Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DooMBoy

DoomGL Bitch Session

Um, whenever I load it up, it gets to the Main screen and when I choose my skill level and then Enter, the game crashes back to Desktop. What do I do?

Get a better video card / update your drivers.

RTFM.

Barring that just don't use it. It sucks compared to EDGEGL, LegacyGL, Jdoom, and Vavoom anyway.

Barring that just don't use it. It sucks compared to EDGEGL, LegacyGL, Jdoom, and Vavoom anyway.

Hmm, EdgeGL sucks, I use software EDGE mainly. The others are probably better than DoomGL in the stability department, but DoomGL is better looking than those if you can get it to work...

SlayeR said:

The others are probably better than DoomGL in the stability department, but DoomGL is better looking than those if you can get it to work...

I have to disagree! JDoom is probably the best looking GL port, with Vavoom coming next. I wonder that somebody still tries to use DoomGL.

IMO JDoom is kinda ugly and slow now (especially the new models for it, ugh), although Vavoom is really cool with its nice quake style dynamic lighting and all, just it doesnt look as good overall as Z/DoomGL...

*takes deep breath*
JDoom is a very pretty port, probably the best looking of them all, Vavoom is kinda ugly IMO (especially in software), but it looks a little better with the MD2s, GLEDGE is ok if you like slow source ports with good graphics, LegacyGL looks great and all, but what with textures missing on the walls/floors/ceilings, and holes here and there, it's a bit of a pain to the eyes, ZDoomGL looks really nice, that is, if you can get it to work.
*GASP!*

I have to agree with that, jDoom is best, EDGE and Legacy are nice, ZDoomGL is good, and Vavoom is ugly and slow.

"jdoom looks good" LOL.... it draws stupid circles around all lightsources.... which looks like shite...

schepe said:

"jdoom looks good" LOL.... it draws stupid circles around all lightsources.... which looks like shite...

You ignorant dumbass, those are called lens flares.
/me sighs

lensflares.... roflmao... that's even more retarded.... a) they don't even look like lensflares. b) the doom space marine have human eyes, he do not run around looking through a camcorder, having lensflares in a doomport is therefore retarded.

Actually, the marine in Doom IS technically looking through a lens, in the sense that he's wearing a space helmet with a transparent front.
Therefore it's actually quite believable that he would see halos around light sources.

Lobo said:

Actually, the marine in Doom IS technically looking through a lens, in the sense that he's wearing a space helmet with a transparent front.
Therefore it's actually quite believable that he would see halos around light sources.

I highly doubt it. I mean, lens flare usually only happens through a camera (I think) and not through placing a lens (which his helmet would not be as not to distort his vision) in front of the doomguy's face. I mean yeah sure it technically is a lens, but you know what I mean. And if not, too bad.

jDoom Rules
EDGEGL is ok
Vavoom is ok
LegacyGL is ok

Don't know about DoomGL or ZDoomGL cause I can't get them to download...an australia magazine had some source ports on a cd, might fish it out and get DoomGL offa there.