Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
purist

Best map in 2014

The year is over and we have had our Cacowards to celebrate the best PWADs of the year but what about individual maps?

By this I mean both single maps and maps within episodes or megawads. So what are your favourites? I didn't play a lot last year but I'm interested to know whether there is any sort of consensus with this.

ZDCMP2
Resurgence MAP31

edit: I generally go by final release date when categorising things by year. The cacoward went to a release candidate, not the final version, which was released in May 2014.
As such, ZDCMP2 is under Category:2014 WADs on the wiki.

Also my only problem with ZDCMP2 was the consistently bad framerate, which is down to my own laptop which I swear is fucking coal powered. The map itself was, in my opinion, nothing short of spectacular.

Eris Falling said:

ZDCMP2

It won a Cacoward in 2013 already.

In addition - but that's just my personal opinion - the most complex map with most work put into it is not necessarily the best map, and ZDCMP, while looking excellent, had its hard flaws.

Memfis said:

I dunno, is there a list? I have terrible memory, I need a list to pick from.

The 2014 Cacoward nomination thread would be a good places to start.

I've got 5: Shadow Port & Beneath A Festering Moon from BTSX E2 and the Map 15, 31 & 32 trilogy from Going Down.

You Dig is a great concept level and Tuxlar needs to come back. Minimalist mapping was a failure from the get-go but for every good idea there's a bad one. Personally, I'd like to see what other good ideas he can come up with.

Which was the map where the textures were all coloured squares, and if you stood in a particular colour (yellow?), the monsters didn't attack you. You had to use the safe sectors to negotiate the map without other weapons or equipment. That was the most fun I've had in a map in ages. Was it in the first 32 hours d'agonie?