Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fernito

Most "cryptic" level in Doom?

Guest Unregistered account
Zed said:

Well, if we include Final Doom, maybe TNT MAP04: Wormhole. It took me a while back then to understand there's actually 2 sections of the map that look alike. I always thought those blue bars somehow "changed" the level, I had no idea it was a teleporter despite the fog and the sound (yeah, pretty stupid, I know, but I was still a kid, and let's be honest, that doesn't look like a "normal" teleporter.

That's not stupid! That's literally what you're meant to think! Why else would they go out of their way to place dead monsters (I.E. the same ones you've just killed) in the room? Apparently it was meant to be time-travel, and that's what I always thought it was.

Unholy Cathedral and Spirit World, if you ask me. Both are not only battles through a strange place covered with demonic runes, but the next level (living End and Erebus) in both cases is climb up a mountain.

Seems like a odd recurring theme.

Wormhole has the coolest concept, it reminded me of Silent Hill's transition from the 'normal' world to the nightmare variant.

D1's E2M4 and D2's MAP27 are admittedly creepy and strange.

I played doom 2 first, so I've got all the maps memorized there, and in which order they come. But E2M4 doesn't tell me that's "Deimos Labs", but when I look at the map layout I can tell which one it is. Yeah, that's a creepy one. I might want to throw in E3M3 there as well. It's total non-linearity and varying vistas just intrigues me.

From Doom 2? I'd agree on The Chasm. It gets a lot of hate, but I like it. It's also one of the most expansive vanilla maps, with it's very wide vistas. The Living End comes to mind too, but that's more hellish. The Chasm just plays more like a mystery.

I'd have to say Traps 'n' Tricks from Doom II. I remember that map occupying a lot of me and my father's time when I was growing up, and the Baron Room was just a nightmare.