Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

PC Gamer: Why I Love Doom WADs

Argh, another article that links to wikia. :(

Though it does also have a correct link.

Memfis said:

Notably non-embarassing article for a gaming magazine piece about Doom wads.

That's exactly what I noticed too, haha.

I was going to praise them for linking to the real wiki but then they link to both THANKS A LOT PC GAMER /nerdrage

But in all seriousness it's refreshing to see an article about Doom that isn't about mspaint cars and only has a passing mention of Brutal Doom.

<Jimmy> no but seriously Square is the best thing ever and you should all play it
<Marcaek> nice try
<Jimmy> not that I'm biased

I tried playing it but totally didn't "understand" the visual style. It was just cartoonish. Not stylishly cartoonish, just simple and MSPainty. Everything is drawn in a basic style rather than a cool minimalistic style, and I didn't see the appeal in that.

That article should have been titled "Why I Love Zdoom WADs". Seven of those merited a mention vs. one vanilla and one Boom map sets.

If you want a direct route to the best Doom maps and mods, the place to go is the Cacowards

And there goes any credibility the article may have had.

Never_Again said:

That article should have been titled "Why I Love Zdoom WADs". Seven of those merited a mention vs. one vanilla and one Boom map sets.

ZDoom means variety. 5 of those 7 wads are gameplay mods.

TimeOfDeath said:

And there goes any credibility the article may have had.

I know, right? You'll only find good Strife wads there.

Da Werecat said:

ZDoom means variety.

As opposed to the same-old-same-old of DTWID and Going Down? Makes you wonder they mentioned both, seems redundant. One would have been enough and would have left room for Action Doom, the pinnacle of all creation.

Never_Again said:

As opposed to the same-old-same-old of DTWID and Going Down?

As opposed to classic engines with weak modding capabilities.

There are two mapsets for classic engines mentioned, as well as two (G)ZDoom mapsets (if you could call Square a mapset). Everything else is highlights from the world of gameplay mods. It kinda makes sense that there aren't any works compatible with Boom.

Da Werecat said:

It kinda makes sense that there aren't any works compatible with Boom.

...Going Down requires a Boom compatible engine

Having looked at the Pirate Doom screenshot, I immediately noticed the Rayman 2 textures.

Also, it's dawned on me just how radical the community is. The greater respect for classic games in recent years combined with the efforts of modders to create new and interesting experiences has really brought DooM back into the limelight somewhat.