Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pcorf

Pcorf Community Project 2 (Finished)

Baphomet_15 said:

This is a very cool map Dragonfly.
I especially like the dynamic arena when a certain tough monster teleports in.
I still don't know how to get to the secret exit, but this is very awesome for a monochromatic map!

Do you mind checking out my contribution?
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1423548

Good news first; your map is great! I loved the visuals. I never felt lost and it was challenging - Took me 30 minutes. Based on the length and the difficulty I'd put this later on in the wad. Regardless, very fun.

I do have some slight issues with it.

1. That Cyberdemon fight I had to save-abuse. There was no way I could have beaten that unprepared. I think the fight would be more balanced if the revenants and chaingunner(s) weren't present, and if there was a bit more of a delay on the spawn of the Cyber.
  2. I simply could not find the entrance to the BFG secret.
  3. I don't know if it was the intended method but to get the rocket launcher & Blue armor, I used the archvile to jump up there.
  4. When the yellow key is lowered, it didn't seem obvious at first what had happened. Also, the cacodemons never came low enough to attack me, as seen on the below screenshot.
I had good fun though, thanks!

Deaf Kamikaze

Music: Under a Crimson Moon by Eric Baker

Inspirations: Plutonia 2, Cyberdreams, Alien Vendetta

This is a hard map. You need to conserve your ammo and health. You also wanna practice dancing with cyberdemons.
Some more screenies:

Dragonfly said:

1. That Cyberdemon fight I had to save-abuse. There was no way I could have beaten that unprepared. I think the fight would be more balanced if the revenants and chaingunner(s) weren't present, and if there was a bit more of a delay on the spawn of the Cyber.

I understand your complaint, however this section is really meant to test your skills as a seasoned doom player. I myself like traps where the player has a sense of relief but then, "OH FUCK!" You can bash away the chaingunners with a chaingun, hide from the rockets of the Cyberdemon using the pillars, and cause the revenants to in fight with the cyberdemon. That's the purpose for the Ultra Violence skill setting im afraid, heh. On Hurt Me Plenty, there are only chaingunners, and on lesser skills there are just shotgun guys assisting the cyberdemon.

I have to have some kind of lesser monsters around the corners because without them, the player can hide before the cyberdemon sees the player, so they can wait out the arena "timer".

Dragonfly said:

1. I simply could not find the entrance to the BFG secret.

To be fair, the BFG is a huge game changer for this map. I'll give you a hint,
look for a lone red light, slaughter the horde from the teleporters, look for a green light, figure out how to activate it, then listen closely. ;)

Dragonfly said:

1. I don't know if it was the intended method but to get the rocket launcher & Blue armor, I used the archvile to jump up there.

You aren't supposed to, but I don't care. Again it's one of those situations where you have to pay attention to your environment. The Rocket Launcher/BFG hidden weapons (if you find them) are not meant to be used until the final part of the map.

Dragonfly said:

1. When the yellow key is lowered, it didn't seem obvious at first what had happened. Also, the cacodemons never came low enough to attack me, as seen on the below screenshot.

Hmmm, thanks for catching that, but I think I am going to leave it like this since it is a horde of cacodemons who guard the yellow key and the player really should have a, "safe spot" to prevent them from reaching the player.

Baphomet_15 said:

this section is really meant to test your skills as a seasoned doom player.

You got me there. [insert skill is not enough reference]

I did beat the fight but with save abuse, I guess I'm not 100% terrible, haha.

Baphomet_15 said:

I have to have some kind of lesser monsters around the corners because without them, the player can hide before the cyberdemon sees the player, so they can wait out the arena "timer".

I wasn't aware it was possible to get out of the Cyb's view. Since it is, then adding some side support was a good call.
[/quote]

Baphomet_15 said:

To be fair, the BFG is a huge game changer for this map. I'll give you a hint,
look for a lone red light, slaughter the horde from the teleporters, look for a green light, figure out how to activate it, then listen closely. ;)

I'll have another shot at finding this at some point haha. Don't take my statement about not being able to find the entrance to heart though! It is the BFG after all.

Baphomet_15 said:

You aren't supposed to, but I don't care.

Good stance.

Baphomet_15 said:

Hmmm, thanks for catching that, but I think I am going to leave it like this since it is a horde of cacodemons who guard the yellow key and the player really should have a, "safe spot" to prevent them from reaching the player.

While I do agree, it seemed 'out of character' for the map, most of the other traps are relentless and don't allow for much breathing room. I however would leave it as it is, too.

-------------------------

AnonimVio said:

So far so good, really enjoying the map! However I am stuck with no understanding of how to progress. The below screenshot is where I am stuck:

One 'bug' if you will, is that I was able to kill the center cyberdemon with relative ease thanks to this little ledge:

I think an easy solution would be to raise the platform the cyber is standing on a little bit.

Dragonfly said:

So far so good, really enjoying the map! However I am stuck with no understanding of how to progress. The below screenshot is where I am stuck:

LOLWUT?! How did you activate that line? Its behind the metal bars! I can't replicate that bug, but I'll move the linedef a little bit forward and hope this will not happen anymore.

AnonimVio said:

LOLWUT?! How did you activate that line? Its behind the metal bars! I can't replicate that bug, but I'll move the linedef a little bit forward and hope this will not happen anymore.

[strike]Can you re-send the WAD with the updated linedef positioning? I'll re-test and review the map a little better for you. :)[/strike]

IGNORE IT. I by habit of testing my own maps try to find ways of breaking everything by jumping & crouching - I crouched in there. Simple fix for idiot-proofing it for people like me using more advanced sourceports - lower those bars a little. :)

I've already updated the link.

Dragonfly said:

IGNORE IT. I by habit of testing my own maps try to find ways of breaking everything by jumping & crouching - I crouched in there. Simple fix for idiot-proofing it for people like me using more advanced sourceports - lower those bars a little. :)

I'm pretty sure Pcorf will disallow jumping and crouching via MAPINFO lump, first PCCP had it.

AnonimVio said:

I'm pretty sure Pcorf will disallow jumping and crouching via MAPINFO lump, first PCCP had it.

That's definitely a good idea. Anyways, just re-played the map.

That plasma secret is priceless! Sadly that was the only secret I could find.

I applaud you on making me say 'oh shit, oh shit!' aloud. Very few times do I actually speak while gaming (unless playing multiplayer on skype/LAN). This happened when I was about to collect the blue key.

Visually the map is the perfect setting for the combat - dark & oppressing. Considering the project's size constraints I never felt too cramped. The area you start in is the only part I think feels a little more awkward than it needs to, but I'm not sure what you could do to remedy that.

My honest reaction was that this map wasn't very fun, I'm afraid.

My first gripe is that this map has NOT had difficulty settings implemented. I found the map's difficulty to be a touch above my skill level on UV so I tried it on lower difficulties only to find it had the exact same monsters. I had to heavily abuse the save feature to compensate.

This attempt at a slaughtermap felt awkward, because there seemed to be too many 'stopping points' which inevitably leaves the player being zero'd out in an instant. The cause of this is that there's absolutely nowhere to get away from sight due to monsters being packed into every corner, and some architecture felt as though it gets in the way too much. This could come down to my skills as a player not being good enough however.

Some issues:

• The midi abruptly ends, it does not loop at all. This is very distracting.
  • The 'cage' area doesn't seem to serve much purpose, and currently doesn't look too good. Perhaps convert this into a little 'shack' building?
  • The lack of any kind of fight after collecting the red key / opening the red key door felt very out-of-place considering the level of carnage witnessed in the level.
  • Why does the blood pedestal which the archvile stand on damage the player? Didn't seem logical and caused me to think I was being shot when there are no enemies left alive.
  • Having wood immediately above fire also seemed like poor texture choice:

• Some of the aesthetic choices seemed un-necassary
  • This one is a personal issue, but seeing SS Nazi's mixed in with doom monsters has always felt like bad monster choice. Perhaps replace these with a mix of chaingunners & former humans?
This map has potential to be a fun slaughtermap, it just needs some fine-tuning. I think ways to improve this map with minimal effort would be to add a light sprinkling of stimpacks and small collections of ammo over the map, and implement difficulty settings.

Fun map Joe! Not THAT hard as I was thinking it would be (died only 2 times on UV). The texturing is a bit weird though, especially the "snow" part, it looks just so weird. Besides that, no bugs (or I haven't found any) and decent visuals (for your standards), but please CHANGE THIS MIDI. I know you like this kind of music, but it doesn't always sounds good in midi format.

Also, my map doesn't have difficulty settings too, I'm too lazy to do them.

AnonimVio said:

Your map sits on the line of 'too hard for me' whereas Joe's breaches it. I think for community efforts difficulties really should be implemented. If Pcorf wants the maps to have difficulty settings implemented, I'm happy to help balance maps like yours and Joe's to be more tolerable for the lesser skilled. :)

Resumed work on mine again. Thought I wouldn't even do this but I decided to dust my project off & finish it, before the due date. Its still a urban-type map. Non-linear with a couple exits, hopefully. Good luck, everyone. The maps so far posted, look snazzy. B-)

AnonimVio said:

That is fine. Pretty happy with the map, probably will be one of the last maps in the Hexen/Plutonia section.

From PAGE 1
* Difficulty Settings yes or no, it doesn't matter.

I can do the difficulty settings myself. But even if you submit a map with no difficulty settings that is fine.

Once the deadline is here and once I receive the last map, give me a week or two to compile the wad. Levels will be arranged by theme and the beta will be uploaded once I am satisfied.

joe-ilya said:

Got it, thanks.

Hi,

I made a third map. It's a Boom Compatible (-complevel 9) level named "Demons Dungeon", designed for single player and co-op (the difficulties are set). As always, it requires the PCCP2TEX.wad (it's in the archive).

Some screenies :

This map feels more like a bonus level. And yes, the only secret area is kinda unimaginative.

Download link : http://www.mediafire.com/download/i5z145fn8ko1quk/PCorfCP_Malrionn_DemonsDungeon.zip

Really neat idea for a map Malrionn. It feels like a Heretic map with this music and textures. Difficulty is ranging from easy to medium (on UV). Overall map design is very good, although you could put some lifts so that player can get back up (I've died because of falling into the lava pit). I think this map could fit regular slot as well.

BTW. I've started working on another map. Hopefully I'll finish it before the deadline :D

Malrionn said:

level named "Demons Dungeon"

Nice map! It was fun from start to finish and because of the height progression you really felt you were getting somewhere in this map.

I, like AnonimVio, died in the lava after falling, although my fall was intentional as I went for an ammo box I hadn't yet collected.

Nice 'holy suit', btw. ;D

AnonimVio said:

BTW. I've started working on another map. Hopefully I'll finish it before the deadline :D

Good luck, buddy!

heya! I've got a 2048px map to contribute but I'm puzzled about the bit where you say it needs to be zipped up with a text file. What sort of thing should be in the text file, the standard idgames submission format?

for my maps uploaded for the project i've just put a short document with:

- your name
- map title
- build time
- new music (if any)
- a short description of the map

and this works fine, so do in that way

OK, I emailed teh file ahead to PCorf, thanks!

here's the level if anyone wants to play in advance.

ps: My normal approach is to balance HMP so that I can beat it without saves, and UV so that I can beat it with a save after each obvious "battle"... I understand UV looks very harsh for an FDAer but the approach is intentional, heh

Malrionn said:

Hi,

I made a third map. It's a Boom Compatible (-complevel 9) level named "Demons Dungeon", designed for single player and co-op (the difficulties are set). As always, it requires the PCCP2TEX.wad (it's in the archive).

Some screenies :

http://i.imgur.com/VfRs3M1.png

http://i.imgur.com/iEQE2MP.png

This map feels more like a bonus level. And yes, the only secret area is kinda unimaginative.

Download link : http://www.mediafire.com/download/i5z145fn8ko1quk/PCorfCP_Malrionn_DemonsDungeon.zip

Thanks for this Heretic-themed map. I have added it to the list on Page 1 of this thread.

I really would not be surprised if I got a few more maps, that final rush. But regardless there are plenty of choices for the main 32 level megawad plus the rest of the maps that will go into the extra episode.

yakfak said:

OK, I emailed teh file ahead to PCorf, thanks!

here's the level if anyone wants to play in advance.

ps: My normal approach is to balance HMP so that I can beat it without saves, and UV so that I can beat it with a save after each obvious "battle"... I understand UV looks very harsh for an FDAer but the approach is intentional, heh

Thanks very much for the map.

Challenging and I also really liked the music.

Captain Toenail said:

Oh hey November isn't that far off. Seeing some nice screenshots in here.

Pcorf are you planning on arranging the maps by theme, difficulty or both?

Pcorf will be arranging the maps by theme very much like Doom 2 Unleashed was, with increasing amount of monsters per theme. It will take a lot of careful planning, but hopefully the beta will be out before the end of the year.

yakfak said:

Fun, tough map. I found the start was a little harder than the rest of the map, but it was fun still. :)

AnonimVio said:

http://i.imgur.com/NnDPI0N.png

Still needs sky transfer, but I'll do that when map is done.
At least you know in what theme my next map will be :)

I've always felt that doom's blue is too deep/dark - but it looks nice in this map nonetheless. If Pcorf was alright with it I'd advice a slightly lightened blue via a new PLAYPAL lump, but that's a bit excessive really.

What sky do you plan on using? :)

Dragonfly said:

What sky do you plan on using? :)

Either SKYPLBLU or SWSKY2 but I think the first one will be more fitting.