Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hatechild

psx-doom / cdr w/ mod chip source port anywhere?

does anyone know if anyone has ever made a source port for psx doom? or a way to edit psx doom and burn it to a cdr that'd work in a modchipped psx? or a doom source port for any cd-driven gaming console?

A similar question was asked by me a few months ago, when I heard that the Playstation2 developer system was linux-based.
Since most of the source ports also have linux versions it should be possible to do a conversion. Nobody took me up on the idea though :-(

I have also searched all over the net for some way to edit the PSX doom game, but I haven't found anything. God it would be so cool to be able to make your own levels and then play them on your own PSX!!

If you here anything more about this let me know man, 'cos I'm really interested in this as well!!!

it would be a dream to have that technology, and it seems like a sin on the doom community that its never happened since it'd be so simple, hehe.

i've always wanted a console game in my hands that i made, even if it was an atari-quality game on the xbox or something.

i was searching for like 2 weeks straight for a way to port a dos game to psx. so far i found a psx compiler for basic, so programmers could make games from scratch on psx. then i saw this one page for people with playstations that have at least 3 or more soldered on parts, maybe thats what i gotta do to play my own doom, practically solder my playstation to my pc. fuck that.

the REAL reason is just so i could make psx doom wads and burn em and pass em around to people with mod chips for the hell of it. ps2 would be better though. i wonder if i should take up linux programming. i've owned 3 versions of linux but never could install them, neither could my friends. then a guy that didnt even know what it was called and said this sucks do you have that windows cd again? we all got shitty and wanted to know everything. he said all he did was click install and it worked. maybe i should downgrade my computer about 5 years and try again.

is there still a linux doom developer?

The closest I've got to playing my own game on a console was when I changed some of the text in the psx Doom to spanish with a hexadecimal editor, and burned the modified exe back onto a cd. That was actually pretty cool, watching stuff that you had written appearing in a game on your PSX! But it would have been really cool to change the graphics or levels :-(

There has got to be a way to edit the PSX maps man!! I have to find it!!

Didn't RandomLag (he's called "deep" here, right?) say something of switched byte order or something along the lines back then? IIRC he also said he might look into it. Or is it just my bad memory?

You're right Tarin, he did say something about looking into it. But since he's never said anything else on the subject, I assume he hasn't.

That stuff about the byte order was just a comment he made because they did something similar with another console port. However it doesn't apply to PSX Doom.

With regard to the question about if there is still a linux doom port, almost all of the source ports have a linux version, as well as the windows version!

MMM psx doom, it'd be great to have a port of that because of the colored lighting and echo effects and such