Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Batandy

Doom: The Golden Souls 2 | OUT NOW! | Current Ver: 1.4

5f97644e11.png

General Description
Doom : The Golden Souls 2 is the sequel of the groundbreaking mario styled hub-based mod, this time you'll travel through levels with a world map, unlocking new paths by reaching secret exits or by collecting big coins. You must retrieve 7 Golden Souls stolen by the Cyberdemon's minions in order to save the world... once again!

Full Version Now Released!

Download

https://batandy.itch.io/goldensouls2

Please play with the latest available Gzdoom version!

Please do NOT play with other addons or gameplay mods unless they are specifically made for GS2, things WILL break!

Edited by Batandy

I'll be honest, I think the existing Mario and Sonic conversions are wank. Yours, however, looks bloody amazing. Can't wait to play it!

I liked the first from what I played of the demo. Unfortunately, I can't play the full one due to newer versions of GZDoom, which needs a computer with at least Open GL version 3.0.

Springy said:

I liked the first from what I played of the demo. Unfortunately, I can't play the full one due to newer versions of GZDoom, which needs a computer with at least Open GL version 3.0.

Have you tried gzdoom-bin-1-8-10.zip?

It's from December 27th and it's the final, most up to date version of GZDoom before the Open GL version 3.0 requirement was implemented.

The pistol sounds kinda weak, I suggest you give an echo like you did to the shotgun.
EDIT:It sounded weak in the video, sorry.

Please get rid of the instant death cliffs. It discourages exploration and is needlessly frustrating. Just take away 10 health and respawn the player back on a nearby cliff.

Scuba Steve said:

Please get rid of the instant death cliffs. It discourages exploration and is needlessly frustrating. Just take away 10 health and respawn the player back on a nearby cliff.

That would totally break the gameplay of the mod, as i said, it's not frustrating with the new jumping system

Batandy said:

That would totally break the gameplay of the mod, as i said, it's not frustrating with the new jumping system

I still found it frustrating. I'd forget to quicksave and have to go back to the last level when I had last saved. I found myself not even attempting to make tricky jumps for a bonus item because the penalty of dying too much wore on me.

I would play the game with mad speed if I didn't have to be burdened by having to remember to autosave after each jump. I could make risky and rash leaps from platform to platform if I knew it was a health penalty... and I might take fewer risks knowing I have low health.

MajorRawne said:

I'll be honest, I think the existing Mario and Sonic conversions are wank. Yours, however, looks bloody amazing. Can't wait to play it!

agree with this save for Super Sonic DOOM which is a gem.

Batandy said:
Thanks to the feedback of the community, GS2's gameplay is vastly improved over the original game!

Batandy, I think you should hear what Scuba Steve said. I feel like this is your attempt to fix some of Golden Souls 1 flaws, and I remember most of them being pointed by the community before the final release, but not changed at all. The beautiful art style suggests a arcade-y and fun gameplay that is severely dragged down by things like monsters with too much health, high difficulty and instant deaths.

This mod is nice. However, I agree with Scuba Steve's opinion and justification why cliffs should be less unforgiving. And what Darch said about monsters with too much health is also true, IMO.

scifista42 said:

This mod is nice. However, I agree with Scuba Steve's opinion and justification why cliffs should be less unforgiving. And what Darch said about monsters with too much health is also true, IMO.

Honestly we're not talking about jumpmaze level platforming with basic jumping. GS2 is not trial and error anymore like it was in GS1, if you can reach the platform, you will.
Honestly i don't want to change them, think about a Mario game where if you fall you get teleported back, it just doesn't sound right. If you really are unsure about making a jump, you can quicksave.

About the enemies, please tell me which enemy you think it would need less health. I've already tweaked the moving plants so they'll have less health in the next version

Not a fan of the original, just seemed to be more of a re-creation in the exact same style and monotonous gameplay of rather the oldschool n64 games. I remember some of them being fun back in the day, but it doesn't really hold up today. Even with Doom-like arsenal. Mainly because it lacks the charm those games had with characters like in Spyro the Dragon, the speed of Sonic, beauty of environments or RPG elements of Castlevania SOTN, crash bandicoot jumping around on crates gimmick, or the tougher combat & puzzle aspect the first 3d Zelda. Here its just some generic coin hunting around a big levels (if its like Mario 64 or Donkey Kong Country I don't know since I didn't play them). If the levels had something going for them besides fighting plants and finding coins, if it was tougher (and not in a generic way like those plants that act like meatshields), if there something more to it all besides running around alot, I'd give the sequel a crack but otherwise I just see this is nostalgia for those that don't remember that atleast the old n64 games had 1 or 2 things going for them. All I can do really is compare it to newer doom mapping projects, and this doesn't come close to architecture or speed in gameplay. In fact weapons 5, 6 don't kill as fast as original Doom and generally I find it takes longer to plow through enemies.

TheUnbeholden said:

if its like Mario 64 or Donkey Kong Country I don't know since I didn't play them

Man, you're missing out. This doesn't "outdo" Mario64 by any means and indeed is not trying to, but it does take some clear inspiration from it, and I think that's a good thing. The classics of the N64 library generally have far more than "1 or 2" good things going for them though.

Batandy said:

think about a Mario game where if you fall you get teleported back, it just doesn't sound right. If you really are unsure about making a jump, you can quicksave.

Personally, I totally agree with this, but I fear that it will leave a negative impression on other Doomers. Maybe taking as much as 40 or 50 HP points, but still teleporting would be a happy medium? I'm fine with quicksaving as it's super easy and takes like a nanosecond, but others seem to dislike it.

I have to say, a big factor here is the difference with Doom movement and Mario64 movement, in that Mario is a lot less slippery than doomguy, has his incredible signature backflips/triple jumps, and the additional help of a 3rd person perspective to help you accurately land jumps. Platforming is so much harder to properly execute in Doom due to the first person perspective.

Either way, I loved GS1 and I'm sure I'll love GS2, I just want to see it recieve the attention it deserves.

The cacos always get pushed back really far when shot, preventing them from getting pushed is a great idea, that way they won't be able to reach the other side of the map.

TheUnbeholden said:

Not a fan of the original, just seemed to be more of a re-creation in the exact same style and monotonous gameplay of rather the oldschool n64 games. I remember some of them being fun back in the day, but it doesn't really hold up today. Even with Doom-like arsenal. Mainly because it lacks the charm those games had with characters like in Spyro the Dragon, the speed of Sonic, beauty of environments or RPG elements of Castlevania SOTN, crash bandicoot jumping around on crates gimmick, or the tougher combat & puzzle aspect the first 3d Zelda. Here its just some generic coin hunting around a big levels (if its like Mario 64 or Donkey Kong Country I don't know since I didn't play them). If the levels had something going for them besides fighting plants and finding coins, if it was tougher (and not in a generic way like those plants that act like meatshields), if there something more to it all besides running around alot, I'd give the sequel a crack but otherwise I just see this is nostalgia for those that don't remember that atleast the old n64 games had 1 or 2 things going for them. All I can do really is compare it to newer doom mapping projects, and this doesn't come close to architecture or speed in gameplay. In fact weapons 5, 6 don't kill as fast as original Doom and generally I find it takes longer to plow through enemies.

I'm not sure if i can give your comment a proper reply since i'd obviously give my work a good opinion, but all i can say is that the landscapes of my mod have been always appreciated by doomers. Everyone i've seen playing the mod has always been amazed by the Van Gogh level or the Moon level, for example. Take out the textures, the coins and the stuff and my levels are short and plain, yes, but that's just my style of architecture. I don't like adding sectors over sectors of stuff to make my level pretty, i prefer to do it with props, textures, stuff like that, because that's how i prefer to do it, for this mod, the basic level layout is also based on mario's straightforward level design.
All i can say is, even if you didn't like the first GS1, try the beta of GS2, it's better than GS1 because the first game was my testing ground, i learned alot of stuff while developing that mod, i spent 2 years of my life into it. GS2 fixes most of its flaws, has a different gameplay, based on Super Mario World this time. Things like the plants have been balanced out, and i think GS1 already looks like crap compared to it.

Doomkid said:

Personally, I totally agree with this, but I fear that it will leave a negative impression on other Doomers. Maybe taking as much as 40 or 50 HP points, but still teleporting would be a happy medium? I'm fine with quicksaving as it's super easy and takes like a nanosecond, but others seem to dislike it.

I have to say, a big factor here is the difference with Doom movement and Mario64 movement, in that Mario is a lot less slippery than doomguy, has his incredible signature backflips/triple jumps, and the additional help of a 3rd person perspective to help you accurately land jumps. Platforming is so much harder to properly execute in Doom due to the first person perspective.

Either way, I loved GS1 and I'm sure I'll love GS2, I just want to see it recieve the attention it deserves.

I'll think about it

joe-ilya said:

The cacos always get pushed back really far when shot, preventing them from getting pushed is a great idea, that way they won't be able to reach the other side of the map.

Yeah i'll give them more mass

Batandy said:

The Weapons[/b]

M1911

Your starting weapon! Fires 10 shots before reloading, fast fire rate and mid-damage

I noticed that the pistol is M1911 which is a 45.caliber pistol in real life. In the first Golden Souls game I found myself forgetting out the revolver by the time I got the AK47. One change I'd recommend is making the pistol have unlimited accuracy and knock enemies back since 45 caliber rounds are said to be that powerful in real life. Your more than welcome to reject this idea if you'd like since a lot of Doom mods show off the pistol as useless. I just think it would balance the weapons out a bit more.

Other than that I look forward to your work. I especially love how the levels are going to have multiple paths much like in Super Mario World.

It's Here!

DOWNLOAD: http://www.mediafire.com/download/mwktcd6mtebpi4t/GoldenSouls2_Demo_hfix1.pk3

After 1 year of work you can experience 3 of the latest levels, with all the newest features!
Don't forget to post some feedback, it's really important for me!

Levels:
"The Land With No Name"
"Arid Abode"
"Port Paradise"

Known Bugs:
-Port Paradise has some FPS issues, feedback about your performance in that map would be appreciated.
-Sometimes the Starshooter's alt fire projectiles glitch out

FAQ

Why are you releasing just these 3 levels instead of releasing everything you've done?
Because i think discovering each level's unique theme was what made the first GS amazing for most people, this one will have way more levels than the first one, and i don't

want to reveal everything.

You've gone from Beta to Demo, what's the meaning of that, is this Beta 0.2 or whatever?
This is not Beta 0.2, actually there'll not be any more betas available. As i said above, i'm doing this to avoid revealing everything i'm working on, the main difference is

that the world map is replaced with a smaller version containing just the 3 levels released.
Think of this as an E3 demo, you get to experience part of the gameplay without having the full game.

Is this the only Demo version that will be released to everyone?
No, with this new system i'll be able once in a while to drop new demos containing other sets of levels, this way you can try the latest stuff and i can get some feedback

from you guys.

I see that you included all the game resources, can i make a map?

Sure, just make sure to follow the game's general map style, as you can see the maps are quite linear and they never reference directly stuff from the mario games.
A bad map would be a Mario 1-1 copy with question blocks and everything, a good map would be something with a unique color palette, interesting location and straightforward

gameplay.

If you make a map don't forget to post your pics on the Zdoom forum's mod thread, and when it's done send me a PM, if it's good i'll include it and i'll add you to the credit

list as one of the mappers!

And the demo trailer music is joe-ilya approved! Nice to see you're putting out a demo, but I shall wait for the finished product before playing this myself.