Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ClumsyDoomer

Bunch of my maps (AKA clumsydoom)

Hello! These are my first playable maps. They were made just for fun and I will not make a large project or something like that - they will just be here and this thread will be updated when a new map is released. Maybe I will upload it to /idgames when there will be ~15 maps. Feel free to record letsplays and FDAs. Any feedback is also highly appreciated - I will never become a good mapper without it. :D

This is the map list. At the moment there are only 2 playable maps.

MAP01: Unusual Base
Started: 05.2013 (yes, 2013), finished: 08.2014
This is a very old and ugly map, but I decided to keep it in this wad just for memories. It's not really difficult, but be cautious anyway - there are many traps.

MAP02: Processor
Started: 11.2014, still in progress.
I started this map after another classic wad overdose. If you like good old 2002ADO, you will like this map. It's still WIP though.

MAP07: Mountain Complex
Started: 08.2014, finished: 09.2014
I've put really much effort into designing this map, but gameplay is still bad and detailing may look a bit odd. Attention: very many traps!

Port required: Boom-compatible at least.
Tested on GZDoom 1.7.1 and PrBoom-Plus 2.5.1.4test.
Community Chest 4 texturepack is required!
Download

P.S.: You have to load up the texturepack first or some textures will be missing. Example:

prboom-plus -iwad doom2 -file cc4-tex clumsydoom -complevel 9

FDAs for MAP01 and MAP07; MAP02 data seem to be missing in the wad. Good looking and well playable maps. Balance was overly generous at times, tight at other times, but overally alright. Too many rooms were noticeably boxy (rectangular), work on that. ;) There were some switches with unobvious purpose in MAP07, better make it clear what and where each switch did.

I really enjoyed the weapon progression and monster usage throughout MAP01, for starters. The varied encounters in MAP07 also kept me on my toes.

MAP01 did feel a bit square and cramped at times, though not to the point of ruining my experience. Still a quick, fun, starter map. Simply scaling up some of the rooms to be a bit more open and spacious would go a long way to make this map seem significantly more polished, in my opinion.

MAP07 has more compelling architecture and use of height variation, and there is a marked improvement on your use of space. It still felt constrained at times, but the open areas (like that big valley with the cyberdemon) was a nice contrast and made the close quarters fights feel intentional.

My only other gripe (mostly in MAP07) is the amount of 'bouncing' back and forth across the level for keys, switches, etc. It made progression seem kind of random at times. For a good chunk of MAP07, I felt no sense of direction, and it seemed like I was aimlessly wandering around the 'wrong way' in order to find the next open door that would let me move forward. For a map or two, this degree of bouncing around isn't terrible, but a whole wad of maps like this would likely put me off. I'd probably try to simplify MAP07's progression by removing a key or switch somewhere, or by perhaps making it a little more clear about what direction to head after pushing a given switch.

Anyway, nice work! I look forward to seeing more maps!

scifista42 said:

FDAs for MAP01 and MAP07; MAP02 data seem to be missing in the wad.

Thank you for FDAs and comments! Too bad you didn't finish map01. I didn't include map02 because it's still in development and unplayable

As for switches and keys, I tried to make map unpredictable, long and non-linear, just like in TNT. I think I went wrong way though.

Mithran Denizen said:

Anyway, nice work! I look forward to seeing more maps!

Thanks! Map02 will be released soon.

Another shot from Processor. It will be something between map01 and map07.

Spoiler

p.s.: oh lol, automatical resizing works inside spoilers

ClumsyDoomer said:

Spoiler

p.s.: oh lol, automatical resizing works inside spoilers

In my Internet Explorer, it doesn't. When I open the spoiler, I can see a gigantic image twice wider than the screen.

I think this thread isn't worth bumping, but here is my unfinished map02. I have no idea what to do with it anymore. I was going to abandon it (and the whole clumsydoom), but people liked the screenshots and I like this map myself.
Could someone help me to finish it?

Download. Requires cc4-tex and new clumsydoom.wad.