Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scifista42

Doomworld Mega Project 2015 - Now on /idgames

needless to elaborate further: sign me up! I have a question though: can you accept my map if I use a 7mb sound file for it? Or is that too big? I can solve if it is but I would prefer not to cut it down.

Katamori said:

can you accept my map if I use a 7mb sound file for it? Or is that too big? I can solve if it is but I would prefer not to cut it down.

If it's copyrighted, then really better not. If it's not copyrighted, then it's still quite too big anyway (and unnecessarily, which doesn't make me happy), but acceptable.

scifista42 said:

If it's copyrighted, then really better not. If it's not copyrighted, then it's still quite too big anyway (and unnecessarily, which doesn't make me happy), but acceptable.

It isn't. But seeing that it would inconvenient for you, I'm ready to find out a better solution. Actually its so big because I merged it from 3 songs - most likely, one can be enough too :D

Title: JAN02.WAD
Port: Vanilla (tested in Chocolate Doom)
Difficulty levels: ITYTD, HMP, UV
Custom resources: midi (Mutant Chronicles [SNES] - Venus)

[download]

EDIT: oh yeah, I'm in.
EDIT2: oh yeah, screenshots:

schwerpunk said:

Title: JAN02.WAD
Port: Vanilla (tested in Chocolate Doom)
Difficulty levels: ITYTD, HMP, UV
Custom resources: none

[download]

FDA (failed). Fun map, unpredictable and with non-standard difficulty. Pistoling a chaingunner at the start was a good starter exercise which also granted you a chaingun. Map looked good, layout was okay, light work was more than okay, I liked it.

Level name : Vox Populi
Author(s) : Demonologist
Build time : 4 hours and a bit more
Editor(s) used : Doom Builder 2, Slade 3.02
Compatibility: Boom
Music track : James Paddock - ZDoom
Playtesting : Sure
Difficulty settings : Yes
Bugs : None known
Inspiration : Hell Revealed map22, Hell Revealed 2 map27, Quake
Author's comments : 4-hour speedmap, with a bunch of slight [mostly cosmetic] changes and difficulty settings implemented afterwards. Challenging but not murderously so. Enjoy the carnage.

Download
And don't forget to grab q1tex before you go.

And yes, screenshot.

Holy Bloody Mary
Format: Boom
Build time: minimum of 3 hours for the layout, followed by a couple minutes of fixing a few stuff.
Music: "Flight" from Breath of Fire 3.
Description: I've decided to make a little plutonia themed speedmap today. There are no difficulty levels implemented yet and I'll probably port this to the Doom 2 IWAD. But for the time being, you'll need plutonia for this to work properly. Feedback appreciated.

By the way, are we allowed to submit more than one map?

I made a tiny Wolf3D-esque level. It only seems to work with GZDoom with Choclate Doom crashing, which would mean it does not work with vanilla Doom either. It does not work with any other source port I've tried too.

ZDoom has partial compatibility, with some oddly colored textures (e.g. green instead of blue doors)

Jumping and crouching is allowed, although jumping is useless here and 98% of enemies are hitscanners, making crouching useless also.

Gee, I hope this download works. Load the .pk3 along with the .wad.

https://mega.co.nz/#F!CExghboa!oZ-iUYov5vP1KDE6oKp1dA (Copy the whole thing)

@LittleInferno: You can post proper links using [url] tags. See any post in this thread and quote it just to see how it works. You put a keyword url in square brackets [ ] right before the link, and then /url in square brackets [ ] right after the link.

The wad is obviously GZDoom-only compatible thanks to the Wolf3D_Resources.pk3 resource pack, which is a .pk3 and only ZDoom-based ports can work with .pk3 files. Also, it only works properly in an OpenGL rendered because the textures aren't palettized to Doom palette, that's why ZDoom's software rendered handles them inaccurately.

To be honest, the map is terrible, extremely dull, simplistic, linear, cramped and too short, and completely non-challenging and unimpressive, and I personally dislike the usage of stealth monsters, but they at least make the slightest challenge they can, in this linear abomination. Jumping and crouching is reduntant due to lack of any height variation. Well, you apparently didn't mean the map seriously, but if you wanted to make better maps, you're on a long way, and I recommend looking at other people's maps for inspiration as the start. Thanks for contributing anyway. I just hope the map wasn't OBLIGE generated.

By the way, where did you take this "Wolf3D_Resources.pk3"? I'd like to know because of giving credits to the creator.

Breezeep said:

By the way, are we allowed to submit more than one map?

Nope, one map per person is allowed. I don't think it's a big deal for anyone, you've got many other community projects to submit your maps to, not to say that you can release them on your own.

However, you can always post updates to your map or replace it with another map, anytime during the year, as you wish.

Breezeep said:

Holy Bloody Mary
you'll need plutonia for this to work properly. Feedback appreciated.

FDA. As you can see, the map is nothing more than a dumb exercise in running in circles + a bit of camping, if I put it frankly. It would be slightly harder if someone wanted to speedrun it, but I believe that even experienced speedrunners would find this to be too trivial and idealess. Really symmetrical and unoriginal layout. Looks good, though.

Breezeep said:

Feedback appreciated.

I found it way too easy, in total I got hit for less than 50 points I think. So didn't need any medikits at all and ammo supplies were also unnecessarily generous. Maybe remove ALL health items and some ammo, then it could be an interesting short "reality" map. Or add a lot more monsters!

As of now, I'm keeping track about oddities of all submitted maps in the OP: Required texture resources, and what needs to be fixed - in the latter case, I expect that the mappers would do the fix themselves.

Breezeep said:

Eh, fuck it. I'm scrapping holy bloody marry.

Are you sure? Imo the map looks very nice and I genuinely had some fun playing it even if it was pretty easy for me. At least it forced me to move all the time. I think with some tweaking you could get something quite interesting. Add more enemies, maybe use "block monster" lines so that you can keep some of them as "turrets" that forbid simple circlestrafing... I'm sure j4rio\Grain of Salt\etc could turn this into a neat slaughtermap.

@Demonologist: Your map was just what I've expected from you: An over-the-top slaughtermap, which is why I haven't even tried recording an FDA. It's well efficiently and masterfully structured and playable, just dickishly unforgiving, and that's not the kind of maps I like to play. Anyway, thanks for difficulty settings, I was able to beat at least 2/3 of the map on HNTR (with saving, that is). I probably can't give any useful feedback to you, you're a master in your own job and I'm not of the kind of players you're making your maps for.

Memfis said:

Are you sure? Imo the map looks very nice and I genuinely had some fun playing it even if it was pretty easy for me. At least it forced me to move all the time. I think with some tweaking you could get something quite interesting. Add more enemies, maybe use "block monster" lines so that you can keep some of them as "turrets" that forbid simple circlestrafing... I'm sure j4rio\Grain of Salt\etc could turn this into a neat slaughtermap.

Well, does that mean I still get to make a different map when I hand the current map over to another mapper?

Breezeep said:

Well, does that mean I still get to make a different map when I hand the current map over to another mapper?

I'm not sure if I understand the question correctly - but as I've told you a few posts above:

scifista42 said:

you can always post updates to your map or replace it with another map, anytime during the year, as you wish.

As for the "handing the map to another mapper"... I'd prefer if every DMP submission was a personal work of a single author. Of course, you can do whatever you want with your own map, even more so with a map that won't end up being your final submission.

I'm not sure about how I feel about Holy Bloody Marry, but I could possibly replace it with a sequel to my DMP2014 submission, Basically.

@ scifista42: Thanks for such flattering words, great camouflage for disappointment and frustration, heh. Yet I believe that this map is no more dickishly unforgiving than both HRs are. A bit of old-fashioned slaughter where overall pace is largely determined by the player rather than evil mapper demanding things and putting restrictions... And yeah, there are lots of camping spots for... precarious assassins. I'm not removing those, let there be, you know, options.

@Demonologist: My disappointment and frustration weren't that bad, because (as I said) I've expected being slaughtered like that, but you are probably correct anyway. :)

I expect I'll give this a shot at some point, after my NOVA II map is finished. (It might actually be my NOVA II map, if it ends up being cut for lack of a map slot for it).

https://www.mediafire.com/?uiyfptpw97zodn7 <-- old version

Build time: About 5 years
Music: D_RUNNIN (I don't care if its changed)
Description: I made this map originally about 5 years ago, it was a boring mess, so I fixed it up for DMP2015. It's way more tame than my previous submissions (and shorter) and actually has difficulty implemented. Enjoy!

Du Mhan Yhu said:

https://www.mediafire.com/?uiyfptpw97zodn7

Build time: About 5 years
Music: D_RUNNIN (I don't care if its changed)
Description: I made this map originally about 5 years ago, it was a boring mess, so I fixed it up for DMP2015. It's way more tame than my previous submissions (and shorter) and actually has difficulty implemented. Enjoy!

FDA. Please give your map a name. The map looked very good, but was actually pretty straightforward, and not much fast paced at all, while not bad either. Ammo was tight at the beginning (but it wasn't really a bad experience, having to instigate infighting), and overly generous later (the brown cave and further). I've seen stuck monsters: A shotgunner in a window near start, and 3 imp ambushers nearby (they appeared when I've returned to the blue door). The exit lacks any exit sign, which it should have IMO. The 2nd official secret owned me, I couldn't find out how to get there. The hidden armor at the start was also secret-like, as well as the plasmagun was. The archvile cave / lift fight could only be solved through camping and taking advantage of infinitely tall rocket splash damage. Overally, I've enjoyed the map anyway, it just could have been better in the aspects I've mentioned. ;)

Here's my (almost finished) map, called 'Escape to Sea'. I wanted the map to feel really large, contrary to my typical mapping style. The result feels like a much better UAC Rebellion, in a sense. The base for this was an old speedmap I made ages ago. I will definitely be updating this, but some critiquing would really help me out!

Download

Also, there are just a few custom textures within the wad, but I can happily take them out and put them in a separate file if need be.

EDIT: D'oh, I'll just rename them Kid***** like scifista clearly stated in the OP... Although, will the main wad at least contain the WFALL* textures? That's the only custom one that will be messed up if I rename it.

^I'm really liking that map you made Doomkid. The item placement and weapon to enemy balance is pretty solid. The Das Boot midi also goes really well with it. Good use of textures and nice detailing.

Although I wont be making maps as often as I used to, I may get involved in this project. I'll try to make something much better than the shit I submitted to the Doomworld Mega Project 2014.

@Doomkid: Regarding the textures, please don't just put them outside the wad, that's not how I've meant it with an external texture pack. By that, I meant using an official one, such as cc4-tex or similar. Seeing that your custom textures are rather random ones, I'd prefer if you could rename your textures AND patches (inside the map + inside the wad + inside TEXTURE1 + inside PNAMES, just rewrite the names) to have a 3-character prefix (KID?????).

Also, which compatibility?

EDIT: By the way, Du Mhan Yhu's map has waterfalls that don't animate properly, needs an ANIMATED/SWITCHES lump.