Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tormentor667

The greatest DOOM E1 map ever?

Just something that I'd like to know: What was and still is the greatest Episode 1 map ever for you in terms of gameplay and memorable visuals or surprises? Doom tastes are different, I know but I'd really like to know what you did like most on your favorite map and if there have been special reasons why you still love it.

Sorry for crossposting this, but having one poll at one place might make things easer :) Would be cool if people can participate here as well:
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=47290

Tough pick. I like all of E1. When choosing just one, I find it hard to decide between E1M3, E1M6 and E1M7. Very hard. They're all awesome for their gameplay, exploration factor and nice looking environment. As for their weaknesses (I only consider them because I'm trying to pick one map for the poll): E1M3 is actually very simple with its one mandatory path. E1M6 has a 3-key progression and a final battle, a setup that became really generic and overused since. E1M7 is complex, but overally dark, and I prefer the brightness of the former two maps. I eventually voted for E1M3 anyway, for its very iconic secrets and non-secret areas - the map consists entirely of landmarks, can be said.

I might be blinkered on this but I can't look past E1M5. This goes back to when I first played the game and, having gotten over the 3D space, was blown away for a second time to see a huge catwalk rise from the nukage. It also has the infamous strobe room at the end.

I'd say either Toxin Refinery or Phobos Lab, because nostalgia. I really can't properly judge original levels anymore.

My favorite map is E1M3, I was amazed when I first discovered the hallway to the secret exit, also it was the 1st time I saw a supercharge (before discovering the one from E1M2). E1M7 is a very close candidate too, the map was big, creepy and fun.

And yes, copypaste from zdoom.org because post count :P

I replayed E1 just for this thread, and my opinion remains unchanged: E1M2. I always loved it, but doing an homage to it for a community project really made me appreciate all the nice, unecessary little touches.

E1M1 to E1M3, E1M5, and E1M8. I like them about the same, but E1M3 may be my favorite out of all of them. It goes downhill with E1M4 in my opinion, secret level included.

E1M5, E1M6, E1M7.. don't know which one exactly. The secret level is pretty fun too.

E1M5 because of one of the lift/nukage rooms from one of my stronger childhood memories.

E1M9, I don't know why but when I first played that map it stuck with me forever (Also firing E1M3's rocket launcher into the first imp box never gets old).

Doominator2 said:

E1M3, after seeing the chainsaw through the window, I would spend hours trying to find it, very fun times.

Is there even a chainsaw on E1M3? I'm assuming you're thinking of E1M2.

E1M9. Maybe because I had a lot of trouble finding a way to get to that map. When I finally DID get to it, it was all the more satisfying.

I think it has to be E1M7 to me. E1M6 comes to a close second because of how open it is too

I'm gonna go with E1M3. Lots of cool secrets, powerups, multiple endings, good music and great tech base design. One of the series' most memorable and important levels in my opinion.

A tough call, as every E1 map is memorable to me ( yeah, even E1M9 ).
If a gun was applied to my temple, I'd vote for E1M5 though. Great layout, eerie music and atmosphere, cool action and traps, overall a perfect classic.
E1M7 would be a close candidate.