Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ancient EviL

[RELEASE] The Haunt.wad (Doom2)

Hello Doomworld users,

As of about 2 weeks ago from the day this was posted, I started using the program Gzdoombuilder as well as Slade 3. I've learned a lot and still am learning. This is my second attempt at making a good, playable map. It's basically DooM if it was a survival horror, so don't expect rooms full of enemies and fierce weaponry, this is more of an atmospheric type of level. But don't be fooled! There are still creatures lurking in the shadows...

I would love to hear feedback and I hope you all enjoy. (sorry about the somewhat large file size, need to get out of the habit of using mp3 files for music)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/u056juall914mt2/The_Haunt.zip

You've posted the same thread twice, but with different links. I suppose that you just wanted to edit your post, and that this (later) thread contains the correct link?

EDIT: I had to give up, because I couldn't find any keys. The slow motion, extreme darkness and visually bugged flashlight helped to make an unsettling atmosphere, but on the other hand, they made the game annoying to play, when I needed to reexplore areas and couldn't do it fast enough. The music fitted the atmosphere well. Design was simplistic, way too rectangular based, which is not a good thing for level design, because Doom engine allows easy usage of non-orthogonal structures and height variation and those are much more appealing to look at and move around.

Yeah, I had to reupload my file because I missed something I should've put in the readme. Thank you for the feedback, I'll keep this stuff in mind the next time around. (The first key is hidden in the library by the way) Tip: Candles

I've noticed the missing candelabra before, I've been trying to press the wall, but nothing happened. Only now I've found out that I actually had to press the bookshelf. No, puzzling like this is no good thing at all, even as secret areas, not to say as a way of mandatory progression.

Another thing, DOORTRAKs on sides of doors are typically being lower-unpegged. The original games did it like that, it looks better for most people and has become kind of a standard - precisely, it looks like a bug when you don't lower-unpeg sides of doors.

Monochromatic texturing of walls could also be vastly improved, it's also a sign of unprofessionality.

I knew the secret for progression was a risky move, I actually just fixed that and I'm going to reupload it so the link will be to the updated version, with a non-hidden key. And thank you for telling me about the unpegging, I wasn't sure what that term meant, but I do now. And I see what you mean about the texturing.