Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shaikoten

32in24-14: How the Hamburglar Stole Christmas!

stewboy said:

Edit: I have the greatest idea! Next time somebody does a jokewad, someone had better put in a switch that does this and plays the sound from here.

Seconded XD

dew said:

Btw, I'm a bit dissapointed that from the holy trinity of god speedmappers, only Obsidian contributed. Shame on you and Tarnsman. :P

Oh wow, thanks. :D

@stewboy This could work too.

temp 05: Rockets on the Fir Tree by franckFRAG

FDA recorded on the testing2 version again. I really liked this map, short and sweet stuff just like speedmaps shoud be! The progression is cool and the perpetual lift may be a little silly (it kinda doesn't let the revs to be too threatening), but I kinda liked it nonetheless. :)

Now, I'd consider improving the final ambush - I mean the key party. The manco is a big non-event, imo. He holds like no threat, have you tried a vile there? Also the cacos are okay when you're inside or still fighting with everything outside, but once it comes to cleaning up, they're totally boring to kill off. Could you build a setup that would release them into the open after the player picks up the rocket launcher? That would be a cool fight by itself! Another small nitpick: the popup horde outside shouldn't be triggered by lines 508, 511 and the likes, add another line just like 1241 to sector 89 so it is a proper close range surprise.

temp 06: It Came Upon a Midnight Blackout by Getsu Fune

FDA recorded on version from this post along with the resource pack. I love how the map looks and the start areas were decent hitscan fun. The vile was actually kinda vicious thanks to really good architecture around his part. Not trivial! Good stuff, good stuff. The FDA also features a really stupid death, enjoy your small victory. D:

Now, my FDA ends unceremoniously, because you committed a zdoomism!!! You shall be flogged till the next Easter. Right behind the chaingun pickup, you have two switch lines behind a scroll texture. The lines need to be more than 16 units behidn the scroll texture, right now that thing is eating all use presses in non-zdoom ports. Last time I yelled at a person for this... it was skillsaw, hehe.

Okay, just looking at the rest of the map... I don't like how the western wing is set up. Looks a bit too "meet a monster in a corridor" with nothing to spice it up. You hand out the plasma, right? At that point... all the monsters on the way to YK should be some weaklings with hitscan attacks for immediate, but easily dispatchable danger. AFTER the trigger (l.655), the monsters should be of sterner stuff that makes the player spam the plasma with actual concern for his wellbeing. The small alcoves with like imps inside? Make that cacos or even HKs. The baron should only port in to his spot after the pickup too, to march down the hallway menacingly. Same with the side cacos. Add a vile that ports at the spot of the plasmagun with a slight delay... now you made the player fight for the key using his new shiny weapon. :P

The east wing seems okay in comparison, except for the baron. That's just ammo sponge, so consider just throwing in like two chainers or something. The only threatening thing about the baron is that the exit vile might revive it, haha. Anyways, cool looking map, just gotta work on the individual fights.

temp 07: The Assault on Mount Crumpet by TheMionicDonut

Here is an unfinished FDA on the testing2 version. I like the map, I like how wintery it looks and I like how you made use of your -12 CTF submission. I even think your monster usage is pretty good, however you need to look yourself in the eye and answer this question: "Have I tested the map to hold enough ammo? (NO I HAVEN'T!)"

Seriously, it's all fine and we can talk about particularities later, but I was starving for ammo all the goddamn time, having to run past monster crowds to use up ammo obviously placed for later fights. I don't even think health will be too much of an issue if you just place more ammo, heh. Oh right - the SSG is a bit too cruel, what with being hidden on that island behind two HKs. Just drop it in the middle of the corrosive ice pool on the bottom level or something.

temp 08: Chrismrace Challangemas by jmickle666666666

Recorded a FDA on the testing2 version (sorry, didn't notice the update). I love the idea. Goddamn, this is why 32in24 sessions are great, people come up with all sorts of craziness. The first area is really good, maybe the jump to the ledge out of there is a bit too hard to jump to? Might be just my experience. The second area didn't feel as good though. The shooting puzzle is okay, but the lost souls are not as active as you probably thought they'd be. They mostly don't do anything. Also it took me like a week to kill off the cacos in that area, because I couldn't stay in their proximity and they weren't following me anywhere, so that felt a bit meh. Basically, the first area rockssss... the second needs a bit more work. Add more proper monsters (like, sniper revs in alcoves?), but also a non-moving area where one can shoot without interruption - make it vulnerable of course, so shit is still flying at the player and he needs to jump off after a while.

Also I didn't even see two monsters in my FDA for some reason.

Here's another update for my map. I wanted to make some fixes and changes right now since I don't know if I'll have the time to work on it later.

http://mekworx.the-powerhouse.net/mekastuff/wads/32in24/32in24-14/mek-32in24-14-missiletow.wad

A quick changelog:
- Fixed the bug that stewboy pointed out; I raised the wall an extra 32px so I don't think its possible to jump into that area from the BK ledge anymore (if it is, I'll raise it another 32px :P)
- Changed the way some of the lowering floors worked so that things work more smoothly now.
- The final fight before the exit now raises some walls up so that you cannot backtrack deep into the first half of the map. You can lower these walls again with a new switch just before the exit switch.
- Added a few more small encounters and changed up some existing encounters a bit.
- Added a bit more rocket ammo in the latter half of the map.
- Made some other bug fixes and changes I can't remember because I've been tinkering with the map on and off all day :P
- Added some tentative music from here (more info)

By the way, I looked into the weird lowering floor thing in Odamex, but I couldn't reproduce it. It could be some sort of sequence break that I'm not aware of, but I couldn't figure it out if so. It didn't seem to be a compatibility problem either. Though Odamex didn't build one of my stairs properly (they were still useable, thankfully). So I don't know what's going on there.

After getting a chance to play through the whole thing, the latter half of the map actually came out better than I expected. Though I'm not entirely happy with the final fights...not sure what to do with it though. I'll just wait and see what feedback you guys have. Anyways, I'm done tinkering with the map for now (unless more bugs are found).

Can I request the removal of my map "Some asshat stole my eggnot"? I'm definitely not very proud of it, and I'm not interested on improve it.

update

krusty krab kwanzaa kaper kchangelog:
-difficulty adjustments for coop and (slightly) UV
-better visual clarity
-fixed the teleporter lines being one-time use

-incomplete cosmetic work
-skill settings not fully optimized yet

gonna wait for some feedback before doing any more adjustments, I do feel these changes make the map a bit more fun but I'm open for change.

Seeing as everyone else is doing it, here's an update: ammo is a bit more plentiful, difficulty settings are implemented and the ice now has friction. Still need an explanation as to why Odamex coughed up a glitch in my map.

http://speedy.sh/kMZVr/32in2414phil.wad

Update on my "Fuck Christmas, I just want to read!" map.

-add small details on the red key area of the map
-replace 2 spectres with 2 revenents in the red key area
-slightly increase lighting from 144 to 160 on most of the map
-remove 2 shotgun boxes from blue key area(leftover mp ammo that wasn't needed)
-add snow8 textures on blue key area

Tango said:

is detailing maps this week allowed or are we supposed to save that till sunday?

I think when we first started using this process, it was officially supposed to just be on the two Sundays, but it was impossible to enforce (and kind of pointless). I've been detailing mine throughout the week, personally. Go for it.

I, uhh, did pretty much all my detailing in the 24 hours. I'm still waiting to see if I did a decent job of it, heh. :P

Personally i pushed an update just because my map was broken otherwise, i'll wait next sunday to datail it (also because i still have to think on how detail it).

Okay, let's not turn this into a Joe-bashing session, mmkay? :) Hopefully Dew can post some more feedback soon.

Breezeep said:

I think joe needs to think before he posts and learn some of the basic things that makes a map good.

haven't you said this before at some point in time

Good idea. I gave myself a Christmas Day break, heh.

temp 09: Reindeer Processor by Jimmy

FDA recorded on the testing2 version. Very cool map... very plutonish and non-linear. Quite complete package for a speedmap! Were you channeling your current Jungle Spirits mood? :P That said, the start is a bit too cruel, imo. All the truly valuable resources (SSG, RL, armors) require either preknowledge or rather suicidal tendencies paired with luck. All those things are too far and too well hidden. I mean yeah, it's possible to spot the SSG from the ground floor, but one would have to get a break from all the goddamn revs&other trash. So basically... I don't think anything needs rebalancing, but I'd place a HMP green armor near the start and I'd move the SSG to sector 110 - so it's the first thing the player sees at spawn. It's the classic Romero technique of showing the player what he wants before he gets it. To be honest, at one point I wondered if there would even be a SSG in the map, heh. It'd still be about as far as it is currently, too. Put something else where the SSG is now, a medkit or whatever.

Oh right... the fake exit is a bit undersold. Probably port a surprise enemy (like a PE or a rev) on the fake exit catwalk as soon as the player reaches it... and when the player triggers the real exit and the final battle... could s.148 and 166 sink into the slime as the exit barrier raises? It should make the exit fight more exciting and the effect should be more impressive, hehe.

temp 10: A Very Tyson Christmas by TheMionicDonut

FDA recorded on the testing2 version. A chainsaw tyson map is a pretty rare sight. You've handled it well, the MP layout does feel perfect for some reason, monsters kinda sorta roam around and you never get the same fights twice.

I'd say the map is a bit too tough. I'm fairly good at this sort of gameplay and I had to try pretty hard to manipulate the cacos to infight, because they came at me in a pair. I mean sure, you can rush forward and grab the chaingun, but that's not really an option when you don't know about it and you're low on health... and there are like no pickups. Sooo... I'd say add more health pickups to cut the player some slack. That way they can risk with the saw a bit more, eat some more damage while fooling around. On the other hand, make the chaingun pickup harder so it's not just a gimmie at the other side of the map. Preferably, make it only available after the key pickup. You know - go full tyson way, don't allow this cop out.

Speaking of which... the spiders are pretty much unkillable with the saw, so one would have to pistol kill them. Or just ignore them. Could the monster that ports in later be a manco so one can stage an infight and finish off the victor? It would be kind of lame if Very Tyson Christmas wasn't really friendly to tysoning, heh. (Just to clarify: tyson allows using melee weapons and the pistol, so the CG is there as an "I give up" option.)

joe-ilya said:

If you are gay and love hidden cocks

There are three hidden cocks on your proposed titlepic, only two on the official title pic.

joe-ilya said:

If you are gay and love hidden cocks, you can keep the TITLEPIC as is, I'm not homophobic, I can understand you guys.

Jesus christ it's like being in secondary school again. Grow the fuck up.

FuzzballFox said:

The original follows the classic 32in24 theme.
Crap screenshot edits do not! :D

That's a concept, the author of the current TITLEPIC can make a painting based on what I've done.