Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sephiroth

finally

well winXP crashed on me last night, wow only after 3 weeks! it took win98 a year to crash that way. anyway it was so bad that when i found the errors in the registry regedit would crash every time i tried to fix it, even in safe mode. so i went out and got LINUX and put it on, i was going to do that anyway. i knew XP had problems but i think a large number of them can be blamed on compaqa's wierd ass software. i still might get XP for my next PC system but i will do that after a new version is out and price is down, i am sure there will be a winXPSE

Well WinXP is pretty whack, it's just that I don't use more than 10 or so programs on it so it never really has a chance to crash on me. It just screws with the existing programs though.

XP is rock solid so long as all the software you try to use is well coded (or performs well with compatibility modes) and your hardware is not only in working order but has good drivers.

I had my XP on for months without the slightest hiccup until Liam virii'd the FUCK out of me and I just reinstalled.

deadnail said:

XP is rock solid so long as all the software you try to use is well coded

Haha, ANY OS runs fine if you run software that doesn't cause crashes.

XP's lack of DOS support is just ridiculous, there's no excuse for it. Besides that, it's pretty decent at the core (barring it's visual glitches and excessive lag which seems to have carried over from Win98).

Lüt said:

XP's lack of DOS support is just ridiculous, there's no excuse for it. Besides that, it's pretty decent at the core (barring it's visual glitches and excessive lag which seems to have carried over from Win98).

I have win 98 on an old p200 with only 64 MB ram and I have no idea what this "lag" you are referring to is. In fact it seems to run about 1.5 times faster than 95b. I also gained 6 fps in ZDoom (over 95b). Computers must just hate you or something.

Lüt said:

"it's" or "its"?

Lüt said:

it's how the OS runs the software that causes crashes that counts!

orion said:

it's how the OS runs the software that causes crashes that counts!

I believe so, too. Most programs that would crash every 15 minutes in Win 98 run perfectly in Win 2000 for me.

The OS runs the software fine and there's no excuse to fucking hang on to DOS, THE DINOSAUR THAT MAKES WIN9X A CRASHY AND UNSTABLE BASTARD.

XP was alright but not worth the $200, i never buy upgrade packs. however it has many more bugs and a ton of issues with compatibility. i even kept my eye on the registry, with the help on the norton registry scan. end the end i guess is was just some random registry error that became bad news for the whole OS. by the way it was mainly a network error that got out of hand

I got the winxp PRO upgrade for 200 and I'm happy =P

Screw Windows...

I intend to switch to Linux in a year or so (I'm not ready yet)

Microsoft Doors.

Just imagine, try and imagine what that GUI would look like. Ha! In your head you can reduce Gates to nothing.

Marijuanasoft Weedows, I saw a boot screen like that.

pritch said:

Microsoft Doors.

Just imagine, try and imagine what that GUI would look like. Ha! In your head you can reduce Gates to nothing.

Heh

Microsoft Walls a.k.a Microsoft Windows 98SE (every time you run into one, you crash).

Weedster said:

Microsoft Walls a.k.a Microsoft Windows 98SE (every time you run into one, you crash).

Rofl

i dont know why people dont like windows 2000. its the best of both worlds if you ask me. its fast and highly stable under intensive use by me which would cause msword to crash on win xp. windows2k just seems so solid. i will use win2k from now on if you ask me.

Fredrik said:

"it's" or "its"?

behave If you can replace it[']s in your sentence with it is or it has, then your word is it's; otherwise, your word is its.
"Besides that, it is pretty decent at the core (barring it has visual glitches and excessive lag which seems to have carried over from Win98)."

stphrz said:

I have win 98 on an old p200 with only 64 MB ram and I have no idea what this "lag" you are referring to is.

Lag in menus and slow loading programs, primarily. You ever try to open that "explorer bar" menu in 98? It's got 6 selections, without icons by any of them, and it takes like 5 seconds to load, the rest of the menus and mouse are frozen while it's hung up trying to load that silly thing. Then the start menu is considerably slower, a few other menus are nuts and cleaning the recent documents takes about 5 times as long as well. Probably cause 95 was pure, 98+ had Internet Explorer built into the core.

There's plenty others besides that but those spring to mind at the moment.

deadnail said:

The OS runs the software fine and there's no excuse to fucking hang on to DOS, THE DINOSAUR THAT MAKES WIN9X A CRASHY AND UNSTABLE BASTARD.

You dumbass, upgrades should always be backward-compatible with earlier versions. PS2 can play PS games, Sega32X could run Genesis games, Doom v1.9 can run Doom v1.666 maps, WindowsXP should run DOS apps. Simple as that. There is room in 32-bit to run 16-bit... I can understand a company saying their 16-bit OS won't have support for 32-bit apps, but saying their 32-bit OS won't support 16-bit apps? PFFFFFFFFFT. And don't even come on with "it's not cost-effective" bullshit, Microsoft could hire an entire crew to properly support DOS in XP with a little of Bill Gates' pocket change. It's a matter of Gates trying to decide what's best for us and nothing else. There's just no excuse for problematic DOS support in XP, none at all.

Lüt said:

You dumbass, upgrades should always be backward-compatible with earlier versions. PS2 can play PS games, Sega32X could run Genesis games, Doom v1.9 can run Doom v1.666 maps, WindowsXP should run DOS apps. Simple as that. There is room in 32-bit to run 16-bit... I can understand a company saying their 16-bit OS won't have support for 32-bit apps, but saying their 32-bit OS won't support 16-bit apps? PFFFFFFFFFT.

Die.

Backwards compatibility stops evolution. Use an old comp for that. We can't keep patching our comps, sooner or later we'll need a whole new infrastructure.

Zaldron said:

Backwards compatibility stops evolution.

No it doesn't, only if it's done horribly.

Zaldron said:

Backwards compatibility stops evolution. Use an old comp for that. We can't keep patching our comps, sooner or later we'll need a whole new infrastructure.

Yeah that's sadly true, if only all the good stuff from the DOS era could be re-written for 32 bit during a time-out.

Lüt said:

You dumbass, upgrades should always be backward-compatible with earlier versions. PS2 can play PS games, Sega32X could run Genesis games, Doom v1.9 can run Doom v1.666 maps, WindowsXP should run DOS apps. Simple as that. There is room in 32-bit to run 16-bit... I can understand a company saying their 16-bit OS won't have support for 32-bit apps, but saying their 32-bit OS won't support 16-bit apps? PFFFFFFFFFT.

Nintendo regreted that one when they went from the SNES to the N64 didn't they?They lost so much ground to Sony.Greedy sods.

Lüt said:

No it doesn't, only if it's done horribly.

Well, I'm sorry Mr Lead Software Engineer in-some-important-company... :)

It's true, whether you like it or not. Ever realized how incredibly gay ATA is? Or PCI? Fuck, even AGP is lame. IDE sucks bigtime. Lets not even talk about motherboards as a whole.