Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

How many Doom protagonists do we have?

How many Doom protagonists with status bar faces do we have already? I know of Doomguy, that Freedoom hero who looks like John Grimm, the female protagonist from femdoom.zip and Xaser's female face who looks like she got based on the femdoom.zip graphics. Anyone else featured?

Alot.

Tons of wads have some random marine as their protagonist who is arguably and in some cases obviously not the same guy that is in the stock games. In fact, as I recall, it is hinted that the marine in Final Doom is a completely different guy than the one from Doom and Doom 2. Correct me if I'm wrong. But anyway this seems like an unanswerable question.

The fact he didn't have a name in the game made YOU the Doom marine. This wasn't just a struggle, it was YOUR struggle!

So really we are all a protagonist in a way~!

Some mods explicitly give a name to Our Hero. Daedalus and Icarus feature the exciting adventures of Dave Razor! In Mordeth you're Norman Ash. And in Legacy of Suffering, you're John Logan, making you the sixth Doom John, after Carmack, Romero, Grimm, Kane, and Stalvern.

The 32in24 series have their own mug face as well.

I've also seen HUD graphics of an Imp and Mario (since this seems to be about HUD faces) and of course we can't forget the Chex Warrior!

Gez said:

Some mods explicitly give a name to Our hero (...) In Mordeth you're Norman Ash.

Uh no. The alternative skill setting name was a nod to a then favorite cartoon "Mighty Max".

This is making me want to start a thread on which status bar face is the best. You've got Wolfenstein, Doom, Quake, Quake 2...

I like making semi-established characters for my mods. Sometimes serious (Agent Olivia Diaz, a "peacekeeper" for the Research Crimes Prevention Agency), sometimes a little overdone (Ransom "the Stranger"), but most frequently just me goofing around to see who actually reads my text files ("Some Guy with a Revolver," and his descendant, "John SomeGuyWithAPistol" who I literally only gave a name so I could have Mister Falcon yell "NO, John! YOU are the terrorists!").