Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: Resurgence

Resurgence.jpg

What is the DWmegawad Club?
This is a place where we settle down, have a cup of tea (or drink of your choice) and take a month to play through a megawad on our own, together! Any keen observations, criticisms, or frustrated ranting about it goes here in the discussion. As long as you want to say something about what you've played, feel free to speak your mind.

Can I join?
Sure. The only rule is that you have to play at least some of the levels in our monthly megawad to contribute, but you're generally encouraged to finish the whole thing, even if you've played it before.

What levels am I allowed to post about?
Whatever day of the month it is, is the upper limit for the map you can post on. So if it's the 6th, you may discuss up to MAP06.

Do I have to post an entry every day?
Nope, not at all. This is only for our more enthusiastic members. As long as you play through it with us you’re part of the club.

----------

>>>DOWNLOAD RESURGENCE<<<

Resurgence is a substantially upgraded version of Josh Sealy's incomplete megawad Surge, undergoing some drastic changes in the process. The Boom compatible maps vary from small to oh-my-god large, and the gameplay is more explosive than a can of Surge glued to the ass of Nicki Minaj. Prepare to claw your way out of Hell!

Maplist for Resurgence:

Map01 - “Awakening”
Map02 - “Hell's Lamentation”
Map03 - “Cave of the Lost Souls”
Map04 - “A Fistful of Imps”
Map05 - “Sinister”
Map06 - “Fortress”
Map07 - “Gauntlet”
Map08 - “Obsidian Hotbed”
Map09 - “Scorching Savanna”
Map10 - “The Courtyard”
Map11 - “Twi-Lite Massacre”
Map12 - “Homecoming”
Map13 - “Assault”
Map14 - “Hyper-Spelunking”
Map15 - “Nukage Bay”

Map31 - “Festering Wicked Helix Sectors”
Map32 - “Poison Oak”

Map16 - “Close Quarters”
Map17 - “Underground Barrage”
Map18 - “Excavation Project”
Map19 - “Quadrilateral Rampage”
Map20 - “Waves of Darkness”
Map21 - “Ravages of Time”
Map22 - “Mt. Katoomba”
Map23 - “Claret Tides"
Map24 - “Nuclear Winter”
Map25 - “Technoprison II”
Map26 - “The Library”
Map27 - “Where the Poison Ivies Grow Wild”
Map28 - “Breaking Point”
Map29 - “The Quiet Before the Storm”
Map30 - “Eternal Redemption”

BONUS CONTENT
Doom Wikia Entry
kmxexii's review of: Resurgence / Surge
Suitepee plays Resurgence: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Lingyan203's playthrough
----------
OLD THREADS
BF_THUD!
Community Chest 4
Jenesis
MAYhem 2012
Memento Mori
Interception
2002: A Doom Odyssey
Hadephobia
Coffee Break & Fava Beans & Double Impact
HYMN
Stardate 20X6 & Monochrome Mapping Project
Realm of Chaos
Back to Saturn X E1 & Favillesco E1
Kama Sutra
Unholy Realms & Zone 300
Vile Flesh
Ultimate Doom
Whitemare & Sacrament
Scythe
Epic 2
Whitemare 2
Sunder & Countdown to Extinction
Doom 2 the Way id Did
MAYhem2048
Stomper
Back to Saturn X E2
Going Down
Rylayeh & Crimson Canyon & Azagthoth
Serenity & Eternity & Infinity

Edited by dobu gabu maru

This should be a good opportunity for me to flesh out those existing wiki articles, and do the rest of them.

Eris Falling said:

This should be a good opportunity for me to flesh out those existing wiki articles, and do the rest of them.

hah, you tell me. I just got done doing DTWID walkthroughs and now I feel tempted to do some of the Resurgence ones there. But nah, I've started on Alien Vendetta walkthroughs instead first.

some random thoughts from my last playthrough of this will have to suffice for now:

MAP01 Awakening

I love where this begins, already in hell scenario with a buncha zombies and stuffs. feels alright except I keep falling onto ground floor a lot wasting some time.

Well as soon as I polish off Doom: The Golden Souls my attention will be fully on beating Resurgence for the Club this month. I wonder if it will be as tough as has been described and shown to me....

Playing in Zandronum, on UV, continuously and with saving.

Map01 - “Awakening”

Very nice opener, simple and impressive at the same time. Hellish setting is kinda unusual for MAP01, there's a custom palette, architecture looks good, and lighting, structure and flow of gameplay seem to be skillfully polished. Rocket launcher is already introduced, and there's some in leaping over holes and basic exploration factor involved, so it's in no way a generic corridor crawler. I liked the map.

There were 2 lava pools in this level, one was damaging and one not. I'm baffled. Might it be a bug that slipped through somehow, so early in the wad? Or is it an intended behaviour and a purposeful "hint" to the secret area nearby? I see, it has to be the latter, of course. :P

This gives me a good opportunity to play more Megawads, so I guess I'll jump in for this one.

I'm playing on PrBoom+ with vanilla gameplay, Ultra-Violence, and with continuous play. I may consider a few pistol start attempts whenever I get killed.

MAP01: Awakening

The textfile info for this one says "Easy", which it definitely wasn't, but somehow I made it in one try.

For those wondering, I've been playing doom for years but my level of skill is somehow stuck at the likes of No Rest For the Living/Evilution/Memento Mori. Hopefully this is the chance to remedy that.

Anyway, the visuals for this map are absolutely gorgeous, and I have to say I love that skybox. The music is also very immersive.

Gameplay-wise, it's quite a nice non-linear quickie, very much reminiscent of the Scythe series as Josh says. I'll admit I could have done with a Super Shotgun or a Chaingun to help me deal with those pesky mid-tier monsters. Also, that final exit run gave me a lot of trouble for some reason.

Overall: excellent. The second level looks even more hectic...

I'm already here with comments on the 2nd map:

Essentially very similar to MAP01, just more complex in structure, with fresh ideas (indoor instead of outdoor, run through damaging floors, intro of revenants), and a bit more hectic gameplay since the very start. But thanks to a generous supply of health pickups, it was still an easy ride, just like MAP01, and just as enjoyable (if not more). Though in fact, I've died there once, because I didn't handle a few revenant rockets coming at me. Good layout, atmosphere, playability and secrets - though I couldn't figure out how to get into the chaingun one. The yellow key room might have been a homage to the Scythe 2 room in MAP01, if so, it was a good one. Berserking things was fun. Again, I've enjoyed this map.

Only played a very early Beta and skipped a few maps back then so it seems to be a good oportunity to give this another spin.
Gonna play on UV, pistol starting all maps.

01: "Awakening"

Neat, the whole vice versa tour (starting with hell themed maps) is very refreshing.
Visuals are great and the custom palette does a pretty good job.
Difficulty-wise rather easy but it fits for an openener.

Anyone has a patch that turns all spectres into demons? It would be a great improvement for this wad's playability.

Memfis said:

Anyone has a patch that turns all spectres into demons? It would be a great improvement for this wad's playability.

Download. It's a modified Resurgence DEHACKED, so it's compatible with Resurgence only. Wasn't hard to do. I've only added the (Spectre) part.

Spoiler

Patch File for DeHackEd v3.0 # Created with WhackEd4 1.0.2 # Note: Use the pound sign ('#') to start comment lines. Doom version = 19 Patch format = 6 Thing 14 (Spectre) Bits = 4194310 Thing 24 (SS Nazi) Alert sound = 37 Hit points = 250 Bits = SOLID+SHOOTABLE+COUNTKILL+TRANSLATION+UNUSED1 Death sound = 60 Speed = 3 Pain chance = 30 Thing 25 (Commander Keen) Action sound = 77 Width = 1310720 Death sound = 67 Far attack frame = 790 Bits = SOLID+SHOOTABLE+NOGRAVITY+FLOAT+COUNTKILL Height = 4194304 Pain sound = 26 Initial frame = 766 Hit points = 1000 Injury frame = 763 First moving frame = 774 Alert sound = 43 Speed = 8 Mass = 400 Pain chance = 30 Frame 726 Sprite number = 28 Frame 727 Sprite number = 28 Frame 728 Duration = 1 Sprite number = 28 Frame 729 Duration = 1 Sprite number = 28 Frame 730 Duration = 1 Sprite number = 28 Frame 731 Duration = 1 Sprite number = 28 Frame 732 Duration = 1 Sprite number = 28 Frame 733 Duration = 1 Sprite number = 28 Frame 734 Duration = 1 Sprite number = 28 Frame 735 Duration = 1 Sprite number = 28 Frame 736 Duration = 2 Sprite number = 28 Frame 737 Duration = 1 Sprite number = 28 Sprite subnumber = 32773 Frame 738 Duration = 2 Sprite number = 28 Sprite subnumber = 4 Frame 739 Duration = 1 Sprite number = 28 Sprite subnumber = 32773 Frame 740 Duration = 2 Sprite number = 28 Sprite subnumber = 4 Frame 741 Next frame = 728 Sprite number = 28 Sprite subnumber = 32773 Frame 742 Sprite number = 28 Sprite subnumber = 6 Frame 743 Sprite number = 28 Sprite subnumber = 6 Frame 744 Duration = 10 Sprite number = 28 Sprite subnumber = 7 Frame 745 Duration = 10 Sprite number = 28 Sprite subnumber = 8 Frame 746 Duration = 10 Sprite number = 28 Sprite subnumber = 9 Frame 747 Duration = 10 Sprite number = 28 Sprite subnumber = 10 Frame 748 Sprite number = 28 Sprite subnumber = 13 Frame 749 Sprite number = 28 Sprite subnumber = 14 Frame 750 Sprite number = 28 Sprite subnumber = 15 Frame 751 Sprite number = 28 Sprite subnumber = 16 Frame 752 Sprite number = 28 Sprite subnumber = 17 Frame 753 Sprite number = 28 Sprite subnumber = 18 Frame 754 Sprite number = 28 Sprite subnumber = 19 Frame 755 Sprite number = 28 Sprite subnumber = 20 Frame 756 Sprite number = 28 Sprite subnumber = 21 Frame 757 Sprite number = 28 Sprite subnumber = 22 Frame 758 Sprite number = 28 Frame 759 Sprite number = 28 Sprite subnumber = 10 Frame 760 Sprite number = 28 Sprite subnumber = 9 Frame 761 Sprite number = 28 Sprite subnumber = 8 Frame 762 Sprite number = 28 Sprite subnumber = 7 Frame 763 Duration = 8 Sprite subnumber = 32775 Next frame = 786 Frame 764 Duration = 5 Sprite subnumber = 32776 Next frame = 787 Frame 765 Duration = 5 Sprite subnumber = 32778 Next frame = 788 Frame 766 Duration = 10 Sprite subnumber = 32768 Next frame = 766 Frame 767 Duration = 5 Sprite subnumber = 32780 Frame 768 Duration = 5 Sprite subnumber = 32781 Frame 769 Duration = 5 Sprite subnumber = 32782 Frame 770 Duration = 5 Sprite subnumber = 32783 Frame 771 Duration = 5 Sprite subnumber = 32784 Next frame = 789 Frame 772 Duration = 1 Sprite subnumber = 32785 Next frame = 0 Frame 773 Duration = 5 Sprite subnumber = 32772 Next frame = 790 Frame 774 Duration = 3 Sprite subnumber = 32768 Next frame = 777 Frame 775 Sprite subnumber = 32779 Frame 776 Sprite subnumber = 32780 Frame 777 Duration = 3 Sprite subnumber = 32769 Next frame = 784 Frame 780 Duration = 7 Frame 781 Duration = 7 Frame 782 Duration = 7 Frame 784 Duration = 3 Next frame = 785 Sprite number = 52 Sprite subnumber = 32770 Frame 785 Duration = 3 Next frame = 774 Sprite number = 52 Sprite subnumber = 32771 Frame 786 Duration = 3 Next frame = 774 Sprite number = 52 Sprite subnumber = 32768 Frame 787 Duration = 5 Next frame = 765 Sprite number = 52 Sprite subnumber = 32777 Frame 788 Duration = 5 Next frame = 767 Sprite number = 52 Sprite subnumber = 32779 Frame 789 Duration = 5 Next frame = 772 Sprite number = 52 Sprite subnumber = 32785 Frame 790 Duration = 6 Next frame = 791 Sprite number = 52 Sprite subnumber = 32772 Frame 791 Duration = 6 Sprite number = 52 Sprite subnumber = 32773 Frame 792 Duration = 1 Sprite number = 52 Sprite subnumber = 32774 Frame 793 Duration = 1 Sprite number = 52 Sprite subnumber = 32774 Frame 794 Duration = 1 Sprite number = 52 Sprite subnumber = 32774 Frame 795 Duration = 1 Sprite number = 52 Sprite subnumber = 32774 Frame 796 Duration = 1 Sprite number = 52 Sprite subnumber = 32774 Frame 797 Duration = 1 Sprite number = 52 Frame 798 Duration = 8 Next frame = 774 Sprite number = 52 Sprite subnumber = 32774 [CODEPTR] FRAME 774 = Chase FRAME 777 = Chase FRAME 784 = Chase FRAME 785 = Chase FRAME 786 = Pain FRAME 787 = Scream FRAME 788 = Fall FRAME 789 = BossDeath FRAME 790 = FaceTarget FRAME 791 = FaceTarget FRAME 792 = FatAttack1 FRAME 793 = FatAttack2 FRAME 794 = FatAttack3 FRAME 795 = FaceTarget FRAME 796 = SkelMissile FRAME 797 = SkelMissile FRAME 798 = SkelMissile FRAME 737 = BspiAttack FRAME 738 = FaceTarget FRAME 739 = BspiAttack FRAME 740 = FaceTarget FRAME 741 = BspiAttack FRAME 766 = Look [STRINGS] C4TEXT = You've done it again.\nIt's never as fun the second time\naround. Hopefully you've learnt not to\nmake any assumptions again, and\nnever to assume hell's kicked\nrear has been gone for good.\n\nAll goes quiet. You sincerely\nhope your awakening was worth it.\nYou drift off to eternal boredom,\nwaiting and waiting and waiting\nuntil Hell finds a way of getting\nback at you for the continuous\narse kicking. They really don't\nknow the meaning of 'get over it'.\n\nHopefully, fun was had with\nthe megawad :-) HUSTR_18 = level 18: Excavation Project HUSTR_19 = level 19: Quadrilateral Rampage HUSTR_16 = level 16: Close Quarters HUSTR_17 = level 17: Underground Barrage HUSTR_14 = level 14: Hyper-Spelunking HUSTR_15 = level 15: Nukage Bay HUSTR_12 = level 12: Homecoming HUSTR_13 = level 13: Assault HUSTR_10 = level 10: The Courtyard HUSTR_11 = level 11: Twi-lite Massacre HUSTR_4 = level 4: A Fistful of Imps HUSTR_5 = level 5: Sinister HUSTR_6 = level 6: Fortress HUSTR_7 = level 7: Gauntlet C6TEXT = Congratulations, you've reached the\nsecond secret level! What do you get\nif you cross Go2It, Go4It, Pharaoh,\nNo Guts no Glory and- oh, forget it, here's\nan awesome level made by guest mapper\nDarkwave0000 with his own personal take on\nthe Poison Ivy theme. Surely it would be a\nwaste of time to suggest that:\n\n'no-one gets out alive'?\n HUSTR_1 = level 1: Awakening HUSTR_2 = level 2: Hell's Lamentation HUSTR_3 = level 3: Cave of the Lost Souls HUSTR_8 = level 8: Obsidian Hotbed HUSTR_9 = level 9: Scorching Savanna C1TEXT = After ploughing through some\ncrap, you're still struggling to wake\nup from your lengthy slumber. Thankfully\nHell is going through the same thing\nand isn't throwing their masses at\nyou just yet.\n\nSuddenly, the dark surroundings brightens up..\nHopefully this means the forthcoming\nbattles will still be deadly simple... C5TEXT = Congratulations, You've reached the\nfirst secret level! This doesn't look like\na level Joshy's made. I hope he hasn't\nplagiarised anyone... C3TEXT = Well, isn't that just typical?\nYou got yourself caught in a\ntime spirally vortex thingy. No\nthanks to relativity, the world\nhas somehow shifted a few hundred\nyears into the future.\n\nThis has allowed the scums of hell\nto colonise the moonbase, and\ninfiltrate the moonbase's technology\nand research projects in order to\nadvance their own armies. It appears\nthere are two new enemies waiting\nfor you: Nasty armoured but slow plasma\nzombies, and plasma-powered barons.\n\nThis should be fun. C2TEXT = What the hell, hell? Thousand\nsomething enemies on Map11? At least\nthat didn't stop you.\n\nAfter teleporting onto a barrel and\nblowing into pieces, you wake up to\na very familiar place. The difference\nis that the deadly green clouds have\nthinned, rendering the starry skies\nvisible. Yes, you are back home on the\nmoonbase of Titan!\n\nHopefully there'll be some fun\n'welcome home' parties... HUSTR_29 = level 29: The Quiet Before the Storm HUSTR_28 = level 28: Breaking Point HUSTR_23 = level 23: Claret Tides HUSTR_22 = level 22: Mt. Katoomba HUSTR_21 = level 21: Ravages of Time HUSTR_20 = level 20: Waves of Darkness HUSTR_27 = level 27: Where the Poison Ivies Grow Wild HUSTR_26 = level 26: The Library HUSTR_25 = level 25: Technoprison II HUSTR_24 = level 24: Nuclear Winter HUSTR_30 = level 30: Eternal Redemption HUSTR_31 = level 31: Festering Wicked Helix Sectors HUSTR_32 = level 32: Poison Oak

Map03: Cave of the Lost Souls

The map with the jumping circular-like ledges looks quite similar to Vulcana, but the pain elemental(s) at the chasm area are such a nuisance. The end was quite kinda tricky with that arch-vile near the switch, but it was also possible to take him out at the area with the switch that raises the first platform in the lava chasm. Nonetheless, the map is not too bad. I'm looking forward to playing it again when I do my video playthrough of it on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/lingyan203

Most of the difficulty here came from the need to use the berserk fist on a lot of the monsters. I skipped a lot of monsters to avoid any unnecessary deaths whilst the use of the shotgun was a little tedious. Not my cup of tea this one, but it looks nice and many others will like the gameplay here.

MAP02 Hell's Lamentation

again, mostly okay. took me awhile to figure out where to go after clearing out the initial rows of monsters. some platforming section is here, and I was in constant paranoia of a surprise ambush at whatever moment which thankfully didn't happen until I got the key. the YK fight was great so the level is good then.

scifista your spoiler doesn't seem to be working.

Getsu Fune said:

scifista your spoiler doesn't seem to be working.

Strange, in my outdated Internet Explorer 9 it works, but not in Opera (and I don't have other browsers to try out). There's a very large block of DEHACKED code inside, and it extends the page width considerably (you'd have to scroll right), which might cause the spoiler malfunction. But the only important part is this:

Thing 14 (Spectre)
Bits = 4194310
which can be written in Resurgence DEHACKED just like I did.

02: “Hell's Lamentation”

Cool to get a berserk right at the start, it was fun to rampage through all the low tiers standing in the way.
Lot's of snipers and stuff so constant movement is esential.
Difficulty still on the easy side, nice visuals simular to the previous one, I like it.

Cool, I played this a while ago but haven't tried pistol starts yet, should be interesting..

Map01 - “Awakening”

Nice opener, short and simple. Has a little bit of everything. Killed once by the invisible spectres.

Another nice little interwoven map. Came pretty close to dying a few times, but managed to scrape through. I will of course be saving like crazy in these maps, I seem to remember things get fairly tough soon.

MAP02 : Hell's Lamentation

It's mostly the same idea as the first level (run and gun all over the place until you've cleared enough opposition to establish a safe zone), complete with even more fighting Revenants with the Berserk/Shotgun. And it's about as short, too. Note the return of the "suddenly monsters" trick used in Speed of Doom (yes, I played it a little). Also, this map is ripe with opportunities for enemy infighting.

The blue key trap was neat, although even after figuring out the escape route I fell off anyway. It all worked out though. The yellow key trap on the other hand was underwhelming. I never did figure out how to unlock the way to that armor.

Anyway, I think this was a fairly enjoyable second level, though it does mark my first use of the dirty save-and-reload trick (already ? Jeez!). I can't say I'm liking the title of that next one though...

UV, pistolero, save-scummin', clunky keyboard playin'. Haven't played this before, and I'm really looking forward to it. Just a warning--if you're planning on doing the secret maps, they seem quite... large, so reserve yourself plenty of time on the 15th (or play them before/after).

MAP01: Gee wiz that color palette looks great. Once the BtSX texture pack is released I'm really gonna have to fiddle around with it for a small project or something. Anyway, this is pretty much as sweet as a MAP01 can get, feeling constantly threatening but still being a relative walk in the park. I don't like the specter use so much against the reds & blacks, but it wasn't too bad in this map.

MAP02: Really liked this one. Good battles, flexible layout, and a final fight that at least keeps you on edge. So far it's feeling like a mapset I'd like to play without saves on something like HMP. Brilliant stuff.

Furthest I ever made it with DWMC write-ups was day 9 on Whitemare 2.
HNTR, pistol starts, ZDoom 2.7.1

MAP01: Awakening
| Kills: 66/66 | Items: 74/75 | Secrets: 2/2 | Time: 03:20 | Eris alive! |

I remember shortly after Resurgence was released, I tried beating Nevan's UV max time of 1:57, which went about as well as you can expect for someone who plays on HNTR, and is significantly worse when playing in PrBoom+.
Back in more familiar settings, the map is rather easy, as you'd hope for a first map, though I'm aware that it bears sharper fangs on UV. The berserk pack allows the player to take down the demons and spectres without wasting time using the shotgun, and the rocket launcher allows for some nice multi-kills at the points where monsters teleport in to the central area. Bonus marks for 2 rocket launchers, allowing people to experiment more with a route.

The map takes place in a small hellish cavern, setting the scene for the following levels well.
Jimmy's "Tower of Fire" fits the map nicely, and it's cool to see the stuff from that project being used.

8/10

MAP02: Hell's Lamentation
| Kills: 98/98 | Items: 35/62 | Secrets: 0/3 | Time: 06:40 | Eris alive! |

Went running around the map trying to find a yellow switch, only to find out those bars are D1s. >:@

Continuing further into the hell cave, once again, we're given a berserk pack, only this time, it's right there from the start. Making the shotgun the first port of call allows you to switch between the fist and the shotgun, the latter of which is useful for taking down the various zombies featured throughout the map.
The difficulty of this map peaks in the yellow skull area, where I was unfortunate enough to catch a revenant missile. I awaited the dreaded catchy jingle, before remembering I haven't yet made that for single-player use, but I managed to stay alive.

Slightly annoyed that I somehow got lost twice in this map, I'm not sure if it should have been obvious that those bars needed the yellow key - it wasn't to me, personally. The other occasion was simply down to me not looking around enough. Otherwise, nice map, keeping on par with MAP01.

8/10

Post-play edit: It would appear that the glowing effect on sector 117 is impossible to discern, so there is no visual clue for the chaingun/armour secret.

Resurgence

I haven't had a proper run at the DWMC for too long now, either because the WAD in question is not finished or not up my alley for one reason or another. Well, no such excuses for the seemingly universally acclaimed and /idgames Resurgence... so here we go!

I'm expecting a real tough nut due to Josh Seal's reputation for brutality so I'm going to start in HMP. Playing continuous in PRBoom-plus.

It's nice to see work going into the presentation, giving resurgence and identity of it's own right off the bat. I'm liking the M_DOOM replacement graphic and the HUD is pretty cool but I'm not so fond of the TITLEPIC. Music sounds promising from the into but with Stewboy, Jimmy and PRIMVEL being heavily involved the WAD should be in good hands audio-wise.

MAP01 - Awakening

Joshy wastes no time getting stuck in! Although the heavy dudes are not out yet there are ambushes from all angles as soon as you get out of the first room and I'm immediately wondering whether the difficulty progression in this WAD is shallow or, if not, how soon it will be before I lower the difficulty.

However, after a couple of false starts I find a couple of safe spots that can be (re)used to my advantage when I'm under pressure and after this the whole thing is done without too much fuss.

Thematically, we start in Hell with plenty of red rock and streams of blood with occasional pools of lava. It certainly looks the part and atmosphere is spot on. Layout consists of a sunken central area surrounded by platforms populated by sniping imps and former humans. However, the mapflow requires the player to criss-cross the layout makes progress a little more complex than that seems.

MAP02 - Hell's Lamentation

A very similar looking level to the first and similar in style as well, only extending on the theme. This time you're under fire from the very start, which I know annoys some players but doesn't bother me if it's reasonably implemented. The layout here is quite open, which allows for multiple paths to be chosen. This initially caused me the misconception that I will quickly become surrounding with the only option to mitigate being to keep on the move. However, I found that some routes are much more vicious than others and by awakening the arachnatron last you can clear a lot of the level section by section.

One thing that has surprised me so far is the tight ammo balance and almost entirely absent armour. I was expecting a more Plutonia-style bounty of resources considering the influences cited in the text file. It probably wouldn't feel so tight if I made greater use of the bezerks and found some secrets. Come to think of it, I haven't yet found one secret. There's something about well detailed maps that make it difficult for me to spot the clues.

EDIT: Eris, I was also briefly confused by the yellow bars blocking the exit teleporter. I thought they were ugly as well - what's wrong with skull bars. I also remember being surprised to leave the level when stepping on it but I'm not sure whether there was an exit sign that I just missed.

MAP02: Hell's Lamentation
100% kills, 3/3 secrets

Another short and sweet REDROCK-themed level. So far, seems that open hallways are the design note de jour, with a few monsters in front of the player but most of the threat coming from zombie and imp snipers higher up outside windows. There's a nice mix between the shotgun and berserk pack here - no need to Tyson it, but I definitely appreciated having the berserk to use on the revenants instead of trying to whittle them down with the popgun shotgun.

This level does contain a few of my pet peeves, though - unmarked exit being one of them (it even has a red, not a white, teleporter) and the insta-pop enemies in the southeast corner as well. Unfortunately for me, from what I can remember, insta-pop enemies are a recurring event in this WAD. I realize they don't bug a lot of people so I won't try to harp on them too often.

Still a nice starter map, though.

Feels like a breather map, all monsters can be outmaneuvered and killed relatively easy, but you mustn't advance too fast and headlessly. Very nice looking environment. The platforming was actually fun and comfortable, as well as the rest of the map, of course. Good mild intro for the Archvile and Pain Elemental. I've found only 1 secret out of 3. This megawad seems to be great so far, and I get an impression that all of this is just a warm up.

The map is pretty much based on the Vulcana-espque area where to hop down platforms in a large cavern to get all three keys. The set piece here was quite hectic but fun. The first descent was a little troublesome though for me, the mancubi were being unusually aggressive. Overall a decent map with some nice visuals.

MAP03: Cave of the Lost Souls
| Kills: 92/92 | Items: 1/1 | Secrets: 3/3 | Time: 08:21 | GJ ERIS: 1 |

Ah fuck, it happened. GJ ERIS!
With a name like Cave of the Lost Souls, you'd expect this map to have an abundance of the little buggers. With just four on HNTR, and even fewer on higher skill levels, this is hardly the case. A more appropriate title for the map would be "Cave with a lot of monsters which just happen to include a couple of lost souls here and there," though of course this isn't as catchy.
Gameplay wise, I can hardly complain about this, as I am not a fan of lost souls.

This is another small level, though this doesn't necessarily mean it'll be over quickly. Visually speaking, it's the best map so far, and even if it were not stated as so in the textfile, the inspiration from pcorf's Vulcana maps is very obvious in the eponymous lava cave in the north of the map.
Music choice is also rather good, Blood's "Infuscomous" fitting quite nicely. It's possible that's a rather overused MIDI, as I've heard it a couple of times before in Doom maps, but that's not enough to say for sure.

I didn't enjoy this map as much as the previous two though. I spent a good portion of time on this map falling off the rock columns and running through the lava to find the teleporters back out again. The mancubi were particularly lethal, and I found myself wondering if the buggy clipping was actually fixed by ZDoom. Not sure some of those fireballs should have continued after reaching the columns..

I also don't think this really needed all three keys to exit the map either. I get that this gives some of the teleporting monsters some purpose, but alternatively, they could just not be there. If anything they actually made the map easier by doing some long-range infighting with a revenant. To me it just felt like this was a three-key map just for the sake of having three-keys when just the red skull would have sufficed.

That said, there is a huge amount of satisfaction to be gained from hitting a chaingunner with the rocket launcher, then watching him fly off the edge of a high cliff into a pit far below, so those extra monsters weren't entirely wasted :D

7/10

MAP03 Cave of Lost Souls

lets see, a three key exit, some good weapon grabs, the red cliffs of Vulcana, and some annoying mancubi there. plus an ultimative backtrack. I think this level is great! although I do wondered where the fuck the lost souls were, as the only ones I remembered came from the pain elemental in this one.

hey Eris, I see you are doing the walkthroughs on the wiki. :)

Getsu Fune said:

MAP03 Cave of Lost Souls

I do wondered where the fuck the lost souls were, as the only ones I remembered came from the pain elemental in this one.

On UV and HMP, there were a few of them in a pit near the start, too. On HNTR, 4 lost souls will appear in the big "cave" instead of the PE.

03: "Cave of Lost Souls"

Surprisingly the map only houses a few of those flying pests. Once again neat to get a Berserk right at the start, helps saving some ammo for later encounters.
Splendid visuals, i really like the look of the crumbled building here. The plattforming sure is a bit tricky while being under heavy fire, nonetheless i really enjoyed that part.
Great map.

MAP03:Cave of the Lost Souls

Well, thankfully, it didn't have that many Lost Souls after all.

Anyway, when I first started this one, I felt like it was a refreshing change of pace, with a slow beginning, less traps... really, I should have known better. Well it did have less traps, but it sure as hell picked up. I don't know if I'm going to feel at home on Ultra-Violence much longer.

And I honestly didn't expect Resurgence to involve this much platforming. I'm sure many people will be annoyed by this, but I find it interesting, at least so far.

All in all, this one was also very fun.