Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gothic

Best use of stock textures in mods

A lot of people (including myself) often tend to add new textures on their maps for various reasons, but sometimes there is people who takes the best of the main resources to make beautiful maps (No Rest for the Living comes to my mind), here we discuss about these mapsets. Not necessarily Doom only, Heretic, Hexen and Strife also qualify.

I like to see the stock textures being used in interesting and inventive ways. Work of a few mappers immediately comes to my mind:

-Mouldy -> Going Down, D2INO maps, and more

-Tobias Münch -> Hatomo Battles the Yomi Demons, and more Doom stuff on his website

-Cannonball -> ConC.E.R.N.ed, Thy Flesh Turned into a Draft Excluder, D2INO maps and more

-A Doomworld newcomer Urthar has recently released an impressive mapset made of stock textures only

I just played 99 ways to die and it was another great example of this, although it was only brown (possibly to ressemble Quake) and you can skip 60% of the 1st map (Is that also a Quake thing?)

Memfis said:

Vela Pax was quite impressive in this aspect.

I love the shit out of the aesthetics in Vela Pax maps. Just wish it'd see a full release already.

Hellbound does some amazing stuff with the stock doom 2 textures, though it also uses some stuff from doom 1 and tnt. It also uses a lot of lighting variation which helps extend the life of the textures I think. Its fairly highly detailed as well, but lighting and textures can often go a lot further than ornamental sector detailing to make a map look good.

Suitepee said:

Going Down.

Should be viewed as "vanilla mapping 101" for future maps in my opinion.

The more conservative members of our community may disagree with a Boom levelset being used as the reference for vanilla mapping. ;)

Best use of stock textures in mods

Cell said:
any 2x2 maps that don't look like shit.

Haha, that specification can apply for every kind of maps!