Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shaikoten

32in24-14: How the Hamburglar Stole Christmas!

The Assault on Mount Crumpet by TheMionicDonut: Cool, the stuff that bothered me is taken care of, especially the ammo balance in the first areas. Minor technical nitpicks: In this area lowering the lift reveals some HOMs. And it wouldn't be a sp project if dew didn't find a few hover items! I found shellbox t.422 and stimpaks t.464 and 465. They need to be moved a few units away from their closest adjanced higher sector, because they "jump up" to its height after some sectors start changing their height in the near vicinity. The bug is quite unpredictable, to be honest, but usually easy to fix. It's almost a non-issue here, but imagine the items jumping upwards beyond the player's reach... yeah, it happens too.

A Very Tyson Christmas by TheMionicDonut: Alright, the map is tysonable now. Manco is the toughest reasonably punchable monster in vanilla, so a pair of them makes it just challenging enough. The pair of chainers on the ledge has to be pistol'd, but that's within tyson rules and it's yet another small piece of challenge. If one wishes to jump through the tyson hoops. Btw, the chaingun can be bump-grabbed with just two switches down. I think that's funny and good.

Buntaluffigus Mountain and Generic Caps (also, Baby Jesus) by TheMionicDonut: Seems to be working right. Except the easter egg texture in the secret area is now a HOM. Bad tex format? The secret exit script works... and there's indeed plenty enough of time to solve it. Also stuff is indeed tougher in Alex's portion of the map!

Alright, I'm done for tonight. It's far too late. I'll continue checking the new edits though, because critical bugs and other serious issues just have to be treated before release. Thanks to all you awesome people who keep working on their submissions!

I've been trying to finish up my map updates today before the deadline. Buuut I've gotten a bit stupid with it, and its taking longer than it should. I'm going to be working on it all night in order to finish it up, and hopefully it'll be worth it :P

Update to my first map: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/66055976/2014/wads/32in24-14-dusk1-v2.wad
- added more items and a few more monsters to even things out, added basic difficulty settings
- fixed the yellow key door/switch not working
- various cosmetic fixes
- the long swirly exit path should now be less boring to traverse
- a rather big secret that can change the very flow of the level! :D

I've run completely out of steam tonight, and my updates aren't quite done yet :(. I'm uploading the w.i.p. map for now, just in case I can't get around to finishing it in time. Someone can finish it off for the release if I'm too busy to do it myself. But I am planning on finishing it up, hopefully tomorrow sometime.

http://mekworx.the-powerhouse.net/mekastuff/wads/32in24/32in24-14/mek-32in24-14-missiletow-detailwip.wad

Fuck Christmas, I Just Want To Read! by Philnemba: The caco fight is much better now. The rev is a bit pointless though, he starts infighting and gets shredded very fast, haha. The other cavern plays faster now, good.

Raging Red Yuletide by Baratus & Jimmy: Cool, this makeover works much better. Fun climb.

I'm Dreaming of an Orange Christmas (In Space) by Breezeep: Thanks for implementing the changes, but some of them don't work as intended, I'm afraid. You've changed the trigger lines on RK to open-wait-close the blue door, which means the player can run to the PE, the door will close behind him and the baron will be left stranded behind a door he can't open. :) This does warrant a fix. Also I think the pair of revenants were a better ambush, but they were also... meaner. The second vile is more manageable, not sure what you prefer.

Christmas on Deimos by Walter Confalonieri: A ton of small changes and improvements, I see! It definitely adds depth to the map, it feels fleshed out now. One questionable decision though. You've opened another way out of the RL room, but that way player can easily miss that something happened in the crate room. Perhaps if the rocket launcher itself was on the crates, the player would have a clue to return there?

Reindeer Processor by Jimmy: Yeees. Very good! Love the ending.

Krampus Academy by NoneeLlama: Good, the map doesn't feel empty and thanks to the overlapping of some of the fights less stringy too! Mission accomplished. Also "repopulating the ballroom" -> send in the archvile is a pretty cheeky solution, haha. Ammo can get pretty tight, but mostly the RL part drained my SSG ammo when I visited it early. I always had at least CG ammo, but perhaps you should add a shellbox or two for lower difficulties. And coop. Keep UV this frugal, it's cool.

dew said:

Christmas on Deimos by Walter Confalonieri[/b]: A ton of small changes and improvements, I see! It definitely adds depth to the map, it feels fleshed out now. One questionable decision though. You've opened another way out of the RL room, but that way player can easily miss that something happened in the crate room. Perhaps if the rocket launcher itself was on the crates, the player would have a clue to return there?

Good point, dew. And what about if the rocket launcher will be in the new opened outdoor section?

That's up to you, but I thought the RL should draw the player back to the crate room. "There was a RL I couldn't reach, maybe now that I've pressed a switch I can get to it." It would work if the RL was visible from the outside too, but you need the player to get up the crates and open the door to the sewer - so he needs to remember to go back instead of just checking the cool new route and then wandering around cluelessly. (That actually happened to me, I forgot the sequence, heh.) Btw, the baron fight in the nukage is fairly easy but it's a cool moment, imo.

ACCIDENTAL MAP UPDATE AWWW YEAH

Name: No Festivus For the Living
Base: "Serenity Now, Insanity Later" (MAP14 of 32in24-6) -- style-only, no copypasta
Music: "Jurassic Park" by Weird Al Yankovic
Linkage: http://static.angryscience.net/doom/xa-festi.wad

Finished up the missing bits, so now there's a couple of evil pit rooms, an automap easter egg, and a kickass curved staircase bit of ultra-danger. Gameplay's been tweaked up and revamped throughout, and some parts of the map play entirely differently now (for good measure): the new theme is "blast lots of little dudes with rockets" because that's fun as shit (thanks dew!). In turn, the Feats of Strength now have rockets, since rockets are strong and fists are silly against 10,000,000 pigs.

Note that this map has also been renamed from "A Festivus for the Rest of Us" to "No Festivus For the Living" because the latter's punnier. Thanks to whomever suggested it... of which I cannot remember at the present time. D:

Commence the meatloaf!

Walken in a Winter Wonderland by Shadow Hog: This plays so much better. It's gigantic, but now it feels like a string of meaningful encounters, starting with the imp horde herding you down the corridors, hah. The lost souls in the maze work perhaps too well, haha. It was a pretty scary sight when the horde floated up and started harassing me and a few unlucky monsters as well, haha. It's a cool moment, but fairly harsh... maybe deafen a few of the skulls so they're not so overwhelming? Oh and the circle arena works excellent now that all monsters can walk everywhere and the viles join the fun later. The moving center add an element of chaos, heh.

Xaser said:

Note that this map has also been renamed from "A Festivus for the Rest of Us" to "No Festivus For the Living" because the latter's

The Hearth Base
The Elf Lab
Canyon of the Gingerbread
No-Hell Mountain

Xasermap: whatever is the current name, heh. We discussed this on irc and the map grew into something incredibly cool. But for the sake of completeness I have to mention the bug I found. Because it's not a Xasermap if there isn't a ridiculous, comically rare bug. These pigs never ported out. The reason? For some reason they turned around and started walking the other way. Thanks to Xaser's combination of Boom and classic teleporter lines, this lead to a neverending pig march. Because pigtrains never stop when left unatended.

All I Want For Christmas is a Masterbowl by AlexMax: Cool stuff. I think it's better when difficulty is achieved through intensity and fighting than through having the exact amount of ammo needed to kill X monsters. The start of the second map is probably the hardest part, but keep it that way. Just one thing... I assume you close off the wah back to the central "soulsphere" stand so players can't run away from viles. But triggering it by the zerk pickup? Heh, what if someone doesn't need the zerk? Make the rim of the flagstand activate the effect, imo.

Winterfresh Gum Dictatorship by RottKing: I've got nothing. Good map.

Belligerent Bauble Bastion by Obsidian: Same. No complaints.

If there's still time to deafen a few Lost Souls, I'll take a look into it.

Gez said:

The Hearth Base
The Elf Lab
Canyon of the Gingerbread
No-Hell Mountain

Knee Deep in Gingerbread
The Shores of Jingle Bells
Christmas Conifer-no
Thy Cash Consumed

I dunno, I came up with the first one, then struggled with the others. (And then noticed you'd made the joke already anyway. Bleh.)

Shadow Hog said:

If there's still time to deafen a few Lost Souls, I'll take a look into it.

Knee Deep in Gingerbread
The Shores of Jingle Bells
Christmas Conifer-no
Thy Cash Consumed

I dunno, I came up with the first one, then struggled with the others. (And then noticed you'd made the joke already anyway. Bleh.)

Don't Krampus my Style
Tis' the Season to be Festy
Hell's Jingle Bells
Deck the Halls with Bleeding Bodies

Am I doing this right?

Milk and Sugar by Cacowad: First of all, this is MUCH more fun to play. The map is still a bunch of massive caverns, so they're inevitably a bit featureless without a lot of hardcore mapping, but now they're filled up decently and there are projectiles flying around and generally there's action. The viles especially are very potent in those open spaces. There's almost no cover, so they become an immediate death threat. Speaking of which, the pair in the western arena is perhaps too cruel, heh. I had my hands full to get out of that scenario with a couple of loads, weekend warriors might throw in the towel and iddqd through, I'm afraid. I'd say add a soulsphere on UV and go with full megasphere on HMP and lower. That fight is no joke. Also the teleporter closets are still broken, I got a stuck imp this time. The problem is that your redundancy lines have no target sectors! Their tags lead to nowhere, so they're thoroughly useless. Also make them less slanted, there's an empty space on the left where the redundancy line covers almost no space. And finally this made me laugh... what the hell is with that exit? There's a non-functional switch and an exit line in front of bars that look like they're blocking off the real exit. That's some high level trolling, dude, like something out of Mock or WOOO. Almost tempted to ask you to leave it in, ahah.

Christmas Eve in the Pie in the Sky Diner by lupinx-Kassman: Woah, I see what you had in mind with the cyberdemon. Sick. Also hilarious "maze" gimmick, rockets fly pretty close around the ears there. I think it's a tad more comfortable for life thanks to the armors. A small visual bug though... a HOM on l.1333 and 2109.disregard that, I was playing the older version. The only potential problem that's still there is the inescapable "eye" between the platforms near the lift to SSG. But if you do wish to keep that there, it's not that much of an issue.

Derp, what if i told you that was unintentional? that's what appen when you don't test things properly eheh, i am almost tempted to leave it in, almost. In the meantime i'll implement skill settings and such (aka less mobs(arch) in easy\medium and such).

So bad that it's good sort of mapping error, haha. Anyways, continuing my second pass...

A Very Patrick Swayze Christmas by Zakurum: Damn, this map got complex in the meantime. I like how you built inwards and the automap almost resembles a zdoom map, heh. The final fight is more climatic and I have to say, I only found the supersecret BFG with the help of buddy Doombuilder. But it's cool, the hints are there. I'm just too overworked with Doom, heh. Cool stuff, no complaints. I think.

Hey Guys ROmero Actually Showed Up This Time by Marcaek: Alright, this is a major improvement over the skeleton of a map presented last time, haha. The weirdo steely bare architecture feels like a mixture of Quake and... Requiem. Don't kill yourself, Caek! There's so much to live for! Anyways, it's waaay too cruel. I saveloaded my way through and I found all secrets, without them it would be so much more excruciating. The berserk in the PG area seems almost vital. I don't think I'd get past the walls of vile-resurrected monsters without the RL... and both the weapons get a pathetic amount of ammo. Plus RL is secret. There's only so many revs one can SSG down as they march down a straight and narrow hallway, heh. The cellpack hidden in the northernmost room is also vital yet very easy to miss. It's not like you need to add much more ammo (except a few rockets), but split the cells you already have and put some of them... under the player's feet, so to say. Also here's a concept worth exploring: armor. Green for UV, Blue for HMP. It's vicious without one and things would get almost magically mended with it. Imo. :P And finally, vile t.48 is trapped without a way out, because there's nothing to open s.119.

Plumbing Work on Christmas Eve by nub_hat: http://imgur.com/a/LBXfX
Map of the Year, Every Year.

Christmas Dinner Pizza by nub_hat: I guess this might end up as the actual map30, because it's the better of your IoS maps, so let's get things thoroughly finished. I've managed to kill all the original monsters, so the map is maxable. Very good. It needs a few touches so it isn't an arduous task, though. First of all, a very small but important change - replace the berserk with a chainsaw. It'll work better for coop and it'll help immensely with the cacodemons. Punching them is very risky, sawing them is safe, more fun and perhaps even faster than shotgunning them. The start shouldn't be too arduous before things go down. Then the slaughter part. It's already pretty great, the cacos are very annoying when I try to grab the rocket stockpile, which is good. Now a very important thing: mark the cube targets. Like, make a small X depression in the floor. It's already a fairly common way to alert the player where monsters spawn. I got stuck in a monster once, haha. D: At least in map30 it would be a telefrag, but yeah. Mark it down, please. As far as ammo balance goes... I found it strangely just right. There's not enough in the first half to clear everything out, so one has to go to the second one and return back if he wants to kill everything. That is good, although kind of funny, considering romero is just sitting there, heh. And oh... this should probably be some DOORTRAK or something. :P

Christmas The Flag by nub_hat: Wow, this actually improved a hundredfold. The graphical glitches are all sorted out except this teleporter (although that may be intentional), these windows, which probably should be some grate midtex, because monsters happily shoot through it (on both sides) and of course YK and RK doors, which need unpegged tracks. :) Otherwise I also found the balance pretty good. Start with SSG, get RL, get BFG, spam RL, spam BFG... find yourself at Gunslinger with low health and no power ammo only to get replenished for the final fight. That still needs some boosting though. The mega is not enough if one wants to take on the cybs... a soulsphere on the middle, another one in the "enemy base" and a few cell packs on that side would definitely do a lot to establish a really climatic finale. This map starts to feel epic enough.