Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zed

TNT31 fix

Hi there.

I was looking at the TNT31 wad realeased as a fix for the missing yellow key. I opened it in Doombuilder, and as I understand it, it's just MAP31 with the yellow key in it. Now, a couple of questions.

First, it seems the only difference is that they added the yellow key (obvious, I know), so I was wondering, is it the same as taking TNT.WAD, adding the yellow key to MAP31 and be done with it? Does the fix has some other addition(s) for, like, demo compatibility or something? Will I screw up my TNT.WAD if I edit it that way, can I still play demos if I do that? Is it basically the same that adding -file tnt31 to the command line?

Maybe some of the questions are redundant, I honestly don't know much about this. What do you think?

EDIT

You won't be able to use your TNT wad for multiplayer, as modifying MAP31 will obviously cause the wad to differ from what everyone else has.

Also, the MAP31 fix has different nodes by my understanding. I think there's a trap that doesn't fire correctly in the base level, something that Team TNT was aware of but id opted not to fix it for whatever reason.

I'm really disappointed with how uncommon the id Anthology patched versions of Final Doom are in general. Doesn't help that it was the only distribution (and only SOME copies) with the only known update to Final Doom and the patch hasn't been reintroduced since. id really needs to step up their game and use properly fixed versions of their own games that they already made.

I wonder which one the PSX guys used. Probably the shitty old one. I wonder if they addressed any of the multiplayer problems in a different way than the rare patched PC version (or if they did anything at all if it was based on the unpatched version).

Someone might also raise the possibility of HeXen DK on Steam and whatnot, being updated to 1.1 (as is my understanding, HeXen DK has never been released with it's patch built in; I haven't got HeXen DK from Steam or similar).

But it could be that current ID/whoever simply doesn't know.

Zed said:

First, it seems the only difference is that they added the yellow key

The yellow key is there in the original, it just has the Multiplayer-only bit set

Zed said:

so I was wondering, is it the same as taking TNT.WAD, adding the yellow key to MAP31 and be done with it?

No. There's also a nodes error in the original that sets off the sergeant trap in the hallway leading to the megasphere prematurely. One of them teleports into a lowering passage too early and, as his head is stuck in the sector's ceiling, the sector won't lower. Autoaim won't pick him in that position so you don't get 100% kills.

Zed said:

Does the fix has some other addition(s) for, like, demo compatibility or something? Will I screw up my TNT.WAD if I edit it that way, can I still play demos if I do that?

Demos recorded with the patch loaded will desync on playback without the patch, and vice versa.

Zed said:

Maybe some of the questions are redundant

http://doomwiki.org/wiki/MAP31:_Pharaoh_%28TNT:_Evilution%29#Bugs