Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Patrol1985

Doom 3 BFG allows mods after all?

That's referring to RBDOOM 3 BFG, which is a source port. I don't know if what's being done there applies to the vanilla game engine or not based on that post.

Either way, I don't think it was ever the case that BFG Edition was completely unmoddable, only that:

• It's not compatible with existing Doom 3 mods due to a different VFS, different game code, and different resource formats and
  • AFAIK id didn't release updated tools for it. (correct me if I'm wrong).

DOOM 3: BFG Edition does support a lot of mods as long as it doesn't involve SDK. I have converted quite a few DOOM 3 mods to the BFG Edition, however, I will only release them if there's a good enough demand.

The one thing I find displeasing about the existence of BFG edition is the fact that people are more likely to make mods for it now rather than the original Doom 3. :(

I doubt it. A lot of people aren't even aware that mods can be used with the BFG Edition. And the ability to mod it is limited, you're pretty much limited to just modding that are done through defs, scripts, materials and particles to some limited extent. DOOM 3 maps tend to work mostly, but nothing radical like Sikkmod.

romulus_ut3 said:

DOOM 3: BFG Edition does support a lot of mods as long as it doesn't involve SDK.

How do you make mod files for Doom3 BFG? Original Doom3 used .pk4 files for simple sound and graphic mods. I f I want to use those for BFG, is there a way to convert them to that new .resources file format? How do you open those new .resources files, and create new ones?

You can't use vanilla BFG for anything at all. You need to use a source port, RBDoom3BFG in particular. The contents of the mod remains extracted, or baked.