Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Naked Snake

Angry pissed rage

Goddamnit, my computer fucked up last night. The harddrive decided to bite the shit early. Doesn't matter. Gateway is sending us a new harddrive, then we have 15 days to send in our old harddrive. When I get the new one, I plan on connecting a slave wire between them and seeing if I can retrive some of my files. It sucks having to use the school computers. I may have to get a library card to get on the internet. Heh, at least I won't have to deal with the BESS proxy. It's probably gonna take about a week for me to get my new HD, so I won't be around for a while. Man, I have bad luck with harddrives. On my old computer, I had to format the harddrive at least 3 or 4 times because I fucked it up, so, until I get my new harddrive, I probably won't be here or on AIM, so if you need to bother me, e-mail me at foxstang1@bluefrognet.net, because I can actually access that from school.

You have a Gateway computer? Say no more...

You should get a custom made computer next time. Get some good parts in there compared to noname cheap parts.

Ayefirmative, I'm nver buying a shop PC again... I've had to replace virtually every component at some point, from the hardrive (which went blamo about a year back) to the motherboard (which fucking melted) to the modem.

It's a packard smell btw.

Another gay thing about shop PC's are the fuckign installation discs. You can't reinstall windows without a giant heap of shit coming with it, your software is useless if you upgrade your OS (I've got a legal copy of word 2000 sitting on my installation discs doing fuck all) and these bastards wonder why piracy is so rife amongnst computer users?

Anyway, sorry to hear about your hardrive. i hope you manage to save everything important.

Just for the record, I've bought two PCs from Micron over the past 5 years and not had one single hardware problem. Upgraded one with CD R/W, no problems. Upgraded the older one way back with a Voodoo2 card, still perfect.
I'll admit that I probably have not got the "best" hardware selections this way, and have not saved as much $ as I could.

Heh, there's this place called Izzy's Computer Depot in my town; he builds 1337455 computers for under 1000 bucks. Can't beat it ;)

Heh, I don't need a library card, my mom is a librarian. nyah :P

bigbadgangsta said:

Gateway

Heh, that explains it.

One of my friend's Gateway Pentium2-233 PCs took longer to get past the BIOS screen than my old Pentium-90 took to boot entirely. They have a new(er) Gateway Pentium3-733 and not much has changed since the old days.

Get a computer that uses top-whack hardware bus's like USB and SCSI for everything...

...a mac! As long as you get OS X.

(and a mouse with more than one button)

I'm seriously thinking about installing linux on this machine, but I confess I know very little about it other than windows is pissing me off more every day and linux is about the only viable alternative.

I know some of you guys use linux a lot, could you point me to information and advice on which linux distribution is best for a complete newbie?

My requiremts are word processing, surfing the net and doom... that's about all I really need to do, anythign else is a bonus

[edit] And how the fuck do you pronounce "linux" anyway? [/edit]

Yeah, prefab computers suck. Like my Compaq or whatever with the VOLUME BUTTONS ON THE FUCKING KEYBOARD.

darknation said:

I say it like Lie Nucks, I'm pretty sure that's it, although I've heard a few whackos say it like linnicks.

darknation said:

My requiremts are word processing, surfing the net and doom... that's about all I really need to do, anythign else is a bonus

It isnt a replacement for windows, at least not yet. It may become one in a few years time. It is a totally different type of system and if you want to use it you will have to think of it that way. If you think of it as "windows, but without the crashing", you will be disappointed.

If you are interested in having more power and control over your computer and are willing to take the time to learn to use the system you may like it.

If you are still interested, here is a page you may find informative.

"Lin ooks"

Little trick my dad used - he set himself up as a one-man company (he's a self employed computer technician), and go thru the trade counters - shitloads cheaper than that highstreet bollox.

Jon said:

Get a computer that uses top-whack hardware bus's like USB and SCSI for everything...

...a mac! As long as you get OS X.

(and a mouse with more than one button)

Question: what would you use the second button for? Macs are funtioned to work with only one button, so that second one is superfluous.

Second button is useful for applications (freehand and photoshop spring to mind)

I should point out that I love MacOS and Macs in general. if I could do it again I'd buy a G4 instead of this heap of junk.

the_Danarchist said:

Yeah, prefab computers suck. Like my Compaq or whatever with the VOLUME BUTTONS ON THE FUCKING KEYBOARD.

Heh, I had one of those, but I spilled pop on it so now I have a normal one again =)

Lüt said:

I say it like Lie Nucks, I'm pretty sure that's it, although I've heard a few whackos say it like linnicks.

I thought linnix is correct...hrm.

Archvile64 said:

Heh, I had one of those, but I spilled pop on it so now I have a normal one again =)

Sounds like it sucks anyway, my keyboards have had 5 spills in one week and they make it though fine.

You know, I think that my keyboard is quite possibly the most disgustingly rank item in the entire universe...

It's got to the stage now where it's easier to just buy a new one than attempt to clean it.

*reads more linooks related material*

btw thanks fraggle

Lüt said:

Sounds like it sucks anyway, my keyboards have had 5 spills in one week and they make it though fine.

Everything worked except for the spacebar. It was a pretty shitty keyboard, though, my dad brought home a free one from his office and it's much better.

Archvile64 said:

Everything worked except for the spacebar.

Oh yeah I remember that lameass mail from you now :P

You should get a custom made computer next time. Get some good parts in there compared to noname cheap parts.

I did, sorta. I told their silly asses what to put in...I guess "shit that won't break" wasn't specific enough...

bigbadgangsta said:

I did, sorta. I told their silly asses what to put in...I guess "shit that won't break" wasn't specific enough...

Your new title makes sence now.

Weedster said:

Heh, there's this place called Izzy's Computer Depot in my town; he builds 1337455 computers for under 1000 bucks. Can't beat it ;)

1337455? kick ass would be the correct exclamation and far less pretentious :P

Yeah, I concur etc., don't by shop crap. Especially Hewlett Packard. Yuck;

Memory check: 16384KB OK
Operating system not found

...hours gruelling with BIOS. Full refund and a fucking mess.

Lüt said:

Oh yeah I remember that lameass mail from you now :P

Your reply wasn't exactly 1337 :P