Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fulgrim

Oh hay look [The Interview on youtube]

Yeah I saw that too. Makes me wonder if it was just all a ploy to change sales methods to Youtube. You might think I'm crazy to say that, but Sony also did Spiderman, the one with Toby. They originally wanted to strike a deal with on demand to make that exclusively on demand pay-per-view and save themselves theater expenses. Then finally someone said no you idiots. $10 per ticket is better than $15 where you get 8 people to watch it.

Was the hacking for real or a marketing stunt? Or if it was real, did it really come from DPRK?

I'm sure the hacking was real, but I'm just as sure Sony's taking advantage of the situation to save themselves from a film they knew was gonna bomb harder than an actual attack from North Korea. I mean, how many people who never would've seen that piece of crap are now saying, "I'm totally gonna watch this movie on Youtube, 'cause 'MURICA!"

Franco and Rogen in a film = success. Even a movie for a crowd that doesn't go to movie theaters at a time when people buy gifts not their own entertainment. Unless its COD.

Here's the math as proven by Pineapple Express and This is the End:
Rogen + Franco + (budget * 4) = profit

But if its not shown at theaters, it has no chance for a a profit. Even DVDs, rentals and network deals won't be enough.

I think Sony knew it would bomb. Man I hated Pineapple Express. I saw it in theaters with another friend that doesn't smoke weed. It was like two and a half hours.

I hope there's a sequel. The Interview: The Empire Strikes Back.

All the reviews I've seen so far say it's somewhere between mediocre and shit. So, it's much as expected.

All the fuss surrounding it is almost certainly going to ensure that far more people see it than were originally planning to. Many will pay to see it legally but the number of seeders of the torrent on the 25th was huge too.

Could it be just marketing? If it is, it's very successful but also pretty high stakes. If it ever came out that it was all just marketing I don't think it would do Sony much good. I mean, 'murca has been so butthurt over "Kim Jong Un telling us what we can watch", just imagine if it was Sony marketing all along.

At least all this American outrage will mobilise US citizens to actually take tangible action against NK's appalling human rights record. OWAIT, no it won't.

Funny thing is, we are always being told by the media what we can and can't watch because they make decisions all the time about which movies (etc) they are going to make (or release, or when they will release and where) and which ones they aren't. Their reasons could be monetary or political or whatever they like really. I guess it's different when Asian Cartman and his regime are (or appear to be) directly responsible rather than something happening behind the industry's closed doors.

geekmarine said:

I'm sure the hacking was real, but I'm just as sure Sony's taking advantage of the situation to save themselves from a film they knew was gonna bomb harder than an actual attack from North Korea. I mean, how many people who never would've seen that piece of crap are now saying, "I'm totally gonna watch this movie on Youtube, 'cause 'MURICA!"

Pretty much and that's what really bothers me. Instead of seeing The Interview, people should be giving their money to various organizations who help people escape NK and set them up in other countries. At lest their money would be going to a worth while cause.

The other thing that really ticks me off is all these asshats now going on about how the US and NATO should go after Kim Jong-Un. Because that worked out so well in Iraq and Libya. Also, without serious mental deprogramming a lot of people in NK will have a massive mental break down if Kim and his buddies where simply taken out. Those people have been living under a extremely oppressive dictatorship for generations, you simply can't expect them to function normally when it's gone, without some major help. It would be like taking a tribes man out of the rain forest and dropping them off in the middle of New York without preparing him for it first.

geo said:

Yeah I saw that too. Makes me wonder if it was just all a ploy to change sales methods to Youtube.

As someone who has a relative that works for Sony and as someone who had their own identity leaked, it wasn't.

Snakes said:

As someone who has a relative that works for Sony and as someone who had their own identity leaked, it wasn't.

Any identity theft yet?

Satyr000 said:

The other thing that really ticks me off is all these asshats now going on about how the US and NATO should go after Kim Jong-Un. Because that worked out so well in Iraq and Libya.

Not going to happen, unless North Korea's sitting in huge reserves of crude oil. Besides, our governments NEED a deranged dictator or two that they can present to us as hate objects, and a means of drawing our attention away from domestic policy fiascos.

Enjay said:

All the reviews I've seen so far say it's somewhere between mediocre and shit.

I've seen the movie. I'm going to be candid and just say the reviews are wrong.

geo said:

Any identity theft yet?

Not me, no. I'm enrolled in a program to monitor it, though. The member of my family who is employed, however, had her bank account hacked and was fortunate enough to catch after a single iTunes purchase was made. Lucky as hell on that one.

I still want to know wtf was up with that guy that made the "Kony 2012" video.. then the "alternative media" made a coordinated info attack against it saying it was propaganda trying to manufacture an excuse to invade africa.. and then the video maker was caught masturbating in public... Isn't that a bit over the top and suspicious, like the scene from Die Hard with a Vengeance where the villain makes John McClane wear this sign in harlem: http://static.giantbomb.com/uploads/original/0/5993/848141-john_mcclane_hates_niggers.jpg
Did Simon Peter Gruber tell this guy to masturbate in public too?
I think what might be happening is the "alternative media" is really the "mainstream media", just in a new tactically spread out/decentralized structure to compete with the ubiquity of every joe blow having a video camera. They'll monopolize the alternative media first, by "debunking" stories that were manufactured just so they can debunk them to appear credible. Maybe even stuff like SOPA and CISPA, maybe even the patriot act etc were all made just for the alternative media to bash. Then when they snowball viewship and have lock in from first mover advantage, they can continue doing what the main stream media did only under the guise as "alternative media".

Then there's the wiki leaks guy who is wanted for his sexing of 13 year old boys. Its all a plot. Make them hated so everyone turns on them.

I remember seeing the trailer trailer in theaters this September, and to be quite honest, I could see his temper tantrum coming.

Sony of America was trying to cash in on the North Korea incident, but by doing so they played with political fire while damaging the Sony brand name originating from Japan even further. I would love to see the same movie made in Europe and the target to be an american president, just to feel the joy in seeing people their pride hurt. (to place it into perspective.)

FireFish said:

I would love to see the same movie made in Europe and the target to be an american president, just to feel the joy in seeing people their pride hurt. (to place it into perspective.)

Americans wouldn't care. Making fun of the president is common practice. Even killing him is not a foreign idea. Maybe some deluded college age Tublr-tards would get angry for ridiculing Obama, but even Saturday Night live mocks him so the left isn't exactly favoring him. And since there is no republicans in office the only news network to have a tantrum would be Fox.

Technician said:

Americans wouldn't care. Making fun of the president is common practice. Even killing him is not a foreign idea. Maybe some deluded college age Tublr-tards would get angry for ridiculing Obama, but even Saturday Night live mocks him so the left isn't exactly favoring him. And since there is no republicans in office the only news network to have a tantrum would be Fox.

Well that is in house humor, there will always be angry nationalists (right wing) when a foreign nation takes the role of the offender, and lets not forget those whom worship America. And that's what i was after.

But yeah, nobody would start a war (i hope) over such a thing next to some internet retaliation by a bunch of morons. Good point.

That's how you know how famous you are. When there are people that mock you.

geo said:

That's how you know how famous you are. When there are people that mock you.

Then I must be REALLY famous :P

It's funny, no matter how much hype this film has, I couldn't give a flying feth. Not only is it probably some highbrow crap that forgot to be entertaining (there's nothing wrong with highbrow stuff as long as it actually remembers that it is supposed to captivate someone's emotions), anything with a name like The Interview fails hard. Who the hell hears "The Interview is coming out!" and perks up with interest? It sounds like someone's getting a job, which reminds me of work, and I wouldn't pay to see that. In fact they have to pay me.

Technician said:

And since there is no republicans in office the only news network to have a tantrum would be Fox.

I don't remember that many people getting up in arms when Postal not only killed Bush, but implied that he commissioned 9/11. Granted, conspiracy theorists probably believe in the latter and have been spatting about it for years, right alongside "Bush Sr. shot Kennedy" and "Babies Live on the Titanic".

Looks like it did $1 million in 300 theaters and $15 million from 2 million streams? Not sure how it could make that much on only 2 million streams. That's like $7.50 per stream and Google, Microsoft and Playstation want 30% Most places were renting it for $6. Ah here's the catch. You can flat out buy it for $15. So a lot of people must have just bought it.

So now its up to losing $35 million. They can probably close the gap.