Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scifista42

Doomworld Mega Project 2015 - Now on /idgames

I hope this unannounced almost-last-minute map is OK:

Name: Rock Bottom [Download]
Author : Andy "Rook" Johnson
Editors used: Doom Builder 2.1.2.1553
Compatibility: Vanilla (tested in PR Boom + 2.5.13 at -complevel 2)
Music: Default
Graphics: Uses IKDTEX.WAD [Available Here]
Difficulty settings: Yes
Bugs: None Known
Secrets: 3
Notes: No jumping/crouching, co-op starts available

Screens:

Finakala said:

Level name: Praise the Lowered
Port: I know it works in ZDoom as that's what I use, but it should work in any limit-removing port in theory, I don't think I made anything that won't work and there's no custom elements. I'm not even sure how to check that kind of thing, honestly.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ri3y0q88e2y8bho/Praise_the_Lowered_2015.wad

It appears that your map uses generalized linedef actions (boomism) and also mixes flats with walltextures and vice versa (zdoomism), so it has to be considered ZDoom-compatible as is, not limit-removing.

The map was very flat in essence for the most part, the long linear paths with fights against enemies like Spectres and Hell Knights were quite boring, most fights in the map were actually skippable with ease, and I perceived the gameplay balance as very crudely put together. Combined with default music, it really made the map feel amateurish - despite some well done details of ravaged rocks and hellish touches. The soulsphere fight and yellow key fight were more or less OK.

Anyway, for your next time mapping, I recommend you to experiment with interconnecting areas around the whole map and with using height variation that would actually distinctly influence gameplay (and aesthetic too).

Rook said:

I hope this unannounced almost-last-minute map is OK:

Name: Rock Bottom [Download]
Compatibility: Vanilla (tested in PR Boom + 2.5.13 at -complevel 2)

It is all OK for sure! Here is my FDA, recorded in Chocolate Doom. I also checked the map in Chocorenderlimits and it seems to be well below vanilla's VISPLANE/DRAWSEGS limits. On the other hand, there were multiple (albeit minor) tutti-frutti bugs on textures with a different height than 128 that were tiled vertically. You can see them if you viewed my demo in Chocolate Doom - I remember one instance on a lamp pedestal near the first rocket launcher in a cave, and another instance in the final arena on back sides of the pillars on the far side from the door.

The final arena lockup mechanism is not foolproof. The player can run back just before the door closes and get stuck. Also in multiplayer, if one player locked himself inside the room and died, other players would get stuck too. This would be worth fixing IMO.

I also didn't like that each lift was only one-way, not allowing backtracking to previous parts of the map, but that's just my personal gripe.

The map was simple, but looked good and played OK.

scifista42 said:

The ideal way to do so is to download PrBoom-plus and run your wad in PrBoom-plus with parameter "-complevel 2" (limit-removing compatibility). I will do exactly that with your map, to check if it works or not. If you've used any linedef actions of type S1/SR/W1/WR/G1/GR with tag 0 referring to the sector on the back side of the linedef, the map will not work properly in limit-removing compatibility, because classic ports treat tag 0 like any other tag number, therefore referring to all sectors with tag 0 in the entire map (except for D1/DR/other types of actions). And if you've placed any linedef with a walkover or other special action immediately in front of a linedef supposed to be activated by press use, it will also not work properly in classic ports, because the first linedef will block player's attempts to press use on the linedef behind it. These are the most common "zdoomisms" in classic format maps that can break compatibility. If you avoided them, the map will probably be OK, but it needs to be tested anyway.

OK, tested it out myself at complevel-2, doesn't seem to work. I've re-jigged a couple of bits and have managed to at least get it working at complevel-9, so it should be BOOM compatible now. Updated copy: http://www.mediafire.com/download/wa91fdz58de6hyn/Praise_the_Lowered_2015_%28BOOM_Comp%29.wad

scifista42 said:

It appears that your map uses generalized linedef actions (boomism) and also mixes flats with walltextures and vice versa (zdoomism), so it has to be considered ZDoom-compatible as is, not limit-removing.

The map was very flat in essence for the most part, the long linear paths with fights against enemies like Spectres and Hell Knights were quite boring, most fights in the map were actually skippable with ease, and I perceived the gameplay balance as very crudely put together. Combined with default music, it really made the map feel amateurish - despite some well done details of ravaged rocks and hellish touches. The soulsphere fight and yellow key fight were more or less OK.

Anyway, for your next time mapping, I recommend you to experiment with interconnecting areas around the whole map and with using height variation that would actually distinctly influence gameplay (and aesthetic too).

Thanks for the feedback! Shall look into making something more intricate next time round, gotta start somewhere after all.

scifista42 said:

It is all OK for sure! Here is my FDA, recorded in Chocolate Doom. I also checked the map in Chocorenderlimits and it seems to be well below vanilla's VISPLANE/DRAWSEGS limits. On the other hand, there were multiple (albeit minor) tutti-frutti bugs on textures with a different height than 128 that were tiled vertically. You can see them if you viewed my demo in Chocolate Doom - I remember one instance on a lamp pedestal near the first rocket launcher in a cave, and another instance in the final arena on back sides of the pillars on the far side from the door.

The final arena lockup mechanism is not foolproof. The player can run back just before the door closes and get stuck. Also in multiplayer, if one player locked himself inside the room and died, other players would get stuck too. This would be worth fixing IMO.

I also didn't like that each lift was only one-way, not allowing backtracking to previous parts of the map, but that's just my personal gripe.

The map was simple, but looked good and played OK.

Many thanks for the input - I'll do my best to amend the issues you've mentioned and upload a second version. I always forget to take into account VISPLANE/DRAWSEGS limitations but I'm glad it hasn't been an issue this time around!

Looking to add a custom midi to my map (JAN02). Scanned the instructions in the OP, and not sure what the procedure for this is. Should I include the track externally, or can I do the usual:

P_START
D_RUNNIN
P_END
?

Will credit source as soon as I decide on a track, of course.

Just include the midi into your wad to play on your map, which proves that the music works in the game as intended. The P_ markers must be a misconception of yours, music shouldn't be put between any special markers.

TIL. I've been doing that erroneously for ages.

Alrighty: Added a touch of visual fluff, and a midi. I've updated the details in my original post, along with the d/l link.

Can't wait to check out what everyone else has been up to. :)

@schwerpunk: Now that I randomly noticed, what's up with the Blue Armor secret that looks glitchy at first sight and fills the lower half of the screen with a HOM while you sit inside?

scifista42 said:

@schwerpunk: Now that I randomly noticed, what's up with the Blue Armor secret that looks glitchy at first sight and fills the lower half of the screen with a HOM while you sit inside?

That's intentional. Haven't tested it outside of Chocolate Doom, but it should really just look like a subtle distortion, with just a hint of blue, if you creep right towards the edge.

I didn't imagine people sitting in there for very long, but I guess the height gradations make it possible.

I use HOMs in two other places as well (computer 'screen' secret), and just before the exit (for disorientation). What can I say - I was going through a HOM phase back in January of this year. Don't think I'd make a map like this again.

http://speedy.sh/9Dxsf/Nazisecretbunker.wad

Name: Fisting in a Nazi Secret Bunker
Compatibility: vanilla
Buildtime: under 2 hours
Music: from Wolf3D

A Wolf3D theme map thats mostly tyson.

No time for screenshots on my end due to limited time but at least I was able to poop out a map for on the last day :)

Philnemba said:

http://speedy.sh/9Dxsf/Nazisecretbunker.wad

Name: Fisting in a Nazi Secret Bunker
Compatibility: vanilla

FDA. Super simple everything, the theme "Doom crates in Wolfenstein" might have deserved to be executed better, the secret was hidden in a way I don't like (no in-map hint, but automap reveals everything), but whatever, it was an OK map.

Rushed most of the rest of this over the last couple hours - I'm having dinner now and will finish this tonight!!

schwerpunk said:

That's intentional.

I have to admit, the presence of HOMs in your map doesn't make me happy, not only because I see it as a glitch, but also because it's so generally known as being a glitch that I expect getting bug reports about it directed on myself (as a possible error in texture compilation) when the entire project will be playtested / released.

:)

@an_mutt: Looks awesome!

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Map title : Death awaits
IWAD : Doom 2
Mapname : MAP01
Format : UDMF
* Setup for different difficulties .
* Requires jumping and crouching .
* Uses 3D Floors,Scripts ... etc .
EDIT #2 Link : http://www.mediafire.com/download/ip6q4gphkpch3vb/DeathAwaits.wad

I decided to give this a go, seeing as no one else has reviewed it yet.

Oh dear...

There are good things here. I like the layout of the room with the Archvile in the well, I like the custom "Dude" message on the Blue Key Switch, the blue key room with the Marines encased in glass.

Gameplay needs some serious tweaking, though. That last room with the Cyberdemon took me well over twelve minutes to get through, and I had to be as slow and methodical as possible, utilizing Barons from the previous room to whittle the Cyber down enough, and even then, I had to carefully dash in and out of the area with very little space, just to perhaps get the Cybie with a few mid range shotgun shots, all while dodging imps that I couldn't snipe back.

To me, the solution to this main issue is easy: make the brown sludge in the outer area damaging, but not instakill, and put a few teleports around that lead back to the well area. The map is also in serious need of more rocket ammo, as well as health. It doesn't need to be filled to the brim with the stuff, just a medkit here and there, a few stimpacks, and a box of rockets or two. These things should make the experience a lot more enjoyable.

Some minor issues: the switch to lower the blue key is not very clear, and there are a number of HOMS and texture misalignments. But nothing major. :)

sorry for my absence, a lot of things have gotten in the way since i first posted the map here in September. Its been a very long year! I hope to reintegrate with the doom society as soon as possible... Anyway, Here is the completed map, made for Prboom. I don't believe there are any bugs, and the difficulties are added in. UV will be a serious test of skill!

Enjoy: A Clear Line Drawn
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fwey2xxkzy8u0rd/A%20Clear%20Line%20Drawn%201.1.wad?dl=0

Rock Bottom V2 [Download]

I've made the following changes:

- Both lifts can now be re-activated, making backtracking viable (see below)
- The lock trap is now significantly more difficult to avoid
- A new teleporter enables players to access the final area if locked out
- Fixed some texture misalignments near the start area
- Removed at least most of the tutti-frutti issues

Protester said:

Here is the completed map, made for Prboom.

Enjoy: A Clear Line Drawn
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fwey2xxkzy8u0rd/A%20Clear%20Line%20Drawn%201.1.wad?dl=0

Huh, the HOMs are on the exact same places as before, there are the same texture errors, same demons in a pit, etc. Did you upload the correct map (filename and url both looks the same as the previous ones)? Did you actually test it in PrBoom-plus rather than GlBoom-plus?

scifista42 said:

Huh, the HOMs are on the exact same places as before, there are the same texture errors, same demons in a pit, etc. Did you upload the correct map (filename and url both looks the same as the previous ones)? Did you actually test it in PrBoom-plus rather than GlBoom-plus?

I tested it in prboom+, my bad. I am not very familiar with all the different engines and such.
On a different note, Should i really remove those demons in the pit? I feel there has to be something dangerous down there, and pinkies seem to be the only correct thing...

obake said:

Review

I'm very glad that you liked it, unfortunately i was unable to fix the Blue switch error so i thought of a better way to activate it, I Also made the Arena where the cyberdemon spawns bigger to make movement in it much comfier, Removed Insta-death effect and replaced it by 5 Percent Damaging and created some teleports, hope it's better now .
Link (The same one in the Previous post) : http://www.mediafire.com/download/ip6q4gphkpch3vb/DeathAwaits.wad

Protester said:

I tested it in prboom+, my bad. I am not very familiar with all the different engines and such.
On a different note, Should i really remove those demons in the pit? I feel there has to be something dangerous down there, and pinkies seem to be the only correct thing...

That's what I wanted you to do, to test your map in PrBoom+. When I play your map in PrBoom+, I see HOMs on sky borders and broken tiling of computer screens. This was my post with bug reports back in September (after you posted the "1.1" version of your wad for the first time), and the same issues were present. The demons are annoying only because they're infinitely tall in non-ZDoom ports, so the player can't jump down into the pit when they stand there, he can't even look down on them, not to say kill them.

oops it turns out i don't have enough time to finish this map so i guess i'll just get it in for the 2016 project

- Remembering I had signed up for this project
- Check the thread, ~1h remaining according to UTC-12 time
- Here comes a 1h speedmap
- Realizing that i'm mapping in Ultimate Doom format

Sign me up for 2016, gonna do a map worth 2 maps lol. (Had my name changed from "Solid Snake" because i like changing my username apparently)

If I'm not mistaken, the deadline will pass exactly in 12 hours from now.

There is still 12 hours of time...

Also, changing a map from Doom1 to Doom2 format is as easy as the following 2 steps:
1. Change the map marker name from E*M* to MAP**.
2. Say that your map requires a "Doom 1 textures for Doom 2" texture pack. :)

Damn, you're right. Well i'll carry on then, hoping not to get too drunk during the night.

I decided to make a map for this because why not, and here's the result after several days:

Spite (Screenshot)

It's for limit-removing ports. I tested it in PrBoom+ with -complevel 2 as well as ZDoom, but let me know if there are still bugs. Difficulty settings are implemented.

I drew inspiration from Doom II's map24 (The Chasm), so those that hate that map might hate this one even more. I tried to make sure that there are no inescapable pits, though.

hey pals, it's your good buddy an_mutt with a map that started off being a small speedmap and turned into something large and complex and what the fuck am I doing

i can't put enough quotation marks around the word 'map' so i wont

build time: 16~ hours across 3 days
port: boom

screens:

whyyy do I keep using shadowcasting in large rocky areas

edit: reuploaded with a functioning version that actually works like it's supposed to

10 minutes before deadline, my map is ready!

Name: Space Base Powered By 3
Music: Dninja2.mid from vgmusic.com
Compatibility: Boom
Build time: A couple tens of hours with a whole year of delay between them.

Screenshot:

And now it's 2016 everywhere on Earth, so the deadline is over! From now on, no more new maps will be accepted. Also, no more map updates will be accepted, except for fixes for critical bugs - a critical bug is only such one that can prevent the player from reaching the exit or cause exceptionally massive visual glitches.