Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

NOVA II - Ver. 1.2 on /idgames (now with no missing keycards!)

tourniquet said:

Got stuck whilst trying to record an FDA, action 219 "W1 Floor lower to nearest floor" is a Boom action and won't work on CL2. Shouldn't be much of a problem to rework this with some dummy sector trickery.
The imps in the right canal near the start were a bit annoying since they tend to hinder you from dropping down.
Otherwise I like this a lot, the throne room trap was pretty cool.

Very solid concept, I hope you'll find the motivation to finish this.

I might be able to just swap action 219 to Floor Lower to Lowest Floor, I'll have to take a look but...

I just assumed that CL2 was the minimum not the lowest requirement, this does a lot more than disable those steps, it prevents a lift from lowering blocking out a lot of monsters and trapping the player...

I also still need to add difficulty adjustments into this one.

You start with all the weapons, it will need ammo changed when it's a full map, I'll add a few rockets at the start: Since rocket explosions have infinite height, you are supposed to fire at the wall and kill the imps below then jump in and unload the SSG which clears it fast.

^^
Well 'Floor lower to lowest Floor' will probably screw up the bottom step.
An easy solution for the steps would be to set the line to action 5 'W1 Floor Raise to lowest and ceiling' and setting the ceiling height of the dummy sectors equal to the floor height. The only disadvantage is that the stairs will lower instantly.

Looks like I screwed up the minimum compatibility and will need to make a new map because of it.

What no, all issues can easily be fixed with dummy trickery in a couple of minutes, i can fix them if you don't mind it.

How are you going to redesign the blue key lowering lift? It requires conveyor belts that create a timer.

Clip into the map and see the voodoo doll moving around them as the lift goes down every few seconds.

Also Noisy said he used the blue key, so I could build something with only the red since doors in vanilla Doom are affected identically by keycards and skull keys.

I at least have a starting idea for a main encounter which can function with just a lowering floor and visual design for it.

Oh i didn't notice that it also contains Voodoo stuff, that makes things a bit more complicated but i'm still sure i might be able to rework it. I like this map would be a shame to loose it just because of some compatiblity issues.
Map29 was also originally a boom Map full of Voodoo trickery and whatnot until i revised it.

Yeah there's always a workaround, even if it may be less than ideal. Plus it's better to redesign one encounter/area than to toss out the entire map.

Pinchy's map reworked, feel free to disregard or throw it away if you don't like it.

Some stuff works by far not as fancy as with boom actions but it works at least in CL2.
There's unfortunately no way to reproduce the BK lift the way you want it.
BK seemed more essential in this map so removed the RK and replaced it with a switch for the door, this way noisyvelvet can use the RK for his part.

Hope i didn't miss a thing, did only some rushed testing.

tourniquet said:

Pinchy's map reworked, feel free to disregard or throw it away if you don't like it.

Some stuff works by far not as fancy as with boom actions but it works at least in CL2.
There's unfortunately no way to reproduce the BK lift the way you want it.
BK seemed more essential in this map so removed the RK and replaced it with a switch for the door, this way noisyvelvet can use the RK for his part.

Hope i didn't miss a thing, did only some rushed testing.

Thank you for taking the time to show how this could be modified to work in CL-2.

However I really did have my heart set on a specific feel to that map, so I couldn't bring myself to modify it.

I will store the changes you made in my construction folder so that I can use that instant stair mechanic in the future.

Luckily I came up with some neat ideas for a new map and promise I will build something of equal quality to replace it.

It took me about 4 days to build that one and the only idea I started with was "I want to use TANROCK2" Everything else just flowed into my mind as I built it. You WILL see that map and the others in the future in my own project or another though, it's not lost forever.

The only thing I think you missed were the 4 hell knights that teleport in that use conveyors to push them over the line.

This means that the blue key is freed up for Noisy to use, my map will only use the red key.

Pinchy said:

Luckily I came up with some neat ideas for a new map and promise I will build something of equal quality to replace it.

Are you sure? It seems easier to make an exception for the map than make yet another one to fill its place IMO, especially since this would be your 4th attempt. You can ultimately do what you want, I'm just surprised how eager you are to move on to try again

Pinchy is gonna end up making a mapset out of his MAP32 portion attempts :P

WHAT'S THIS?!

http://i.imgur.com/HlxJOQK.png?2

Name: Engraved Bones
Music: D_THE_DA from Epic II
Format: Vanilla(!)
Co-op starts: Yes
Difficulty settings: Yes

I put some time aside this weekend to make a decent piece of map for you guys and sunk about 5 hours into this: 4 for mapping and an extra hour or so for tweaking. Runs with the latest resource pack. Enjoy!

Obsidian said:

Did you forget to put weapons/ammo in this map? Seems to be unplayable as it is, unless I'm missing something vital.

mouldy said:

Did you forget to put weapons/ammo in this map? Seems to be unplayable as it is, unless I'm missing something vital.

Uhh, there's a shotgun at the start and a super shotgun a little later. Is there not enough ammo then?

Obsidian said:

Uhh, there's a shotgun at the start and a super shotgun a little later. Is there not enough ammo then?

Well, here's a demo of how far I get before completely running out of ammo
http://www.mediafire.com/download/zt88gomxm6yzv6x/bones-mouldy.lmp

Note that I don't attempt to kill the chaingunners as most people would before realising they are gonna be resurrected. I don't even know how you are meant to cope with those chaingunners, but since I am out of shells by the time i hit the red key switch that is the least of my problems. This is playing with pre-knowledge of the traps, the first time I played I was out of ammo by the first archvile. When I switched to godmode and punched my way through the map I reached the room where 2 more archviles teleport back into the map and resurrect everything again, so dunno how you are meant to deal with that either.

Yes more ammo please, it would make the map a lot more enjoyable, especially since the chaingunners were quite a ammo sponge if you haven't figured out that they'll get resurrected infinitely.
Perhaps one more box of shells in the AV closet next to the RSK + a few more near the start.
You can bypass the RSK Door without the key via the thin ledge.

Failed FDA

Btw the Midi is DN3D's 'Gut Wrencher'

EDIT:

2 more archviles teleport back into the map and resurrect everything again

in that case way more ammo

Serves me right for not testing thoroughly, I guess. Here's an update with much more ammo and a fix to the geometry that'll hopefully stop people tiptoeing past the red bars. Sorry about that. :/

I was wondering if I am allowed to use existing textures (AD_DROK2, TNQBEAM1, TNQBEAM2, TNQBRCK and TNQGRAT6) and flats (AD_GRND1, DAVFSQ04, DAVLRV1F, NUKEGE4, TNQBRCK1, TNQMET2, TNQWOOD)

I recognise some of these from either CC4 or Gothic.

Pinchy said:

I was wondering if I am allowed to use existing textures (AD_DROK2, TNQBEAM1, TNQBEAM2, TNQBRCK and TNQGRAT6) and flats (AD_GRND1, DAVFSQ04, DAVLRV1F, NUKEGE4, TNQBRCK1, TNQMET2, TNQWOOD)

I recognise some of these from either CC4 or Gothic.

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use those.

Personally I would drop the number of chaingunners on that ledge to 1, having 3 makes it almost impossible for me to make progress beyond the red key. Otherwise it is nice to see those textures get a workout :)
I would also say that progression was a little difficult due to the use of those lights as teleporters instead of the traditional hellish ones. Though that might just be me.

cannonball said:

Personally I would drop the number of chaingunners on that ledge to 1, having 3 makes it almost impossible for me to make progress beyond the red key.

Well i guess finding the secret which allows you to kill the vile is almost mandatory, pretty tricky to pass the Chaingunners unharmed otherwise, especially since you'll eventually need to wait for the lift without cover.
Alltogether the new version play's a lot better, still challenging but manageable.
The hierophant cameo is a great gimmick.

Another update that reduces the Chaingunners to 1 on Hard. Also some texture tweaking and whatnot.

One last thing: what would be a more interesting track for this? Gut Wrencher is used a heck of a lot(Jimmy is right sick of it :P) and might bore some people, but I couldn't think of a more decent track to fit the map. Any ideas?

I'm pretty sure my map will be 100% done by the deadline. The map feels extremely old school, as many of my maps seem to - how ironic, considering I used to complain about 1994 wads so much. In fact it's so old-school that I've started running through the original Doom maps for tips and tricks. Some areas are a bit bare-bones compared to Dobu's maps for example, I hope people won't dislike the visual style.

Heyy I'm new to Doom can I join the project? :D

Just kidding, it's me.

Glad to see this is still running and thank you to Dobu for once again taking up the job in my absence. I was probably a bit abrupt in my departure back in January but I felt it was better to step out quickly with notice when everything was running smoothly than wait for a crisis I may have been too busy to deal with and just cave in. Hopefully I didn't cause everyone too much stress at the time.

I'm not planning on contributing any maps, but I wouldn't mind being a play tester for this project since I did launch this along with the first installment. If May 31st is the deadline I'm sure you would all want someone to play through your works in the coming weeks and I'd be happy to take a look and offer some critique.

- kildeth

(PS. Did Plums ever come back? Or did he/she just vanish?)

Glad to see your face again kildeth. No, plums is still unfortunately MIA, which means that NOVA 1 still hasn't been properly updated either. Playtesting will likely be delayed for a bit, as I doubt we're gonna have all 32 maps ready by the end of the month (the deadline still exists for all current mappers however--don't ignore that!)

Seems to be a common trend recently for Doom fans to suddenly disappear. I hope I'm next!

Then I could see where they all went.