Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

What the hell do we do between now and QuakeCon 2015?

I for one have been anxious about Doom's development since the reveal. It's been half a damn year and id has said absolutely nothing. Do we just sit here twiddling our thumbs? There's really nothing more to say about what I saw, and yet I want to keep the discussion going.

I hope they show more at E3. Perhaps a bigger tease than last year and then a full blown reveal at Quakecon? I hope that they have made all the changes they wanted to make to the engine (I think I remember someone saying that the reason they didn't do a public reveal is because they were going to make changes to the graphics engine). They hired on that one guy from CryTek. Hopefully he was able to make some valuable contributions.

In the mean time, I will be studying Strength of Materials and Dynamics which will hopefully distract me for a very long period of time after which I will look up Doom on Google News and be pleasantly surprised by some news of its first public reveal. That is my plan.

GoatLord said:

Go about our lives and come back to the discussion when new info is released. They've already said that they will reveal the game to the public this year. In fact, I'd be surprised if it took as long as until QC15. Bethesda usually just releases media when they feel like it.

GoatLord said:

Enjoy our "looking forward to" state of mind, which might possibly be more pleasurable than the real game, but let's hope in the opposite.

LANEGRACABRA said:

I keep seeing dreams about Doom gameplay regularly, but they are always somewhat Quakey...

I've had a few too, they are always weird.

That sounds like a topic for a different discussion, but do you think it's possible to somehow "force" Doom related dreams?

The brain organizes data it received during the waking hours, so maybe if one has a really intense Doom session shortly before going to sleep it may help.

What do you think? :P

Patrol1985 said:

That sounds like a topic for a different discussion, but do you think it's possible to somehow "force" Doom related dreams?

The brain organizes data it received during the waking hours, so maybe if one has a really intense Doom session shortly before going to sleep it may help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucid_dream

Patrol1985 said:

Smoking DMT (the molecule believed to initiate dreams) will cause a waking dream. It may be possible to have a psychedelic Doom experience on DMT if one uses it while playing the game or watching a video of it. I have access to this substance and may be able to do this.

GoatLord said:

Smoking DMT (the molecule believed to initiate dreams) will cause a waking dream. It may be possible to have a psychedelic Doom experience on DMT if one uses it while playing the game or watching a video of it. I have access to this substance and may be able to do this.

DO IT! Then make a map out of it, or better yet, make a map while taking it.

It is literally impossible to coherently perform any activity while on DMT, and the trip is only a few minutes anyway. However, I can function on mushrooms, and I plan to eventually take a heavy dosage of DMT while on mushrooms, and while on a special seed form of DMT that amplifies the effects. This is as close as you can get to experiencing death without actually going to "the other place," and from an artistic stance, it is absolutely the most sacred place one can visit. It might be incredibly beneficial to get Doom involved, since I have a very intimate relationship with the game. Because of my recent exposure to DMT, my dreams have been a lot more bizarre, and a recent Doom dream I had involved a lot of impossible and atomic geometry that was extremely interesting.

Patrol1985 said:

Think about Doom all day everyday, and if you're prone to dreaming and remembering your dreams, then the Doom theme simply has to come in there. ;)

GoatLord said:

I plan to eventually take a heavy dosage of DMT while on mushrooms, and while on a special seed form of DMT that amplifies the effects.

you answered your own question.

Lol, I think I have. While coming down on mushrooms a few months ago, I played Doom 64 and it was a bizarre experience. I think I'm ready to involve it more directly and see what it reveals. I'm recalling a strange dream I had about 18 years ago, in which I tried to walk away form my computer after having had enough doom, and an imp's hand literally came out of the monitor and pulled me back into the seat. Would probably make good boxart.

scifista42 said:

Think about Doom all day everyday, and if you're prone to dreaming and remembering your dreams, then the Doom theme simply has to come in there. ;)

Last night I had a dream that I was going to university for some class and out comes this blonde with huge knockers who says "ok, now we are going to study James Joyce". Instead, she opens up Doombuilder and starts making weird shapes all over. I go to the bathroom to take a leak and when I returned I remember that there was this impressive level and says that was the standard she was going to measure us up to. Then there was this part I forgot but right before I woke up she brought this huge LCD touch screen on which she said she was going to show us how to make new textures. She took one the hellish face textures and started manipulating it with her finger saying "ok, that's how it's done". Just as I was asking a question I woke up.

Might have something to do with my struggles with my level. I'm busting my brains to make it.

GoatLord said:

It is literally impossible to coherently perform any activity while on DMT, and the trip is only a few minutes anyway. However, I can function on mushrooms, and I plan to eventually take a heavy dosage of DMT while on mushrooms, and while on a special seed form of DMT that amplifies the effects. This is as close as you can get to experiencing death without actually going to "the other place," and from an artistic stance, it is absolutely the most sacred place one can visit. It might be incredibly beneficial to get Doom involved, since I have a very intimate relationship with the game. Because of my recent exposure to DMT, my dreams have been a lot more bizarre, and a recent Doom dream I had involved a lot of impossible and atomic geometry that was extremely interesting.

Still try to make a map out of it. Or at least somehow record your thoughts while playing/mapping so that we can help you decipher them to help you make a map. Oculus Rift might help.

EDIT: I think the discussion we are having now truly shows that we are beating a dead undead horse when it comes to Doom 4.

Since the age of 5 I've been getting dreams of playing "old school" Doom with really really complex and cool maps. Sort of feels like I'm inside the game, yet I know I'm actually playing it. Just recently I've been dreaming about what the new Doom would be like, and it's always some sort of mix between Doom 3 and Quake. I know this is going seriously off topic but what what would have been your thoughts if instead of Doom3 there was a remake of original Quake? I think the dark corridors would have fit old Quake alot more.

AAAAHHH theres too little discussion going on. On other message boards it's mostly "new doom is going to suck".

I did the South American style ayahuasca DMT trip and it was waaaaaayyyy too intense to even try to play Doom. I am still in the midst of it. Doom rarely entered my mind; the whole thing has been so overwhelmingly bizarre that I can't describe it with any adequacy. Totally amazing.

GoatLord said:

I did the South American style ayahuasca DMT trip and it was waaaaaayyyy too intense to even try to play Doom. I am still in the midst of it. Doom rarely entered my mind; the whole thing has been so overwhelmingly bizarre that I can't describe it with any adequacy. Totally amazing.

This deserves its own thread!

Imp said:

I second this.

how can you ever go wrong with cocaine and hookers...

also any news of Doom 4 would be fucking awesome right now..even just one stupid screenshot and i would be happy

1) Ignoring the fact id/Zenimax did this exclusive bullcrap last summer.

2) Play classic Doom, with or without mods/custom maps.

So I talked before about DMT + Doom. The extended trip (through ingestion) made it impossible to experiment in this way, but the shotgun blast of shorter, weirder visions should allow me to at least watch a few seconds of video. I might be able to report on that soon. I'll keep ya'll updated.

Maybe they'll give us a tease in that new Mythbusters Doom special to soothe our blue balls a bit. Willits will be attending. Who knows, maybe they'll show a screenshot for a split second, or a reversed soundbyte containing some URL...something. Maybe they are testing the waters with this special. They said they wanted to be really careful with the marketing of this game. With RAGE they released too much info and people got bored in the end.

Jaxxoon R said:

WE MAKE OUR OWN DOOM 4

WITH GoatLord's DMT AND HOOKERS

Fixed. As it stands, Doom 4 will be set in 1967 with the final boss resembling a giant melting rainbow Romero head.

DooM_RO said:

Maybe they'll give us a tease in that new Mythbusters Doom special to soothe our blue balls a bit. Willits will be attending. Who knows, maybe they'll show a screenshot for a split second, or a reversed soundbyte containing some URL...something. Maybe they are testing the waters with this special. They said they wanted to be really careful with the marketing of this game. With RAGE they released too much info and people got bored in the end.

And we will also lose interest or get bored with too little info...