Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

NOVA II - Ver. 1.2 on /idgames (now with no missing keycards!)

tourniquet said:

Howdy, i know it doesn't make much sense to post the Map32 hub without the other 5 submissions but i'd like to get some opinions regarding the final fight, it's pretty much mindless slaughter.
Accordingly i left the door leading to the finale open, all other portals just lead back to the start.

Hubhubhub --> Requires the recent Nova2 beta as resource to work properly.

Wow man, that looks amazing. Truly a work of art. Floor is bumpy as hell, but otherwise it plays fine. I'll be interested to try it on my old laptop later and see how it copes with all that detail.

Really cool visuals

Tylerisepic1 said:

I see why cityromp needs some work. Visplane overflow galore.

This is a limit removing project, so VPOs shouldn't be a problem

Cheers mouldy, yeah bumpyness is probably a major flaw in here. Guess i'll rework the floor around the tower to make it less awkward to maneuver.
Hope this thing won't break your old lappy :p

tourniquet said:

yeah bumpyness is probably a major flaw in here. Guess i'll rework the floor around the tower to make it less awkward to maneuver.

Well, it doesn't bother me too much, i only mention it because it can be an issue for some people. See if anyone else says anything maybe.

God damn you're a monster tourniquet—the map is both crazy and elegant. IMO you don't need to fix any bumpiness as the hub has no fighting and the finale isn't all that bumpy really. If you still wanted to do something, maybe you could just throw in some floor transfers like with MAP29. Only bug I caught is that I couldn't climb these steps as the second step was too high (I had to clip up there).

Not entirely sure about how I feel on the fight. Like you said, it is a bit of mindless slaughter, not really requiring too much work other than zipping up a radsuit and running laps around the place. It'll play differently when I'm not coming fully stocked, but I think you should pull one of the radsuits that's down in the damaging sector, as trying to get it from one of the platforms will make the start more interesting. And perhaps in the final wave of enemies, you may need to trickle them in a little more slowly, just to ensure that the player doesn't rope them up in the center too fast. Great stuff otherwise—real glad to see MAP32 shaping up to be a menace.

dobu gabu maru said:

transfers like with MAP29. Only bug I caught is that I couldn't climb these steps as the second step was too high (I had to clip up there).

Hm. did you activate all 4 "Eye" switches? each one raises 2 steps and you'll need to press them all in order to get a complete staircase.
In case you did it, this might be some sort of bug, i'll check it out.

Also sure, i'll try to add some more challenge to the fights, it's always tricky to judge the difficulty with preknowledge. Personally i thought it might be a bit too easy that's why i wanted to hear some opinions, thanks for the feedback.

tourniquet said:

Hm. did you activate all 4 "Eye" switches?

I just tested this and apparently I didn't the first time. Oops!!

EDIT: I'll use this post to mention that as soon as MAP32 is wrapped up, I'll probably be sending PMs to everyone that has a map slotted to see what progress has been made. When we have about 3 maps left to go I'll attach a deadline for the proper beta of this thing.

Been working on difficulty setting on my map, made it slightly harder after seeing my map will probably be in E2. Also I made some cosmetic changes to the map, minor things the I didn't like in the previous version and a better skybox which is a bit more realistic and added one more ceiling texture for the marble walls. Anyways if anyone encounter bugs or anything in my map, please let me know.

Link :

http://www.mediafire.com/download/j518e858qb68t26/Red+Morning+Light.wad

dobu gabu maru said:

I just tested this and apparently I didn't the first time. Oops!!

EDIT: I'll use this post to mention that as soon as MAP32 is wrapped up, I'll probably be sending PMs to everyone that has a map slotted to see what progress has been made. When we have about 3 maps left to go I'll attach a deadline for the proper beta of this thing.

So, progress report on my part of MAP32: I got a layout going, and then it continued going to the point that it required keys and started feeling like it should be a standalone map. I'll rework it, see if I can make it as an early E3 map or something (I know there's no early E3 slots available but maybe things can get shuffled around a bit) and start a more manageable MAP32 portion. I have two weeks off to map, so it should get done fairly quickly.

EDIT: MAAAAAAAAYBE I can rework this thing to use no keys. I'll see what I can do.

^Well as long as none of the other parts requires keys too, it shouldn't be much of a problem . Btw i hope it's ok for the other 5 mappers that i allready reserved Commander Keens for my part. However, if anyone else has plans to use them someway i could still try to rework some things, i just need to know that in time.

tourniquet said:

Btw i hope it's ok for the other 5 mappers that i allready reserved Commander Keens for my part.

...I would recommend against that, I kind of had to use the Keen frames for the final boss and I ended up voiding the Commander Keen entirely. You could always use the Hierophant's first form(the blocking Hanging leg if you don't know which Thing), but that's about it as far as options go.

Ok, say I use just the yellow key in my portion. Would that be alright?

Obsidian said:

I kind of had to use the Keen frames for the final boss and I ended up voiding the Commander Keen entirely.

Oh thanks for the info, in that case i'll need to rework Map29 and 32 since both contain a door sequence relying on Keen's.

AD79 said:

Ok, say I use just the yellow key in my portion. Would that be alright?

I guess it's ok, Jaxxoon, Dave and Noisy's parts don't use any keys so you can basicly share all 3 with Pinchy in case he might want to use some too.

I finally came up with something of an idea today, I've started building it now and will see how it works out.

I finally almost have a level complete, and should submit it within the next few days.

It's an interesting one titled "Hated Attic".

dobu gabu maru said:

Looks nice. I assume you're finally breaking the 50 monster limit for once, eh?

Well my other Nova II map has 51 ;)

But yeah, this one should definitely have more to it than the average AD map.

Ok, initial version of my MAP32 part is here.

This is about as slaughtery as I get, by the way. It might be a little easy, I dunno.

Teleport lines marked with tag 120 are the exit to return to the MAP32 hub.

AD_79 said:

This is about as slaughtery as I get, by the way. It might be a little easy, I dunno.

Teleport lines marked with tag 120 are the exit to return to the MAP32 hub.

That delayed Revenant ambush and the Cyber teleporting in was a dirty trick. Good show.

There's only one hitch. I played the map once and when I reached the end I noticed I missed some monsters. I realized when I looked at it in the editor that their teleporting in was tied to jumping down off that platform.

Your thought was probably when the Cyberdemon teleports in the player would panic and jump off. But if they were to go back into the room they were in instead the teleports wouldn't trigger and Cyberdemon could be coaxed into mopping up the Cacodemons.

Also the second Cyberdemon that appears before the exit seemed trivial and out of place.

Other than that everything else is great. I really like the look of everything. It's detailed but not so much that it feels forced. Also lots of nice angles.

U.O.D. said:

There's only one hitch. I played the map once and when I reached the end I noticed I missed some monsters. I realized when I looked at it in the editor that their teleporting in was tied to jumping down off that platform.

Your thought was probably when the Cyberdemon teleports in the player would panic and jump off. But if they were to go back into the room they were in instead the teleports wouldn't trigger and Cyberdemon could be coaxed into mopping up the Cacodemons.

Heh, I'm surprised I didn't think about that, I'll change the triggers around a bit so the enemies actually spawn in.

EDIT: alright, changed a couple things, hopefully it's an improvement

AD_79 said:

Nice, great hectic opening and fun layout to run around in. The bit where the yellow key is, I managed to knock one of the chaingunners off the ledge into an area you cant get him. Dunno if thats just a rare/zdoom thing, or how important it is. Anyway, good stuff

mouldy said:

The bit where the yellow key is, I managed to knock one of the chaingunners off the ledge into an area you cant get him. Dunno if thats just a rare/zdoom thing, or how important it is.

Yeah that's a Boom/ZDoom thing, I tested in PRBoom+ v2.5.1.3 -complevel 2 and the chaingunner falling off never happened.

It looks and plays like a tarnsman speedmap, and I say it in a good way as I really like his maps. I liked the layout and the action except for the spidermaster mind, it was useless and really not a threat at all. Other than that, pretty cool map.

Just a quick heads-up, I'll be uploading the finished version of my map 32 section later tonight. Play wise it'll be (almost) exactly the same, but it'll have more detail and lighting, so stay tuned.

Liking your section by the way AD_79.

Okay, this is it..

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ed39q30u3a0b9nk/davem32v4.wad

It has difficulty levels, a couple of extra secrets and it now looks a little prettier. The weapons from the first room can be removed since they are available from the hub section.

Also, I've left the first room and exit room very plain, just in case tourniquet wants to modify them to fit the theme of his hub section.

That's about it. If anyone finds any bugs, just let me know.

Dave The Daring said:

Also, I've left the first room and exit room very plain, just in case tourniquet wants to modify them to fit the theme of his hub section.

Sure i can add some of those Fireblue portals there.
Spotted various locations which still have the DB default Flats, maybe this is intended but imo it looks kinda weird like for example in combination with Marble or Metal like here or
here. So perhaps you want to fix that.