Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Avoozl

Death exits in games besides Doom

I was just playing STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl and I got to the first underground lab under the Agroprom Research institute, after collecting Strelok's gear from the secret room I climbed down the ladder through the pipe which connected to the room and the remaining soldiers I didn't yet kill were slowly walking to the pipe entrance, because I was stuck I did a few failed attempts to kill the soldiers so I could leave, during the last one of those attempts the ragdoll of the player model glitched and went spastic during death and went upways almost through the roof, the "do you wish to travel to another area" message popped up and I selected yes just to see what would happen and I was loaded outside and falling through the ground with zero health, and still in first person with the hand in the gun holding position without a gun as if I was alive again, dying usually shows your corpse in third person.

Have you ever had a death exit also happen to you in another game like this?

Death exits were possible in The Newzealand Story (wait a bit after 8:00...) but there weren't many places where pulling one would be useful, except in the case shown in the video.

Commander Keen death exit glitch and Heretic E2M3 timebomb death slide.

A kind of "death exit" was also possible in Bubble Bobble, inside the secret tomb/"diamond city"rooms. If you got killed by the time-up monster ("Rascal") while in such a room, you would exit it rather than respawning in it.

Managed it quite a few times in Deus Ex unintentionally, at least on the PC version. Never triggered it on the PS2 version*, though I didn't go out of my way to try. Maybe I should find out.

*Heavily revised vs. the PC original. TBH I kinda prefer it for being more refined in design, presentation and its higher-poly models, even if it is a downgrade in practically every other sense.

ASD said:

Heretic E2M3 timebomb death slide.

Does that really count in this thread given that it was already directly derived from the Doom engine? Sure, they made some heavy modifications in some areas, but it's still mostly Doom under the hood.