Fortytwo. This midi can be found in Jimmy's Jukebox

Or you can just ask me directly for it :P
http://www.mediafire.com/download/g6c4pejqcp5f0j1/pursuit.mid
Glad someone's using it for something!

Edit: In fact, now that someone's using it, I should try and fix it up slightly so it works better in 64-bit Windows. I just need to change around some channel numbers.
Edit: Done, that was easy. Updated link - please use this version in 32in24 :)

Okay, here I go. I'm diving in playing nubhat's WIP compilation unless stated otherwise. Map order is tentative, so I'm including map names. I'm testing with prboom-plus on complevel 9 and recording FDAs.

temp01: Raging Red Yuletide by Baratus

Gahh... this is not a good map. I'm being diplomatic here. I had a terrible time, but I admit I felt like I sucked hard. The map is way too short and simplistic, and even then, the gimmick is ruined by the vile having too easy of a job smoking you out, because rev rockets are omnipresent.

Here's an idea to salvage the gimmick: repopulate the map entirely. Put blocks on the pyramid and teleport monsters on it in waves (along with restocking the ground floor). I'm thinking three waves to unlock the exit? Perhaps switches, or line triggers upon picking up weapons, that's up to you. Extra idea: make the floor corrosive and add stone "plates" the player has to jump on. Of course, the waves shouldn't be as nutty as the revs+vile combo present right now. Maybe unless player unlocks all waves at once.

Rationalize the decorations. If you look at my demos, you'll see me struggling with them. The second one (after I ragequit the FDA) ends with me killing everything, then failing to dodge a final salvo of rev rox, because I'm backpedalling into a decoration. Booo. Extra extra idea: the plates and the waves? Change the solid plate distribution over the corrosive ground with every wave. It should be possible with Boom, I think. Don't be too cruel - given the size, this should still be an early map, so Kaizo Doom would not please the crowds.

temp 02: Candy Base by joe-ilya

I won't lie, this is some serious 1994 shit. Actually, some of the map's accidental trappings (because I don't believe any of it truly intentional) pissed me off so much I poured myself a shot of slivovitz to soothe my nerves. Here's a FDA.

First of all, I don't like the cheap way you just present the SSG and a shitton of ammo for it right at start. Including a backpack, which indicates ammo balance is not going to be a thing unless total starvation occurs. That needs to go - at least the backpack is a sin. I actually do like the rev/chainer dynamic - at least the way I abused it. A player that would start blasting at the revs would get a grindier, less exciting variant, but it's not hard to figure it out. Then you decide to murder all pace by making the player fight three mancos covered by an unreachable overlord vile over nukage with just the SSG! It is possible to completely skip the room, which is actually a much more sensible (if risky) choice than fighting the stupid mancos.

The next area has like no sense to it. I actually do like how the vile lords over even a part of that section, but: you should give him even more line of sight to improve this effect and you should do something about the invis room. It is utterly pointless. Also the baron does nothing useful at all, two revs would be much more exciting. Another stupid thing: there are some HKs in the pit under the archvile and you're supposed to jump down, but it's quite possible to have them block you from below, out of your sight. That's rookie mistake. Just add stairs, or make it gradual enough so one can shoot the HKs even under the cliff.

A minor detail: the switch in the room with the yellow stairs (why are they yellow all of the sudden?) faces the outer side - that is some stupid shit seen only in Star Wars, heh. Flip it. Then another tragedy occurs: the RL is behind a ton of rocket boxes, which are large and obscuring, so it is quite probable that a player won't notice it and he'll back out of the room without it. I did exactly that in the FDA, but I had enough of SSG ammo, so I just griefed the imp armies to death as they slowly trickled around the corners. I'm not usually a big fan of this solution, but you should block the player in this arena. Push the imps back a little and have the player fight his way out by having to spam the RL on both sides. Instead of revs, put HKs or something. But make the RL visible, goddamit.

The side sectors of this area are utterly pointless. The arachnotrons in sector 79 have no right to exist. Either put something useful behind them or don't bother at all. Archvile t.80 is a joke, he has no function. If you want a sniper there, it should be a revenant at best. If you want a vile there, he should be free to move.

The next area has a weak idea. Spamming all the imps on the stairs is really not all that exciting, expecially since you already used one imp horde gimmick. Also these imps are pathetic and harmless unless a player plays on -fast. The imps are blocked on the stairs too, so it's not like the single HK will corner you or something. I dunno, put some imps on the ground floor and make the ones on the stairs able to walk down towards the player, otherwise it's shooting fish in a barrel. I also don't like the way the final area is revealed. Heads of the barons are peeking from behind their barriers and generally the rising sector looks like ass. The arach fight is a decent idea, but since RL is the most likely weapon, you should throw some healtpacks around instead of the single soulsphere.

There's a LOT of work to be done on this map if it's meant to be presentable. It's also fairly ugly, but there are many people who can help you with that.

temp 03: Some Asshat Stole My Eggnog by Gothic

Unfinished FDA here. I got killed by a manco fireball through the wall, so I didn't bother with restarting at that point, because I was near the end. I played the map from a save to finish it.

This is such a Gothic map. It has the same problems as your DM maps, which is actually funny, because I thought you were just modelling DM maps after some SP mapset/scale. It seems you just like to go overboard with size though. I won't comment on how the map looks, because everything seems placeholderish and underdetailed 1994-style and all of that can be yet fixed, but gameplay is goddamn hilarious. There are barely any monsters in all those MASSIVE areas and any hits the player receives can be only attributed to boredom or getting too close in order to shoot things more efficiently. The map is goddamn empty!!!

You should check, like, Vanguard map10. Or another skillsaw map that deals with slaughter. Your map needs that - "light" slaughter. Imp hordes! You can keep the few revenants you have there now, but not when they're so "sparse". It only leads to the player trying to hit them from below upwards, which leads to shots (even worse, rockets) just missing and going towards empty sky. Rocket sniping fast moving revs on elevated platforms is a no-no. Basically, I can only imagine this map with laaaaarge quantities of light monsters. Imps on the upper ledges, some HKs down below to close in on the player as tanks... projectiles need to fly everywhere! Add more health to compensate for the gamestyle, but please, don't leave it as such an empty non-event.

The inside part is mehh too. The part I died in (the outside room with the narrow bridge over lava) should have some fliers coming from the sides springing after the player walks far enough. Then inside the mancos are okay, but the shotgunners just keep the player out instead of engaging. They should perhaps be around the corners, not facing the entrance. Then further up the stairs, those two barons in the siderooms are just a waste of ammo. You'd be better off adding some revs for more action. Aaaand the final room is a bit of WTF?! Did I miss a cell weapon, or am I supposde to take on the spider with just RL+SSG? With two area-denial viles behind him? That fight is very poorly conceived, as it keeps you out of the room and without proper weaponry it's just looking for a cheese strategy. The best strat is, of course, to run past everything straight into the exit, heh. You should probably add a plasma into the exit room to 1) draw the player in, 2) make the fight fair.

Anyways. Go full retard with stuff like imp spam, get inspired by skillsaw-style slaughter. You can't do much else with your massive scale. :)

temp04: Chocolate Swamp by joe-ilya

Uh. I won't dignify this with an uploaded FDA. It sapped away my will to play Doom. It's a linear SSG grind with no interesting fights at all, just monsters coming at you down boring hallways... and I'm not even sure there's enough ammo to kill everything without being extremely efficient. This would need a huge amount of work to implement "fun" somewhere. Get your map02 working and then maybe we can talk. The zombies around the burning barrel are fun though.

This filleth my cup. I'm going to continue tomorrow.

a few screenshots from the odamex coop session earlier
map35, christmas dinner pizza. I don't know why this is happening https://www.dropbox.com/s/ngfmnblfjs1frqs/Odamex_COOP_20141222_182948_%5Bfw%5Dnub_hat_32IN24-14TESTING2.WAD_MAP35.png
map34, plumbing work on christmas eve. managed to get stuck in the floor here presumably some broken sectors https://www.dropbox.com/s/2zr6mhxcel9r8x4/Odamex_COOP_20141222_213248_%5Bfw%5Dnub_hat_32IN24-14TESTING2.WAD_MAP34.png
map40, belligerent bauble bastion. slime trail/some missing textures on the floor https://www.dropbox.com/s/6n2ijs7xse7uk93/Odamex_COOP_20141222_220235_%5Bfw%5Dnub_hat_32IN24-14TESTING2.WAD_MAP40.png https://www.dropbox.com/s/sve0vwl96qv6cwx/Odamex_COOP_20141222_220342_%5Bfw%5Dnub_hat_32IN24-14TESTING2.WAD_MAP40.png https://www.dropbox.com/s/usodacok2gk6zra/Odamex_COOP_20141222_220353_%5Bfw%5Dnub_hat_32IN24-14TESTING2.WAD_MAP40.png https://www.dropbox.com/s/eh7h88iti060ycn/Odamex_COOP_20141222_220419_%5Bfw%5Dnub_hat_32IN24-14TESTING2.WAD_MAP40.png
map43, missiletow. some sort of hom stuff going on, this wasnt present at the start of the level. if it's related to some voodoo doll thing feel free to ignore https://www.dropbox.com/s/ncvs4l1qm0lp2lv/Odamex_COOP_20141222_221634_%5Bfw%5Dnub_hat_32IN24-14TESTING2.WAD_MAP43.png https://www.dropbox.com/s/2mcyv4ucfmyshb4/Odamex_COOP_20141222_221642_%5Bfw%5Dnub_hat_32IN24-14TESTING2.WAD_MAP43.png https://www.dropbox.com/s/cb6k370zuzbi55j/Odamex_COOP_20141222_221646_%5Bfw%5Dnub_hat_32IN24-14TESTING2.WAD_MAP43.png

The first HOM is one I know about, I can fix that easily. The missing textures problem though is a bit more thorny: all I did was have an action lower the floor to lowest floor and change it's texture. It works in PrBoom and ZDoom fine. Any Odamex experts loitering around that can help out? :/

nub_hat said:

Hmm, I'm pretty sure those lowering floors don't have anything to do with the voodoo dolls. If I remember right, they are just lower-to-nearest or something like that. There may be some sort of sequence breaking going on that I didn't have time to test. Or maybe some sort of compatibility conflict I didn't think about? I'll look into it.

nub_hat said:

some bugs on "Chrismrace Challangemas", lines 261, 231, 560, 573, 707, 776, 777, 1011 and 1137 appear to be using the back side instead of the front, this straight up crashes some ports

the exit refused to open in coop for some reason not sure what would cause this, no problems in single player

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8943931/doomwads/chrismrace%20challengmas2%20%286%29.wad

tested in zandro, no longer crashes. no idea about the exit, i'm using a voodoo doll though, i could take it out?

Here's the second version of my map:

Download

I fixed some of the monsters not showing up on certain difficulties and there is also slightly more ammo and health pickups for CO-OP. Let me know if there is anything I need to change.

Don't take out voodoo doll stuff this is cool, maybe some ports don't support it for coop yet but definitely will in the future

My map should be 'one flew over', not 'one flew overy'. That was Shaikoten's mistake, not mine! :(

That's intentional. It was getting rather late at night and I was sick of doing serious stuff (as you can probably tell at other points in the map as well...) and it seemed like a good idea at the time :P
The switch literally does nothing else other than raise itself up.

Edit: I have the greatest idea! Next time somebody does a jokewad, someone had better put in a switch that does this and plays the sound from here.

I hear ya, dew. My map is in dire need of reworking. I'll take onboard what you said and redo the map soon. Already got some new ideas going.

i had a feeling this was going to be a mess.

40oz said:

i had a feeling this was going to be a mess.

Nah, I hear the later maps are cooler, which makes sense. The first four entries were all rushed - and let's be honest, half-assed. Especially item placement is just winging it, cause life is too short. Luckily, that can be fixed now! These maps might need the heaviest edits though.

Btw, I'm a bit dissapointed that from the holy trinity of god speedmappers, only Obsidian contributed. Shame on you and Tarnsman. :P

even though you haven't reached my map yet, I too rushed mine. but I had a good reason for it since I was about to be dragged to an all-nighter against my will that day. expect a linear ALLBLACK map in case you haven't seen the shot on the first page.

by the way, another update because I accidentally fucked up and flagged one of the teleport destinations as multiplayer only.

stewboy said:

Mechadon, I got stuck here in your map after running across the ledge to see what would happen:
http://imgur.com/5tV903U
Don't know if there's anything you can do about that.

No clue, but I will definitely look into it. Thanks stewboy :)