Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xeo

Hexen / Heretic Cooperative Gaming

I was telling my kids about some of the old games I used to play. When we got on to the topic of Heretic and Hexen they started getting excited and wanted to replay it with me. I've spent the last couple nights getting a few source ports up and running, but none of them seem to offer a way to save multiplayer games. I remember the original Doom engine could save games (probably because it was a peer-to-peer network architecture). Other than writing scripts to imitate save games, are there any other options? Do any of the ports allow for saving of some kind?

Ideally, I would like a port with which you can save your cooperative games while also offering at least minimal modern graphics options. Both Doomsday and Zandronum look great with their graphics options, but neither support multiplayer saving. Thanks in advance.

If Doomsday did indeed drop multiplayer saving then you need to use a peer-to-peer port. Since I assume you're playing over a LAN, this should give you very little trouble. (G)ZDoom's multiplayer should work great for your purposes. Be sure to grab that latest development build from DRD Team for best results. (Also, do not mix GZDoom and ZDoom. Avoid mixing 32-bit and 64-bit binaries (or other platforms. They should all be compatible, but every now and then a bug pops up, I'm just advising for the best experience.))

While not offering modern graphics Chocolate Hexen should also have the feature you're looking for. Crispy Hexen may be usable for slightly higher resolution, but I don't know what the status of its support is since historically Heretic/Hexen/Strife have been a low priority for that port.

Awesome. Thanks. I'll give GZDoom a try. I've heard Chocolate Doom is the most accurate and faithful to the original, but I have to admit the original graphics at this point are hard to deal with without at least upping the resolution.

Saving a coop game in Doomsday was disabled relatively recently, when we split the client and server into separate executables, due to the shortcomings of the game's game session management. Once game session management is made more robust we intend to reimplement saving of the game in multiplayer modes (the plan is for the server to provide all clients with a copy of the server side world state so that anybody can start their own server to continue the game at some later point).

Older versions of Doomsday did indeed support saving in multiplayer (<= 1.10) but not in Hexen.