Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ancalagon

Notable 2014 demos

j4rio said:

I'm sure everyone is fed up with the favorite/best/whatever demos threads - not that we had one in quite a while - so I figured why not limiting it to year?

Idea is simple - dig through DSDA and pick whatever demo(s) from last year you consider notable and I'll list them later in OP. It's not supposed to have any undertone of competitiveness (like cyber awards), just a simple listing to pinpoint recommendations and for easy navigation. If you have high self-esteem, feel free to pick your own as well. :)

That quote explains it all, please share good demos that have been posted during last year, I'd like to see what I missed ;)

Demos mentioned in the thread in no particular order:

Plutonia map30 -fast by JCD

30uv in 21:55 by Looper

30uv in 23:03 by Zero-Master

Doom2 map02 max in 1:03 by Looper

Plutonia D2ALL speed in 25:23 by Zero-Master

tnt D2all speed in 44:34 by J4rio

sf2012 map30 max in 1:28:51 by J4rio

Doom episode 3 TAS speed in 2:55 by Akse

Scythe map21 nomonsters in 0:08 by 4Shockblast

Doom2 Turbo speed in 10:04 by 4Shockblast

Swtw map03 max in 43:09 by J4rio

Also there were some demopacks that are worth checking

D2twid demopack

ur demopack

Edited by Ancalagon

30uv2303 and 30uv2155 of course...

which reminds me, it looks like Looper isn't intending to improve on 30uv2155 anytime soon, so we should probably actually do a news post about it.

Linguica said:

which reminds me, it looks like Looper isn't intending to improve on 30uv2155 anytime soon, so we should probably actually do a news post about it.

I will improve it, though not yet (edit: yeah, not anytime soon). I'm currently working on hell revealed 2 built run (map07 atm! I think I show the work in progress once I get map10 done). Btw, lv02-103 took more time than 30uv2155 (and actually more than lv24-032).

I'm a bit busy with school but of course I always have free time. Just not sure how I'm going to spend it. Dota2, Doom2, Built runs, watching streams etc :P

Looper said:

I'm currently working on hell revealed 2 built run

This is gonna be good.

All the iwads got new movies, not just doom2. :)

I didn't record much, just a few demos here and there. Nothing spectacular, I guess.

Well, yeah, any demos of ribbiks maps should be checked just for observing the maps alone.

I recall that I liked ur map 1 max from 4shock, very tight optimization effort.

Pirx said:

these eclipse everything else, and many thought that iwad demos can't be improved by much ;)

Actually, the slew of scythe 30uv movies is up there with the iwad records. The record most certainly kicks the crap out of the tnt movie at the least. :P

dew said:

Actually, the slew of scythe 30uv movies is up there with the iwad records. The record most certainly kicks the crap out of the tnt movie at the least. :P

I can't get excited about temporary pre-shockblast records :P

As far as notable demos, there are a bunch of cool ones from the UR pack over here. Lots of crazy archvile jumps and other tricks. Pretty much any of the pacifist ones are worth watching, but that's my favorite category so I'm naturally biased.

I've just noticed that crfe_p1 map 4 max was recorded this year. It took me far longer to get than tnt or sf30, even though it probably doesn't seem like it.

Aside from stuff already mentioned, the D2TWID individual level run pack had some pretty nice runs from new speedrunners, which was cool to see. Also, the return of Akse to TASing was great (I particularly liked the new Doom episode 3 TAS run).

As for my own demos, I think Scythe map 21 nomonsters in 8 seconds is probably the best optimized run I've ever put out. Also, Doom 2 Done Turbo Quicker was finished early this year (though most of the first half of that is kinda bad compared to the rest :P).

Pretty excited to see what will happen with the movies within the next 1-2 years. I think within that time Doom 2, TNT, Plutonia and Scythe will all have some very solid runs.