Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chopkinsca

Game of the year 2014

I've been playing a lot of Nuclear Throne and Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, so I guess those are my favorite of this year.

Doom is my game of forever though.

Hexen

Oh, they still make games since Doom and Hexen? Who knew. All right, I did play a handful of games this year.

Best games from "2014" I've played:

5-Trials Fusion (more Trials, basically)
4-Mini Metro (brilliant beautiful real-time puzzle game, but early access atm)
3-Mario Kart 8 (more fun and skillful than Mario Kart has any right to be)
2-Lethal League (first "fighting" game I've ever enjoyed, except perhaps smash bros)
1-Shovel Knight (I love 16-bit-era platformers and this is probably the new best one ever)

Highly recommend all five of those. Shovel Knight is amazing.

Other "2014" games I played that were less good: Gauntlet (meh all around), Starbound (huge dissappointment, felt very boring), Defense Grid 2 (I'll give it another chance someday because I loved the first game, but something felt janky about this one), Super Smash Bros For Wii U (The level editor is worse and that was my favorite thing in Brawl, yeah I'm crazy)

I checked all my games. Apparently I haven't bought a "new" game all year. Silly me.

Still, I enjoyed playing Hexen properly all the way through recently, and I've been having plenty of fun with Natural Selection 2 and Red Orchestra 2 lately.

The thing I am looking forward to the most next year is Star Wars. That is a movie and not a game though.

Tough call between Dark Souls 2 and Ziggurat.

Dark Souls 2 has excellent breadth and made so many important qualify of life improvements. Such a great game all around.

Ziggurat might be the first FPS to feature the kind of combat I like to see in that genre since Doom. Fast movement, projectile-based enemies. So many projectiles. So many patterns. While it doesn't take long to see everything the game has to offer, the core gameplay feels... comfy. This seems like the best word. It's the whole experience of being able to start a game and find yourself fighting enemies within a few seconds, with responsive mechanics and decent visuals. The limited randomness makes it so you're in known territory, and yet it's different enough to keep things interesting.

Even more impressive to me, no bunnyhopping or straferunning or rocketjumps or slides or doubletap dodges. At times it feels as if I'm the only person in the world who likes oldschool shooters and yet dislikes advanced movement stuff, but here comes this game. It's like it was made to specifically cater to my interests.

I guess it says something that I have one line to say about one game and a whole paragraph about the other, but then Ziggurat is fresh in my mind and I haven't played the DS2 DLCs yet.

Alien Isolation and Last of Us definitive edition made my modern game year complete. Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls expansion was also enjoyable experience.

dethtoll said:

Silly children, it only applies if the game came out that year! So Doom is disqualified!

(If not for that I'd be naming it too.)

Anyway Alien Isolation is the clear winner for me.

TF2 keeps having new content. It should count.

I've only played 2 2014 games in 2014. So Broforce.

geo said:

TF2 keeps having new content. It should count.

I've only played 2 2014 games in 2014. So Broforce.

to be honest, IMO I seriously dread the new content released by TF2, sure it did have a few enjoyable updates, but other than that all that gets released are unbalanced weapons, oh and 50 more hats every update.

Doominator2 said:

to be honest, IMO I seriously dread the new content released by TF2, sure it did have a few enjoyable updates, but other than that all that gets released are unbalanced weapons, oh and 50 more hats every update.

The unbalanced weapons are really rock paper scissors. Situational. Staying in the boundaries that you excel at.

But yes, TF2 is going down hill quickly. The beta maps and modes especially. People are pissed off that Snowplow wasn't put into End of the Line. Well I've played it and its fucking stupid. Its chocolate control point when vanilla works just fine.

The grappling hooks and buffs in the new stupid mode they implemented is just too strawberry flavored for me. Again, Vanilla is just fine. It feels like their way of thanking Quake Live for being on Steam.

The hats are getting excessive, but it keeps designers dedicated to making content for their game and not someone else's. Just like the trading, keeps players playing and idling as Europeans and Asians try to make a career out of trading.

2014 was a fine year for games. Alien Isolation was probably my favourite, though I've put more hours into Legend of Grimrock 2 and Space Hulk Ascention.

Honourable mentions: Far Cry 4, Shadow of Mordor and Watch Dogs.

For me it was definitely Wolfenstein.
Far Cry 4 was nice, but felt more like a great expansion pack than a stand alone game. Not so much in the sense that it had little content (it didn't), but because it's basically (exaggeration of course) a skin mod for Far Cry 3 with less interesting story and environment. Very enjoyable game, but not GOTY material.

Shaviro said:

For me it was definitely Wolfenstein.

Mine too, with Dragon Age as a close second.

As much as I loved Wolfenstein, there were a few annoying flaws.

I felt the castle section in the beginning was too short.

For all the impact nazism had on society according to marketing we actually see very little of this. A non-linear city level like in Duke3D would have rectified this problem. A level with many alternative paths leading to the Nautica (instead of the suicide bomber) and with many optional side buildings with many points of entry. What would a cafe look in this universe? What about very early video games? How about lots of interactive objects like in Duke3D? Gambling to get money to operate machines, secret sewer passages etc. The level could have been completed either completely stealthy or all guns blazing. The way you approached the level would have influenced how the next level played out.

The moon level was also too short, would have liked to spend more time there, in fact I half expected the player to not return to Earth at all and the game to finish on Mars.

In general, quite a few of the levels felt too short but the ones are mentioned felt important to the game and story, at least to me.

An extra weapon or two like the Flamethrower or the Tesla Gun would have been nice.

Also, we only see each villain twice. 4 times would have been the absolute minimum to me.

Lastly, although the game had many secrets it was a tad too linear for my tastes. It starts out great in terms exploration and then we get less and less of it with the occasional brillian secret. The bridge level had a few very good ones. I want to see more level design complexity in the next game. The part in the beginning where you have to assault the bunker was great. You could either blow up the main door or the weapons cache, opening a secret alternative route. Why wasn't there more stuff like this?

The laserkraftwerk was just a gimmick, they didn't do enough interesting things with the cutter. A shame.

The amount of praise that Wolf:TNO gets everywhere is even more depressive to me than how overrated BioShock Infinite was in 2013. That game does almost everything wrong. But of course I seem to be in an extreme minority.

I don't have any candidates for a GotY2014. Reaper of Souls and Ethan Carter were my favourites but they're hardly GotY material.

It sure has flaws but the gunplay and atmosphere make up for them. Best guns of 2014.

EDIT: Ah yes and the vehicle section sucked balls, in fact the whole Camp Bellica sucked balls, except the hilarious ending.