Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hellbent

D1 Open Door Wait Close Doom Wad project idea

I just had the silly idea of a community wad project where the rules are as follows:
You are only allowed to use:

• D1 open door wait close and W1 open door wait close. No DR open wait close. No S1 open stay open. No SR open wait close. No W1 open stay open. No WR open wait close.
  • 1 instance of GR open stay open.
  • 2 teleporters.
  • No repeating lifts. You may use W1 lifts or S1 lifts.
  • 2 key doors (but I may decide on 0 key doors, depending on feedback).
It's up to you whether you try to design the level with getting stuck being impossible or not; but the player will know before hand that all doors are operating as a one chance deal.

I am imagining a level with a lot of doors and a lot of different ways to get to where you need to go, but with each door only providing one chance to go that way, which (I think) should provide a lot of replayability to a level, but am curious what creative ways of constructing the level people might come up with with these restrictions if there is any interest in this project.

This project idea is categorized as in preliminary gestation phase, and thus the limitations are not as yet set it stone.

Hellbent said:

• 1 key door

Either 0, or 2 (and I'd prefer the latter). Because 1 key gameplay is a trademark of Going Down. :)

I probably won't participate unless I get a special idea and enthusiasm. Anyway, good luck.

Spoiler

My own project idea "no imps, no keycards" wasn't successful. Many people complain about limitation projects nowadays.

I wouldn't see the appeal of any sort of "random limitations" community project unless it makes a significant difference from the player's perspective. The only way I could see the idea in the OP working in such a manner is if the "you only get one chance and afterward you're locked out" aspect is the central focus/gimmick.

As a fair warning, there'd probably be a significant number of people who dislike the idea on principle, myself included. D:

[EDIT] If you go through with the project idea, perhaps "One Shot" as a title. It's simple and catchy.

This seems more like a detailed concept for a single map in a larger project, than something that would make sense as a community project itself.

How about a project with only 1-use linedef specials, using only two textures from hacx.wad, in a 1024-unit square, styled after Sandy Petersen's childhood home, all done speedmapped??

As silly as this idea is, I'd like to see an interconnected map with lots of initially open doorways, which shut and lock behind you as you cross through them. I think that could have potential.

This is an interesting idea, I've never played anything like this. Sacrament had a level with a path splitting in two and choosing one path would close the other one, but what if you make a whole map like this? I wanna see it.

Love the name. As far as I can tell, there's no D1 open-wait-close, just S1 and W1. Great start to a project.

I also like the name. Thanks for the suggestion Xaser (will use it).

I usually don't like maps that have one chance elements in them. But a map made up of many one chance elements I think could be interesting; force the player to think about everything they do, differently, namely how they approach doors, especially, as an example, doors which have lots of monsters coming through them. :)

The only reason I included a limitation on key doors is so that they don't get abused as a loophole to the D1 door limitation and thus circumvent the point of the exercise.

essel: you could be right about that. But since I no longer have a working computer for modding, doing a community project better suits my selfish interests of playing doom maps that play a little differently than the bulk of what gets produced these days. :)

Thanks for the support, guys. I would have opened an editor to see all the linedef types before posting this, but... (see above paragraph). Mithran, you could do a map dominated by W1Close instead of W1 open. The only real restriction to the wad is doors and lifts you can activate more than once.

Ling, I was considering extending the 1 use limitation to other types as well, but thought I'd limit the frustration factor somewhat by keeping it to doors and lifts. Open to hear what others think, tho.