Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scifista42

Doomworld Mega Project 2015 - Now on /idgames

The Magical Mystery Tour Begins ;

Map slot : MAP01(placeholder but of course)
Music : Chex Quest E2M1
Difficulty Levels : Yes
Build Time : 4 weeks(actual work)
Compatibility : Complevel -9(I think)
Tested with : Both latest Prboom-plus and zdoom versions
Textures : mondrigan.wad by jmickle66666666 and some vines from cc4tex.
Multiplayer stuff included but not tested.

Background ;

I wanted to make a map with these textures by jmickle, that's it. There's a considerable leap of difficulty between UV and HMP but I consider HMP to be the default difficulty.

About the map ;

A rather small and simple map with mainly low-tier monsters, not too hard and will work best as a early level. I made it as a starter to be more precise. There might still be some bugs in, if you find any, please report back to me. It was complevel -2 compatible at one point but then some glitches start popping out and I grew tired and frustrated with it so I just gave up on it, got a little lazy at the end.
For multiplayer, I just threw in some evil opposition. Don't expect it to be fair whatsoever.

Special thanks to both scifista42 and 40oz for helping me with testing and technical stuff.

*This will not work properly with complevel -2*

Link ;

http://www.mediafire.com/download/n9i7ri6n4khh71m/Magical+Mystery+Tour_v2.wad

Maybe, just maybe, it didn't work with vanilla complevel as you expected because you were typing the parameter wrong, just as you did in this post. The parameter is actually "-complevel 2" (respectively "-complevel 9"), not "complevel -2" / "complevel -9".

EDIT: Nah, it really doesn't work right in -complevel 2 anymore.

You're hurting my intelligence scifista. I deliberately changed it back to *-complevel 9* because other issues start popping out like I wrote so no, I had the parameter typed correctly.

gaspe said:

A small update to my map. Changed just a couple of ammo things, and gave some more space in the hell knights room so it's less based on foreknowledge/luck.

I played the original version with saves on the night you posted it. I made it up to and past the HK fight with no deaths, but then I died four times afterwards (twice in the AV+spectre area, once in a random arach/chaingunner trap, and again to a cyber at the end). None of those fights were objectively harder, but I was nearing sleeptime and couldn't maintain the same level of play. The AV+spectre fight seemed like the hardest first-playthrough fight, however -- preknowledge is very useful there.

I'd recommend adding a bit more pressure in the imp/caco wave. Having the awareness to quickly clear out some imps in order to grab the pile of rockets seemed like the only part essential to avoiding damage entirely. Some PEs from the rear might be good enough. Having a low-pressure fight isn't a bad thing, though -- rocketing imps and cacos is inherently pleasurable.

Is there a plasma rifle or BFG somewhere? I left the map without killing the cyb, because I was quite low on ammo by the end.

Nice map.

rdwpa said:

I'd recommend adding a bit more pressure in the imp/caco wave. Having the awareness to quickly clear out some imps in order to grab the pile of rockets seemed like the only part essential to avoiding damage entirely. Some PEs from the rear might be good enough. Having a low-pressure fight isn't a bad thing, though -- rocketing imps and cacos is inherently pleasurable.

Is there a plasma rifle or BFG somewhere? I left the map without killing the cyb, because I was quite low on ammo by the end.

Adding some PEs with the cacos seems like a good idea, I'll see how I can balance the things for this.

There's a secret plasmagun, and when you open the red key door there's a BFG (with an AV) in the "silo" that opens behind you.

Here's an updated version of my map.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/89415187/judbhaa2.wad
Changes:
- Fixed floor texture in sector 220 (changed BRIKGTH1 to BRIKMET1)
- Changed entrance to the big NW arena (replaced door with one-way stairs.) This completely prevents the player from escaping back into the hallway immediately after triggering the fight, and fixes two bugs which could make the player stuck.

I'll briefly describe the bugs, because this could be useful info for some other mapper:

* Apparently, if you trigger a "open wait close" action for a door, it's impossible to make the door close (with another linedef action) before it closes on its own. (At least, this is how it works in ZDoom. It might work differently in another source port or with different compatibility options.) This meant that if you entered the arena too fast, the "W1 close door" linedef at the entrance (meant to ensure the door closed immediately and the player couldn't slip through) wouldn't trigger, and it would instead trigger when the player was leaving the arena after opening the exit door... thus closing the door in his face. Forever.
* If you trigger a "Door Open Stay" action on a sector, then any "open wait close" linedefs can still affect the door... and will indeed make it close up again after a moment. Which is bad when there's only one chance to open the door, but plenty of opportunity for the player to re-close it and trap himself.

Only two weeks left, and I'd really rather get my D2INO Catacombs remake into this year's project so I can make something else for the next one. How done do maps have to be when the deadline comes round? Is it just bugfixes only afterwards or can stuff be added to the map and if so, how much?

As you can see, I've got quite a long way to go yet..

Eris Falling said:

How done do maps have to be when the deadline comes round? Is it just bugfixes only afterwards or can stuff be added to the map and if so, how much?

No changes at all after the deadline, possibly except emergency fixes to confirmed critical game-breaking bugs that are likely to be triggered by an unknowing player.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/2jhya6

Title: Void Base
Engine: Limit removing (I think)
Requires: CC4-tex

FDA, recorded in PrBoom-plus -complevel 2. Tedious map, to be honest, and repetitiveness + symmetry + infinite number of basic grindful encounters doesn't help it. The only thing that makes it bearable are the occasional theme changes, but as I said, each given theme stays for too long and gets repetitive and somewhat boring. The yellow key dungeon also featured many HOMs. It's surely a result of the custom textures in your wad with a TEXTURE1 that got overriden by the cc4-tex TEXTURE1, because classic ports (as opposed to advanced, typically ZDoom-based ones) don't support stacked TEXTURE1 definition - I guess you only tested your map in ZDoom, which is principially wrong when you present the map as limit-removing, but the texture problem alone should be salvagable by a proper TEXTURE1 edit.

obake said:

Version two of Ultimate Countdown:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/qay5gd1rb8g4alb/cdver2.zip

This version has added detail, removed HOMs, and tweaked gameplay.

I do want more feedback on this map. Remember, it is strictly zdoom, and jumping and crouching are a necessity!

As I see it, this map apparently easily allows, even encourages avoiding combat and rather just running around chaotically until the required path or item is found (while losing patience gradually more and more) - personally, that's one of my least favorite kinds of gameplay to be honest, but nothing wrong with it.

All of the new sprites/enemies are quirky up to odd, I wasn't anyhow impressed by them but didn't see them as a bad thing either. I would say the same about the storytelling elements and semi-realistic structures.

There were 2 Stealth Zombiemen right behind the pair of doors to the main populated area. I personally dislike random usage of Stealth monsters, and I wonder if you actually intended to use them or placed them accidentally. Then again, OK if you chose so.

Eris Falling said:

Alright, my map is waiting until next year's project.

Hopefully there will be a DMP2016, I started my submission for 2016 last weekend.

scifista42 said:

As I see it, this map apparently easily allows, even encourages avoiding combat and rather just running around chaotically until the required path or item is found (while losing patience gradually more and more) - personally, that's one of my least favorite kinds of gameplay to be honest, but nothing wrong with it.

All of the new sprites/enemies are quirky up to odd, I wasn't anyhow impressed by them but didn't see them as a bad thing either. I would say the same about the storytelling elements and semi-realistic structures.

There were 2 Stealth Zombiemen right behind the pair of doors to the main populated area. I personally dislike random usage of Stealth monsters, and I wonder if you actually intended to use them or placed them accidentally. Then again, OK if you chose so.

Thanks for the review. I purposely put the stealth zombiemen in the map. I found it fun. Darn.

I'm getting the impression I'm just not a good mapper. Perhaps this will be my last wad release. Thanks again for taking time to play it. :)

Eris Falling said:

Alright, my map is waiting until next year's project.

Alright, though you still have 11 days of possibility to change the fact and your mind.

obake said:

I'm getting the impression I'm just not a good mapper. Perhaps this will be my last wad release.

It's important to identify what you consider to be your strengths and to work on those. I think you should experiment around more with making layouts, speedmaps, or mapping under constraints (1024x1024, only imps, etc.) before you throw in the towel. IMO your biggest fault so far is that you don't really expand out a single "space" or "area", instead focusing on an abstracted macro-space. Maybe try and make an interesting map that only has 5 rooms or something.

obake said:

I'm getting the impression I'm just not a good mapper. Perhaps this will be my last wad release. Thanks again for taking time to play it. :)

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!

I want to see UAC: Enterprises Rebooted dammit! Don't give up on Doom mapping now you awesomely wacky mapper you!

(also I hope DMP2015 releases on time)

Speaking of DMP2015 release: I'm going to compile an alpha release early in January, containing the maps from downloads listed in the OP. (I already have all of the currently listed maps downloaded on my computer in case that some links expired in the meantime.) The alpha will be up for some time, due to possible reclamations of critical map bugs or errors caused by conflicting resources, and to allow map order discussion. I will initially order the maps by my own judgement (probably primarily by their compatibility and secondarily by general difficulty and "smooth-ness" of continuous playthrough), but if people outvoted me to change it, I will. Once things get stable, the project will be uploaded to /idgames.

scifista42 said:

I will initially order the maps by my own judgement (probably primarily by their compatibility and secondarily by general difficulty and "smooth-ness" of continuous playthrough), but if people outvoted me to change it, I will. Once things get stable, the project will be uploaded to /idgames.

I'm all for you ordering the maps the way you see best. It could be interesting playing a megaproject where the levels have a sense of flow.

scifista42 said:

(probably primarily by their compatibility and secondarily by general difficulty and "smooth-ness" of continuous playthrough)

In Scifista We Trust

No, because I will be awaiting new contributions till the very deadline, and the alpha release should already have all maps in and all unused resources removed, so that it can be tested that nothing got broken during the process of compilation, and doing any premature compilation would turn out to be a waste of time if a single new map was posted right before the deadline.

scifista42 said:

(probably primarily by their compatibility and secondarily by general difficulty and "smooth-ness" of continuous playthrough)

I'm ok with this idea

scifista42 said:

FDA, recorded in PrBoom-plus -complevel 2. Tedious map, to be honest, and repetitiveness + symmetry + infinite number of basic grindful encounters doesn't help it. The only thing that makes it bearable are the occasional theme changes, but as I said, each given theme stays for too long and gets repetitive and somewhat boring. The yellow key dungeon also featured many HOMs. It's surely a result of the custom textures in your wad with a TEXTURE1 that got overriden by the cc4-tex TEXTURE1, because classic ports (as opposed to advanced, typically ZDoom-based ones) don't support stacked TEXTURE1 definition - I guess you only tested your map in ZDoom, which is principially wrong when you present the map as limit-removing, but the texture problem alone should be salvagable by a proper TEXTURE1 edit.

Well it is a 12-year old map (from the earliest clutch of Plutonia II maps which I still have lying around somewhere), it's hardly going to match today's punitive standards.

I've fixed the texture lump (it's now a modified CC4 one that needs loading after CC4-tex), although it seems rather pointless...as the project will require ZDoom to play and the texture lump be recompiled anyway once all the maps are in.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/63hru0

obake said:

Update 3 to Ultimate Countdown:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/b7pencgd0t1zddt/cdver3.zip

This adds some new areas, tweaks gameplay, and has a revised version of the music track, called "Honor2".

One thing I want to know is if the revised music is better, and if not, it can be replaced with the original track.

I played the previous version, and on this one I just cleared the big outdoor area. Personally I like more the previous track.
About the map at first the low gravity was really weird but after a while I got used and I understood better how was the gameplay. Btw do you play with mouselook? I play without it and sometimes it was awkward to hit the enemies while doing these big jumps. The attack that "mows you down" was really confusing: the sound that overlaps all the others, earing doomguy's pain sound before it hits you; also it's difficult to understand who does that attack.
Aside for beign quite chaotic when you enter the main area overall it was an interesting experience.