Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Patrol1985

Music in No Rest for the Living

I ran the said WAD in PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4.test and upon loading the first map I heard "Message for the Archvile".

Later, I loaded the game via Doom 3 BFG edition and noticed that the track was "Running from Evil" (Doom II map01 music).

Then I checked on the wiki that the track associated with NRftL's first map was in fact "Message for the Archvile", which I assume is what is played on the Xbox version.

Thus, I conclude that the BFG edition has the music track association done WRONG (the tracks are played in the order of Doom II)...

... and yet I'd like to ask if there is any way to run it just like in BFG edition, meaning "wrong"? :D

I recall it can be done by running the WAD in PrBoom+ 2.5.1.3, but then proper map names won't be displayed (so the automap will write "Entryway" instead of "The Earth Base" etc.)

EDIT:

Actually doomwiki.org states that the music is "wrong" due to a lack of metadata, but aren't map names visible in the automap screen also part of the metadata?

There is no custom music inside Nerve.wad from BFG Edition, as well as no DEHACKED to change automap names. I guess that it only works "correctly" in BFG Edition and the newest PrBoom+ (and ZDoom) thanks to a hardcoded fix for this particular wad.

That's the first time someone complains that D_RUNNIN is replaced.

Patrol1985 said:

Actually doomwiki.org states that the music is "wrong" due to a lack of metadata, but aren't map names visible in the automap screen also part of the metadata?

In the Xbox release, there's an external metadata file, called metadata.txt. Here's the one for the mission1 folder, which contains Nerve_demo.wad:

Doom II: No Rest for the Living
TROUBLE WAS BREWING AGAIN IN YOUR FAVORITE\nVACATION SPOT... HELL. SOME CYBERDEMON\nPUNK THOUGHT HE COULD TURN HELL INTO A\nPERSONAL AMUSEMENT PARK, AND MAKE EARTH\nTHE TICKET BOOTH.\n\nWELL THAT HALF-ROBOT FREAK SHOW DIDN'T\nKNOW WHO WAS COMING TO THE FAIR. THERE'S\nNOTHING LIKE A SHOOTING GALLERY FULL OF\nHELLSPAWN TO GET THE BLOOD PUMPING...\n\nNOW THE WALLS OF THE DEMON'S LABYRINTH\nECHO WITH THE SOUND OF HIS METALLIC LIMBS\nHITTING THE FLOOR. HIS DEATH MOAN GURGLES\nOUT THROUGH THE MESS YOU LEFT OF HIS FACE.\n\nTHIS RIDE IS CLOSED.
Nerve_demo.wad
level 1: the earth base
level 2: the pain labs
level 3: canyon of the dead
level 4: hell mountain
level 5: vivisection
level 6: inferno of blood
level 7: baron's banquet
level 8: tomb of malevolence
level 9: march of the demons

So, in sequence, you have:
Episode name
"Game over" text
Slot of exit to secret level
WAD file name
Number of maps or secret level slot

And then, for each level:
automap name
music slot
par time in seconds

Now in the BFG edition, you don't have this. There's no external metadata. The source code contains hardcoded values for the automap names, as well as the secret exit and victory stuff; and that is all. No par time, no music.

Patrol1985 said:

I ran the said WAD in PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4.test and upon loading the first map I heard "Message for the Archvile".

Later, I loaded the game via Doom 3 BFG edition and noticed that the track was "Running from Evil" (Doom II map01 music).

Then I checked on the wiki that the track associated with NRftL's first map was in fact "Message for the Archvile", which I assume is what is played on the Xbox version.

Thus, I conclude that the BFG edition has the music track association done WRONG (the tracks are played in the order of Doom II)...

... and yet I'd like to ask if there is any way to run it just like in BFG edition, meaning "wrong"? :D

I recall it can be done by running the WAD in PrBoom+ 2.5.1.3, but then proper map names won't be displayed (so the automap will write "Entryway" instead of "The Earth Base" etc.)

EDIT:

BFG Edition replaced *part* of the Xbox 360 version's metadata.txt with hard-coded arrays. They forgot the music, amongst some other things, though.

In Eternity, you could override the ENRVMETA lump which is used for this (it's a copy of the 360 metadata.txt). It is found in base/doom/eternity.pke and is a plain text lump.

I know it's a lame response, but I've made a file called nervemus.wad specifically for playing NRFTL with the proper music. It's really easy to do, but if anyone wants a link I can provide one.

I assume that by "proper" you mean the sequence featured in Xbox version. What I'd like to do is restore the "improper" sequence.

I could actually make such a WAD file myself if only I knew how. Do you happen to know a tutorial?

Get Slade 3, open DOOM2.WAD, copy the original music tracks for maps 1-9 and paste them into a copy of NERVE.WAD, be sure to back up the original. Then, rename them to whatever the track name is in the XBLA arrangement (so D_RUNNIN would be renamed D_MESSAG, etc).

There is a NERVEBEX lump included in the latest PrBoom+'s prboom-plus.wad file that contains the level names, game-over, text par times and music for NRFTL. These data have been taken from the doomwiki page for NRFTL. PrBoom+ has a check that it has loaded a file called NERVE.WAD and then loads this specific BEX patch.

The file is data/lumps/nervebex in the source tree.

On 1/7/2015 at 11:23 PM, fabian said:

PrBoom+ has a check that it has loaded a file called NERVE.WAD and then loads this specific BEX patch.

What if the file was called NRfTL.wad ? That's not good enough.

Does anyone has a modified nerve.wad ?