Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scifista42

Doomworld Mega Project 2015 - Now on /idgames

Hey sci, Do you mind cutting out "Holy Bloody Marry" for me? I want to replace that map with something better.

Breezeep said:

Hey sci, Do you mind cutting out "Holy Bloody Marry" for me? I want to replace that map with something better.

I understand, but I thought that I'd keep the map in the list for the meantime. You know, for the case that you don't submit any next map at all / disappear since tomorrow / etc.

If you wordly insist that this map mustn't appear in the final compilation, I can remove it already, if you confirm once again. I recommend not to.

Well, Your review of the wad wasn't very good and It convinced me that it's not really a good map. It just made me feel bad.

Breezeep said:

Well, Your review of the wad wasn't very good and It convinced me that it's not really a good map. It just made me feel bad.

Don't take it so hard, it's constructive criticism. I liked the map, just rework it :D

IMO scifista42 will give you some of the best feedback, pm him and ask him specifically what can be improved and go from there. why scrap it?

Alrighty, I can rename those patches/textures, most of them are just alpha/doom1 textures that can be removed anyway. I think it's ZDoom only just due to using the horizon line type, I'm not sure if that works in PrBoom.

Du Mhan Yhu said:

IMO scifista42 will give you some of the best feedback,

Thanks for your compliment, but absolutely not. I mean, I'm willing to provide honest feedback as much as my capabilities allow, but better don't absolutely rely on its objectivity or quality, that would be unwise. I can't really represent majority of actual players that well when judging maps. I'm not even able to anyhow participate in higher quality projects. In this community, there are much better, pro-like level designers, playtesters and writers with lots of long-term experience and keen eye for Doom's design and gameplay. Those provide the best feedback. (They just usually don't provide it on every meetup / in every thread.) (Which I'm more likely to do, because I'm gaining experience this way + having fun with playing wads + wanting to help as I can.)

Couldn't someone give me some advices for texture renaming? Will I have to replace every texture on the map by hand or there is a quicker way?

ClumsyDoomer said:

Couldn't someone give me some advices for texture renaming? Will I have to replace every texture on the map by hand or there is a quicker way?

Use Find and Replace feature, it should be in every decent map editor. Find a texture name, replace with the new one.

Maybe you're also asking how to rename them as they're named inside the wad or inside TEXTURE1 lump? Well, you can block-select patches between PP_START and PP_END markers and give them a 3-character prefix (which will overwrite their first 3 letters, so watch out, all names should be unique), then you'd have to open TEXTURE1 by double-clicking it and do the same with the texture entries there (again, beware of names that aren't unique). It should work, although I'm not 100% certain if there wouldn't be problems. But it's both the cleanest and fastest way I can think off.

Thanks, but Slade 3 refused to replace some of the textures (usually flats, 12 flats weren't replaced) - it just said "0 elements changed" and I had to fix them by hand. Map is done, but there are still some textures to replace. I think I will finish everything today.
EDIT: Doom Builder 2 saved everything (I'm addicted to GZDB, but it didn't work either). Its find & replace mode worked fine.
EDIT2: Phew. Now it only needs some playtesting.

Here it is.

Author: ClumsyDoomer
Level name: Dread Facility
Texture prefix: CLDxxxxx
Build time: 7 days of real time, ~25 hours of working time
Editor(s) used : GZDoom Builder, Slade 3
Port: Limit-removing
Music track: Level 14 from Descent
Playtesting: Played few times by me and Demonologist, thanks to him for pointing out some bugs.
Difficulty settings: None
Known bugs: None (anymore)
Inspiration: Random music (mostly Fear Factory), TNT: Evilution, 2002 - A Doom Odyssey

Medium-sized map with pretty unusual gameplay. Its layout is a mixture of 2002ADO, TNT and a little bit of my soul. All primary map areas are interconnected by a labyrinth just for fun. I've put some player starts on this map, but there is no way I can test coop + I didn't add any multiplayer things, so you with your coop-mates may end up with no health and ammo. As for singleplayer ammo balance... if you run out of ammo, just walk around. There are ammo clips / shotgun shells scattered on every corner.

Major part of textures was ripped from Memfis' Bastards map. :p

ClumsyDoomer said:

Here it is.

Author: ClumsyDoomer
Level name: Dread Facility
Port: Limit-removing

FDA. Very good looking and stylistically consistent map. Gameplay was generic, but it was enjoyable and entertaining for me, I didn't mean it as a complaint. I've found a HOM in the closet with 2 chaingunners near the start, accessible by a thin secret corridor. This map had quite a few secret passageways, but the only official secret was a soulsphere, which I could easily grab without actually getting on the pillar, and I've never found a way to access it properly. Ammo balance was okay, there was actually a lot of it rather than few, it was distributed evenly and well. I didn't like that sometimes there were forced pickups in the player's way or in front of switches (armors, shellboxes). The teleporter out of the Cyberdemon's area was a little hidden. Overally I liked the map, good job.

scifista42 said:

FDA. Very good looking and stylistically consistent map. Gameplay was generic, but it was enjoyable and entertaining for me, I didn't mean it as a complaint.
Overally I liked the map, good job.

Thanks for the review and FDA. Memfis has also found a small bug, but at the moment I'm too tired and the fix will come out later.

scifista42 said:New content is ALLOWED, as long as it doesn't replace any original stuff in Doom 2.

I assume that means no custom sounds? (example: psx doom monster sounds)

This is Cadman...I'm interested if you still have a slot available? Thanks!

There are slots available. Anyone can contribute to this project. You've got all year to submit your map. Go for it!

U.O.D. said:

I assume that means no custom sounds? (example: psx doom monster sounds)

They must not replace stock Doom 2 sounds. Better not use them at all. If you insist that your map needs them and if you're mapping for a ZDoom based port, feel free to import unique-named PSX sounds, make a custom SNDINFO for them, and a custom DECORATE to make new monsters using these sounds, and then use these new monsters in your map. The monsters must have a unique editor number and mustn't replace any of the stock monsters (but if you use inheritance, you can easily make them look and behave exactly the same as stock monsters, just with custom sounds).

joe-ilya said:

Author: Ilya "joe" Lazarev
Level name: Your doom
Port: Vanilla
Link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/88l36368jtv2mkl/your.wad

FDA. Welcome back, joe-ilya! I liked this map, specially its first half - the 2nd half was slaughtery, but also OK, though. The start provided a good challenge, as well as a few other areas. I believe that you're considerably improving. Since the day when you started putting effort to lighting and somewhat reasonable texturing, I take your maps more seriously than ever before. Good job.

Those screens look pretty decent, Joe, square blood holes notwithstanding.

Some demoes: https://www.mediafire.com/?2l0ztf06833zkqb
Contains:
Vanilla:
"Bastards" by Memfis
"JAN02" by schwerpunk
"Tuesday's coming" by Inkie
Boom:
"Doom 2 texture wad only" by z0k
"Water facility" by du mhan yhu
Limit-removing:
"Escape to sea" by doomkid

Bastards by memfis:
Cool visuals and gameplays, that AV encounter is super awkward.
JAN02 by schwerpunk:
Good visuals, the gameplay went well untill I had to get somehow through that cyber, give me a clue I don't know what to do.
Tuesday's coming by inkie:
Simple visuals, great gameplay all this running around is pretty reckless.
Doom 2 texture wad only by z0k:
Visually it's amazing but plays dumb, all those chaingunners getting out of boxes like they're some cake male strippers, disturbing, revenant encounters were cool the caco one's not so much.
Water facility by du mhan yhu:
That armor behind the starting door should be marked as a secret.
More great visuals in this one but once again an awkward AV encounter only this time it has no cover.
Escape to sea by doomkid:
Everything about this map is great, this feels like one of the best maps from the 90's, godly explorations in this. My favorite map from what I've played so far.

joe-ilya said:

Water facility by du mhan yhu:
That armor behind the starting door should be marked as a secret.
More great visuals in this one but once again an awkward AV encounter only this time it has no cover.

1. I don't want to make it a secret. It's a door, obviously the natural thing would be to try and open it -you did.

2. I watched your 2 failed attempts. You had 2 chances to run for cover or run away and that was on your second attempt. Also, had you found the BFG near the blue key, chances are you would not have even made this a subject. :D

Apologies if I seem to come off rude, not intended.

Dread Facility v 1.1
Fixes:
- Fixed a missing texture in a tiny room with two chaingunners
- Fixed an easily skippable linedef. If you still manage to skip it, there is a small switch next to the key. It will lower the pillars.

EDIT: I have to improve my english.